Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Working on Acceptance: In Which I Simply Vent

I get resentful sometimes.

I'm learning, slowly, how to handle feeling this way, but it is a work in progress. Without a doubt, the thing that is hardest for me is the fact that my entire schedule relies on other people, big and small.    I have 15 hours a week, when Finn is in preschool, of unfettered freedom.   I simply can't pack everything I need to do into those 15 hours, but my expectations of this free time are always lofty:  I'll go to the gym, make all the jewelry orders, get writing done for the book, clean the house, grocery shop.     If I get one or two of those things done in that time period, it's a lot.

The rest of my week is spent in fits of stops and starts.   Errands with a 4 1/2 year old are torture - one step forward and two steps back the entire time.   Getting him out the door takes 10 mins of negotiating.   Thinking clearly while in a store is next to impossible.   He is either getting into trouble or peppering me with unanswerable questions.   He is like a little dictator - if his needs aren't met immediately he pitches a fit.    Errands that should take half an hour take an hour.

When I'm home, if I can get ten minutes of uninterrupted time it's an accomplishment.   And I can't watch him every minute of every day, so the messes that wait for me if he does actually leave me alone for a bit are staggering.    Greta was different at this age, more able to play independently and not destroy the house, and getting accustomed to the differences between a boy and a girl is taking time.

Sometimes I think I should just chuck out the idea that I can pursue the things that are meaningful to me, postpone my dreams until he's in school full time.   Two years from now.   But I know in my heart that these things that keep my sane - jewelry, writing - make me a better mother overall.     Even though in our day to day lives it doesn't feel like it.   If I had a nickel for every time I said, "IN A MINUTE!" to Finn I would be a rich woman indeed.

And then there are the evening and weekend activities.    I rely on my husband to be home to attend meetings, go to social events, go to the gym, or go do some writing.     We have sitters we use, but we can't afford use them very often.    So I feel like a child asking for permission to go out and do the simplest of things.  And then, of course, his work trumps my needs.  He is the breadwinner in the family, so if he needs to work late my plans have to be put on the back burner,or cancelled.  It gets really frustrating.

In recovery I'm learning about acceptance.    Acceptance of people, places and things.   I know, and accept, that this is just my life stage at the moment, that it won't always be this way.     On my good days I cherish the fact that I can be home with my kids, that I'm there to get Greta off the bus, that I can play with Finn.   On my bad days I just want to speed up time and have more freedom.   I get frustrated with myself when I'm wishing away the way things are at the moment, because I know better, now.    I'm learning to sit in my frustrations, wait out the bad feelings, tolerate boredom, resentment and frustration as simply feelings that will pass.   And they always do.   

But today is one of the bad days.    I have a list a mile long that involves going to three stores, and then making a bunch of jewelry orders that have to be done today.    And Finn isn't in school.    He has already asked me several times when we're going to the playground, when we're going to play a game, and can we have friends over?    The guilt stabs me in my heart.   Who am I to put my needs before his?   I know how today will go:  putting him off for periods of time, forcing myself to stop and play for a bit, and then putting him off for more periods of time.    It is a juggling act that is extremely tiring.

So I decided to write about it.   Vent a little, here, to work through how I'm feeling.   To own my emotions instead of stuffing them, which never works, it only makes me erupt in other more irrational ways. 

I'm trying to name it and claim it.   To set my expectations of today realistically.   I'll do the best I can.  

That's all I can do.

17 comments:

  1. sometimes writing is the best thing to do. that way you don't toss a pillow over him. KIDDING! but stepping away...getting it out of your head...and then moving on.

    here's to a better day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you feel better now that you've written about it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's like that saying ... "you can have it all, just not all at the same time." Problem is, life isn't really like that. How I wish I had seen this post six years ago when I was a stay-at- home mother with a little girl like Finn who was constantly asking me those unanswerable questions and demanding lunch or going to the park and could, if left to her own devices, demolish a room in record timing. My whole world revolved around when my husband would get home so I could get a break. I felt totally isolated, since I wasn't a good "playgroup mommy" and guilty that I wasn't loving my status as an at-home mom and extra guilty that I wasn't spending my every waking moment enriching my daughter's life. I hated not having a dime of my "own" money and I resented the rich life my husband had as a sales professional, getting wined and dined and going on business trips and having contact with adult humans.

    Would that I had learned acceptance. In the end, for a million reasons, my daughter's father and I divorced, but I still remember those days like they were yesterday. My daughter is 9 now, but she still asks me unanswerable questions and drives me bananas some days as I'm frantically trying multitasking family needs (like dinner) with work needs (like the document I'm supposed to have edited for a meeting first thing in the morning).

    I guess I would just say be kind to yourself. Give yourself the same measure of understanding that you try to give Finn even though he's making you crazy. We all have those impossible days ... just breathe through it as best you can and know that there are other people out there who sympathize. Rock on, Ellie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beanie - I do,thanks. Sometimes I just need a place to put it, you know?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ellie,

    You are absolutely amazing! I truly hope you feel better. Just know that you deserve the same gentleness and patience you give Finn. In fact, I believe that if we all treated ourselves the way we treat the children in our lives, especially when it comes to expectations, we would all be breathing a little lighter. Now, if only I could take my own advice...

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ellie - this morning thinking over the day - go to work - drive the volleyball team - dentist appts - snack mom - school registration - etc etc etc had a mini tamtrum -"when will I ever get a day for just me???"
    Hang in sister :) Because we are in the sisterhood right? xoxo
    I love your posts, they are always just right on...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ellie, You are the true superhero. You have so much on your plate yet you take the time to suit up and save poor souls with a few kind words. You have super powers. You'll get it done, I have faith in you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Vent away sister! I've been there, read the book and seen the movie.

    Guilt is dispensed to Mothers with the placenta, I believe (or on special ink on adoption papers). No matter what you do, it never feels like it's enough.

    Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't tell you how many "you drive me nuts" or "you hurt my feelings" or "how dare you treat me that way" letters I've written but not sent in my lifetime.

    It helps. For me, when I'm hurt or angry, I have to write everything out and make sure it's grammatically correct and as scathing as possible and then...well, I'm over it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I caught myself yesterday counting down the number of years until my two boys are out of the house, and maybe my husband and I can have a real VACATION?! Then I realized that I will probably have to go back into the workforce at that time in order to pay for them to go to college. :) So I guess there always WILL be something. :) Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amen.

    Love Konnie's "I've been there, read the book and seen the movie"!! :) Oh, yes. Amen to all of that.

    Do recognize, Ellie, that it's a HUGE thing to acknowledge that it is Only A Day. It might be a bad one, or just not the best one, but it is Only A Day and it will pass. There are better ones to come. :) (ya know, like Monday, when DWTS is on! ;))

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ugh. the way you feel in this post? That's how I would be ALL THE FREAKING TIME if I had to stay home with the toddler. Thank god we have great daycare and involved grandparents, especially since we have no choice but for me to work.

    At least at work I have some mental freedom, and can actually finish an entire thought without interruption, even though it leaves me with exactly 3 hours a week (plus lunchtimes - woohoo! 2 more hours per week) to run all my errands and do anything I want to do without the kid around.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks, everyone, for the supportive comments. It helps a lot to know I'm not the only one...

    It's 6pm now -- just about made it through today. Wasn't one of the best days ever, but certainly not one of the worst. It helps to be able to let it out, vent a bit. And tomorrow is a new day. :)

    -Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Glad to read in the comments you made it through the day :) Those are tough... I'm having one today. I wanted FIVE MINUTES, and barely got two before my husband came home and I threw dinner around and pouted and went off and took a bath while he started bed time.
    Luckily these days don't happen every day :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dear Ellie,

    Please remember something before Finn drives you crazy-going to the playground, having a friend over, even playing with him-these are WANTS, not needs. Don't get me wrong-they are good things to do-but they are not needs. He's not going to go hungry, or freeze, or get dehydrated if he doesn't do these things.

    Your job, chores-these are needs. Your family needs to eat, have clean clothes (or at least, decently smelling), and have sanitary living spaces. ACtivities that financially support your family, support your sobreity-these are needs. If Finn has to be upset in order for those needs to be met, let him be upset. He NEEDS to be safe. He doesn't NEED Mommy to be there every single minute entertaining him.


    Putting someone else's needs in front of your own can be admirable. But don't put someone else's wants over your needs. Your needs are more important.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you, Mommyomy - that is the best advice. And this will be my new mantra:

    "Putting someone else's needs in front of your own can be admirable. But don't put someone else's wants over your needs".

    Thank you for this.

    -Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ellie,

    You are absolutely amazing! I truly hope you feel better. Just know that you deserve the same gentleness and patience you give Finn. In fact, I believe that if we all treated ourselves the way we treat the children in our lives, especially when it comes to expectations, we would all be breathing a little lighter. Now, if only I could take my own advice...

    :)

    ReplyDelete