Thursday, March 25, 2010

Unsticking the Stuck

Today is a new day, and an opportunity for a fresh start.  

Yesterday was baaaad.   I feel odd complaining about the drudgery of life, because I know - I do, truly know - that things could be so much worse.     But sometimes it all catches up to me, and if I don't vent it out, talk about it, I get into trouble.    I went to be early last night just be done with the day.    It was one of those days - and thankfully they don't happen often - when I thought about drinking.   Just one.  Just one to take the edge off.    I didn't come close to drinking, but I hate it when my mind goes there.   HATE it.

Today the sun is shining, I'm rested, and I'm trying to look at things with a new perspective.   

It is so easy to get hung up in the way things are - at least it is for me.    I can wallow in misery, in being stuck.   Lately, I have felt really stuck.    It's hard to pull up and out, and look at the overall balance in life, but it became clear to me yesterday:  something isn't working, and I need to make some changes.     Finn needs more than I can give him - he's very active, very attached, and he knows exactly how to play my heart strings (and, of course, I let him).    

After a day of negotiating, whining, lots of tears and constant needing, I was at the end of my rope.   He did something bad - again - something he knows is a big hot button for me, something that always elicits punishment:   he spit on Greta.     As I'm sending him to the time-out room (no toys, sparsely furnished, nothing to destroy) I realized he just wants my attention, and he is going to get it any way he can.    Even when I'm punishing him, it puts him at the center of things, which is where he wants to be.   All the time.  

While he was crying and screaming in the time-out room ("MOM!  MOM!  I have a cold and you're not even taking CARE of me!    I hate you and I hate everyone in da whole WORLD!") I flopped down on my bed and had myself a good cry, too.     Greta came in and said, "Is there anything I can do to help you, Mom?"   This, of course, made me cry harder.   

We all fell asleep early (Steve was working late).    Today, as I'm driving him to school, I realized I had to make some kind of change.   Finn and I are miserable on the days we're together all day.   I'm tired of feeling guilty about that, as much as I'm sure he's tired of being in trouble a lot.

I'm going to look into sending him to school another half day per week, so he would go three half days instead of four.   I don't know that I can afford it, but I'm going to try.     I have resisted this idea, thinking that I should be able to handle it, four full days home with a 4 year old kid.   But I can't.    And it's okay. 

I'm trying to stop looking at parenting like something I should want to do all the time.   I simply don't.  I'm not equipped for it, and there are too many other things I'm interested in.   I need and want to make more money.    I want to pursue my dreams of writing, too.      I'm tired of having too many things at the top of the list.   My  kids will always come first, of course they will.    But in order for them to come first, successfully, I have to take care of myself.  

I'm stuck.  And when I'm stuck I'm trying to try a new tactic:  change something.   Move a piece on the gameboard of life around and see what happens.    I can always move another piece if I need to, down the road.  

So we'll see.   Thanks again to everyone for all the support - through comments and emails.    It really helps to know I'm not alone.

17 comments:

  1. When my daughter was 18 months I came to a realization. First, we needed money. It was increasingly difficult to be home with her and not be able to afford to go do activities. Second, she needed more stimulation than I could give her when I was moping around about how we had no money. So we put her in very part-time daycare while I looked for a job and got used to having her be away from me. Which was still difficult. In a few months, I went back to work which helped the money situation. Anyway, I guess my point is that you are definitely not alone. Sometimes things have to shift around to make it work, but it will be all okay in the end!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have no reason to feel guilty. You are doing the best you can, we all are. If you send Finn to school for another 1/2 day that will give you more time to work on your beautiful beading/jewlery making. Which in turn will bring in a little more money. Also every parent needs a break. And just so you know your not the only one. I have a 17 month old son and after the weekend home I almost skip to my car after dropping him off at day care on Monday morning. It's not that I don't love my son but I need some time to myself too. I work full time b/c my family needs the insurance that my company offers and with my husband as a farmer the extra income is needed too. That and I worked to hard for my degree to just let it sit and collect dust.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Ellie, we all get sucked into the notion of endless maternal sacrifice being the one true path to womanly fulfillment. But it's not true. We are human beings with our own wants and needs aswell and it's perfectly o.k. for you to make time for yourself to meet those. Your children will benefit from having a mother who is happier with her life. So go for it, guilt free!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You will never do your children a disservice by letting them out with children their own age a little more often.
    Mommy needs sanity. You could be a mom that just turns on the TV for them and ignores until their dry cereal runs out.
    Hope your day is better. It's raining here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I was going through my divorce I told my therapist I felt guilty enjoying myself when my kids were with their dad...I had it in my head that I should be sitting around missing them or something...I don't know. I actually said "I think I should want to be with them all of the time." She laughed at me! Well...okay, I took some constructive criticism that day. No one wants to parent all the time. That would kill us! No fun at all being a crazy or dead mommy. Hugs honey. We've all been there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As my mom says, stop "should-ing" on yourself and do what you need to do so everyone is happy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't really add anything -- everyone's hit it on the mark, as far as I am concerned. I've seen that nothing sets my daughter off like being home with me but NOT getting my full attention. I don't think it's healthy for anyone out of infancy to spend all their time focusing on anyone else, whether it's moms and kids or newlyweds.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Any decision made in the best interest of your child is the right one. Don't beat your self up about it, this is what he needs. My oldest was similar, she really needed that day to day action from school. Good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Elli,

    I was droping by to wish you a better day today and it sounds like it is! I am a mother who works outside of the home and very often mothers who work inside the home ask me if I wish I could stay home. I smilie sweetly and say nope, what you do is waaaaaayyyy harder than what I do!

    Peace and blessings to you!
    Brandy

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was thinking about your previous post last night and thought "why not an extra morning in preschool? I am in the same boat as you are with a very active, attached 3 l/2 year old and am working out the math on how to send him extra hours to school in the fall. So glad you're having a better day. It's difficult but doable this parenting thing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good for you, Ellie. Finn will really get a lot out of that extra "kid" time - and so will you.

    It's not right for everyone, but I know that in our family, the toddler and I are both happier when we get to do our own thing for at least part of the day.

    There's a reason they have to PAY people to do childcare... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. We have a rule in our house. One day of preschool for the age you are. At first I felt really guilty about the two mornings a week the boys went. They were only two, and as a SAHM, I felt I really didn't deserve time off. After all, I chose to stop working to be their full time mother.

    The next year they went up to three full days - the day was divided into regular and Judaic studies, and I wanted them to get both. Two two weeks before the baby was born we switched them to five full days, and we never looked back.

    I realized something about being a mom - you are always on call. This is a 24/7 job, with no vacation and no sick leave. It's no wonder the kids drive us nuts - we probably drive them a little nuts, too. It's incredibly easy to forget that you're anything but a Mommy, but amnesia is not a healthy state of mind.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A happy mommy equals a happy child. Do what you need to do! :) You'll all be better for it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm sorry things have been so rough for you lately. It sounds like you're "on" all the time. My husband and I are in the opposite arrangement. I work full-time while he's home with our sons. Even though I recognize how much he does for our family I'll never really know how challenging it is to be a stay-at-home parent.

    If I'm stressed at work I can go for a walk or take a break and chat with a friend. If I have a bad day it ends at 5pm. When you're at home you have the joys of being with your kids but you have ALL of the lows too. And you don't get a break. Even when your husband comes home you're still "on". I commend you for your patience and ability to keep yourself sane.

    I hope you're able to find that balance. You deserve that space for yourself to recharge with the things you enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  15. After being home for 5 years straight, I recently went back to work part-time for about 10-12 hours a week. It has made a WORLD of difference for me. I love my kids so much but I needed to do something for myself. So I put myself back on the list. And I have to say, it has been really nice. Really.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good for you, Ellie. Finn will really get a lot out of that extra "kid" time - and so will you.

    It's not right for everyone, but I know that in our family, the toddler and I are both happier when we get to do our own thing for at least part of the day.

    There's a reason they have to PAY people to do childcare... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. When my daughter was 18 months I came to a realization. First, we needed money. It was increasingly difficult to be home with her and not be able to afford to go do activities. Second, she needed more stimulation than I could give her when I was moping around about how we had no money. So we put her in very part-time daycare while I looked for a job and got used to having her be away from me. Which was still difficult. In a few months, I went back to work which helped the money situation. Anyway, I guess my point is that you are definitely not alone. Sometimes things have to shift around to make it work, but it will be all okay in the end!

    ReplyDelete