Monday, March 29, 2010

Diary of a Wimpy Mother. Maybe.

I'm not very uptight.  

Maybe a better way of putting it is that I tend to be fairly relaxed about a lot of stuff (except, of course, for the things I'm not at all relaxed about). 

I wonder about this when it comes to certain things, though.  Like movies.  This weekend I took the kids (ages 7 1/2 and 4 1/2) to see Diary of a Wimpy Kid.   Greta has been reading the first book of this series - often out loud to Finn - and both of them were clamoring to see the movie.   I had seen the trailers, read some of the book, and had a vague idea of what the movie was about.     It is rated PG, which according to filmratings.com means: 
PARENTS ARE URGED TO USE "PARENTAL GUIDANCE", AS THE MOTION PICTURE MAY CONTAIN SOME MATERIAL PARENTS MIGHT NOT LIKE FOR THEIR YOUNGER CHILDREN TO VIEW.
Not particularly helpful, really.   There is a lot of stuff I "might not like" for them to see, of course.   You can look up specific movies, and it says Diary of a Wimpy Kid contains "rude humor and language".     Hmmmm.     If you consider word like "moron" and "booger" rude, then yes, it does.     I don't want my kids thinking it is okay to go around calling people morons, any more than I want them to think it's okay to run after people with a booger on your finger (both of which happen in the movie).   

But where is the line?   How much do I have to censor them from what is happening all around them in real life anyway?   A good percentage of Greta's classmates will see this movie (we saw three of them at the theater, in fact) and they'll be running around saying 'moron', so she is going to hear it.   

The movie's plot (the book's plot, actually) is centered on popularity, or lack thereof.    Greg is trying to find a way to increase his social status, and differentiate himself from Rowley, his best friend, who he perceives as dragging him down.     Do I want Greta thinking about this stuff now?   No.   But she is thinking about it.    She has been for the past two years.

I would rather be proactive than reactive when it comes to this type of thing.    The movie was cute, and funny, and chock full of bodily function humor.     There was one scene that involved Greg and Rowley finding a girly magazine under the big brother's bed - the girl on the cover is clad in a bikini and sitting on a motorcycle.    I flinched.    Then Rowley says, "I didn't know your brother was into motorcycles!"   Neither Greta nor Finn had any clue about the adult undertones of this scene.

It is such a balancing act, figuring out appropriateness.    Finn is already much more worldly than Greta, because he's a second child, and he doesn't seem any worse for wear.   He may be growing up a little faster than I would prefer (he thought Dora was a "baby show" when he was barely three - Greta didn't even know the term "baby show" until she got to Pre-Kindergarten) but he seems to roll with it, for the most part.

I never know what is going to impact them negatively, and I can't seem to guess well, either.   I thought the first Harry Potter movie would be scary to them.   Wrong.    But an innocent scene that involved fire in a cartoon aimed at 4 and 5 year olds kept them up for three nights straight.

When we sat down in the theater, I cast my eyes around desperately, hoping to see other younger kids there, seeking that acceptance that I wasn't the only Mom who would bring a 4 1/2 year old to a PG movie.   I wasn't the only one, not by a long shot.    But another friend wouldn't bring her 7 year old to a PG movie, no matter what the topic.     It's confusing.

We used the movie to have an interesting discussion about popularity at the dinner table that night.   And I, of course, had to go into Lecture Mode about why we don't chase people with boogers or call people morons.   I was especially clear with Finn - I don't need him showing up at preschool calling another kid a moron and thinking it's okay because I let him watch it in a movie.   He rolled his eyes at me, and said "It's just a movie, Mom.   I'm a nice kid.  I wouldn't call anyone a bad name." 

At 4 1/2, Finn completely understands that the things he sees in movies aren't real.   When something scares him, or upsets him, we talk about it.     He has a good sense of self; he doesn't think that just because he sees something on TV or in the movies that it is a green light to go out into the world and do those things.   I like that he is figuring this out now.   I like that we have platforms to discuss certain topics.    I feel like if I simply tell them they "aren't old enough" to see a movie like Diary of a Wimpy Kid it will create a mystique around it that would simply make it more compelling and alluring.   

But, like I said, I tend to be more relaxed about things like this.  I have no idea if it will come back to bite me, or not.   

I would love to hear your thoughts on this, too.   I think.

13 comments:

  1. I think each kid is different and you should trust your gut with what you think is appropriate. You know your kids best. If your relationship is open enough that you frequently discuss what's going on and if your kids are comfortable coming to you when they have questions I see no reason not to let them explore.

    The important thing is that you're there to explain, fill in the gaps, and use the movie as a medium for starting an important conversation. I tend to be a bit more relaxed too, and I'm also anxious. All we can do is guide and educate our kids. And it sounds like you're doing a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like I said on facebook, I always used that website when the kids were younger.

    You did bring up something interesting that I have always thought about which is the different way we think about sex and nudity and violence in movies. We used to view the rating info on a movie and not go if it had sexual themes or nudity (which is the most natural thing in the world) but it was okay if there was violence, battles and fight scenes (which I think is probably more damaging to a child). The perfect example was Jurassic Park. I watched that again the other day and thought "how the hell did I let me kids watch this? there is people dying and getting shot and battling with dinosaurs!"
    Shouldn't the expressions of love and caring be less offensive to us?
    I do have to admit though, this weekend my husband was watching that new series "Spartacus" and there are entire scenes that take place during orgies with lots of sex and nudity in the background and when my son walked in (who is 18 and is probably HAVING sex, but I'm totally in denial about that) my husband and I both reached for the remote to turn it off. Just silly.

    @MJBUtah (sorry, when I tried to post this earlier using Typepad it wouldn't let me, so I'm fake anonymous)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I often disagree with Cute Husband about what is appropriate. I really prefer almost no television and nothing too mature. But he wants them to watch Naked Gun. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm really (really) picky about what my kids watch. I know very few people who are as uptight about it as I am. I didn't let my son watch or even read Harry Potter until he was 11.

    Sometimes when I take a step back and look at my kids I have to admit that I've sheltered them too much, because now my son can't watch a movie with mild language in it without it really upsetting him.

    It's so hard with kids. I use the website http://www.kidsinmind.com/ because I think the rating system is impossible to go by anymore. That website has every single thing that happens in the movie that might be offensive. I like it very much, and if the movie is in question I let my son read the information and decide for himself.

    My youngest, on the other hand I probably need to shelter a little bit more. But that's always the way it goes, isn't it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was way too cautious about this stuff. My adult kids and I can laugh about it now but I had zero sense of humour about it back then. I made so many parenting decisions out of the fear that if I didn't make the right decision they would be ruined for life. My daughter had to smuggle the book "The Indian in the Cupboard" home from the library because she knew I'd flip out because it had magic in it. I think it did anyway. You see if something had even a hint of something in it I wrote it off as bad. I wasn't teaching them discernment. I was teaching them that the world is so scary and can't be trusted. Oh vey.

    If I could do it over again I would be more concerned about the underlying theme of a movie/book than about specific things in it that might be offensive. I could not see the forest for the trees.

    In the end (as I found out) the movie that is going on in the home - the messages given them on a daily basis by their parents, etc. shapes them much more than anything else.

    ReplyDelete
  6. First we will be seeing the Wimpy kid movie (kids are 8 and 6).

    I have been very strict no realistic war games (Star Wars type games allowed if rating is right). This is a BIG battle in our house, as apparently 8-9 yr old boys are genetically programmed to desire reaslistic war games in grade 3. I have held firm. Other parents have not. It is not easy.

    However, on other things, like TV shows with themes too old for them we accidentally lost that war when they watched a show while Husband and I were watching a hockey game one night . Hard to put the Genie back in the bottle now.

    If they use the language I don't approve of, I threaten to only let them watch Sesame Street and Mickey Mouse Club until high school.

    I wish perhaps I had not let them watch some of the shows they have watched, but seriously, how else would I ever get my Scrabble moves made on Facebook. I'm only human!

    So to recap, I picked the battle I thought I had to win and was uncharateristically laid back about the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have really relaxed after the birth of my second son. With K, there was no soda, no violence, no toy guns, etc. Now, with 5.5 years difference between the two, Ant is going to be exposed to things much earlier. With Ant, frankly, he's going to play with light sabers if I allow him to watch Star Wars or not. And the world does not come crashing down. He's much like Finn, telling me things like, "You know I am a big kid. I am better than that!" So far, he's been right!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Full disclosure: I don't have children. Yet.

    My mom was pretty laid back about what we watched as well. I certainly wasn't going to R rated movies as a child, but we saw our fair share of things that probably were meant for older kids.

    Just the other day I was talking with my husband about watching the Rocky Horror Picture Show as a tween. I enjoyed it because it was funny and they sang and danced. It wasn't until I saw it as an adult that I realized just how sexual and wildly inappropriate it was.

    I just didn't pick up on a lot of it. But - you hit the nail on the head when you said: Greta is already thinking about it.

    I think it's a parent's responsibility to expose their kids to issues like being unpopular or being called names, because frankly - it's happening. Look at what happened in South Hadley with the little 15 year old. Bullying and name calling and being the "loser" happens exponentially more often than the parent thinks.

    If you can teach your kids coping skills by talking about it, by bringing them to a movie that shows them: they aren't the only ones, then that's a parenting win, in my opinion.

    But then again, I think boogers are funny :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I use "Common Sense Media" as one aid for deciding what I will let my kids see what I will not. I do not allow them to watch regular TV (most commercials are highly inappropriate - so when they watch football with hubs, he pauses or fast forwards over the commercials), and there are MANY movies their peers have seen that they will not. Example? Iron Man, Spider Man, any of the superhero movies. Diary of a Wimpy Kid is another they will not see or read, until they're at least in 4th grade. My reason is not because I give a damn about buggers, or farts, or the stupid boy humor. It's because don't feel my twins need to know already (in 2nd grade) what pressure, meanness and social issues they may or may not find, in Middle School. This book/movie, is about a Middle School boy (in Texas, middle school starts in 6th grade, much to my displeasure!), and my boys and girl, are only in 2nd and 3rd grade. Two years ago, at the school book fair, that book was FLYING off the shelf at their Elementary school. I was annoyed then, to have to even explain what a "wimp" was, and why they would not, and COULD NOT read that book. :-/ Maybe I shelter then too much? IMO, middle school will be hard enough - why jade them before it even hits?

    ReplyDelete
  10. We saw this movie and I wanted to add that I thought the message was good for my kids to hear: be yourself and you will have friends. Be good to the friends you have. Betraying for friends for the sake of popularity is no way to go. Choose your friends wisely. And most importantly it CAN be cool to dance with your mom!

    My kids in grades 1 and 3 already know about popularity and being cool/uncool. These concepts were not introduced by the movie. But what you do with this was and I liked the message.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Really interesting points, eveyone, and some great information like links, etc. I appreciate it!

    -Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think each kid is different and you should trust your gut with what you think is appropriate. You know your kids best. If your relationship is open enough that you frequently discuss what's going on and if your kids are comfortable coming to you when they have questions I see no reason not to let them explore.

    The important thing is that you're there to explain, fill in the gaps, and use the movie as a medium for starting an important conversation. I tend to be a bit more relaxed too, and I'm also anxious. All we can do is guide and educate our kids. And it sounds like you're doing a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Full disclosure: I don't have children. Yet.

    My mom was pretty laid back about what we watched as well. I certainly wasn't going to R rated movies as a child, but we saw our fair share of things that probably were meant for older kids.

    Just the other day I was talking with my husband about watching the Rocky Horror Picture Show as a tween. I enjoyed it because it was funny and they sang and danced. It wasn't until I saw it as an adult that I realized just how sexual and wildly inappropriate it was.

    I just didn't pick up on a lot of it. But - you hit the nail on the head when you said: Greta is already thinking about it.

    I think it's a parent's responsibility to expose their kids to issues like being unpopular or being called names, because frankly - it's happening. Look at what happened in South Hadley with the little 15 year old. Bullying and name calling and being the "loser" happens exponentially more often than the parent thinks.

    If you can teach your kids coping skills by talking about it, by bringing them to a movie that shows them: they aren't the only ones, then that's a parenting win, in my opinion.

    But then again, I think boogers are funny :)

    ReplyDelete