Saturday, March 13, 2010

Supernova

I lost it today.

It wasn't over anything big.   Finn did something for the umpteen millionth time, and the umpteen millionth and first time, it turns out, was one time too many.    I don't even want to get in to what he did, he was just doing what four and a half-year olds do, and besides what he did wasn't even the reason I lost it.   Not really.

Like an earthquake deep on the sea floor that only causes a small swell in the middle of the ocean, but by the time it reaches shore it is a tidal wave - full of force and momentum and capable of massive destruction- my frustration, anger and resentments had been building and building, and I didn't even know it.

I saw that Finn had done this thing, again, and some switch flipped in my head.   A deafening silence, and then a roar.

Supernova.

There I am, my rage like a tidal wave poised to crash ashore, inside it all the debris of the week roiling away:  the countless snacks fetched, sibling fights refereed, messes cleaned.   The momentum of it propelled by the force of the constant negotiations to do the simplest of things, the inconveniences, false starts, boredom and pressures of our daily lives.     The constant-ness of it all built up inside me, and suddenly I couldn't take it for one. more. second.

There I am, consumed by pure, undiluted rage; it is burning in my head like a white hot coal.    There is nothing else, only anger.    I want to burst into a million pieces, I want to run away, I want to fling myself on the floor and wail for hours on end.   I want to fall apart.   Dammit, I just want to fall apart.

What I do is scream.    I scream at, around and over Finn.   I run downstairs and and burst into tears.    The tidal wave has come ashore, and I'm held captive by its force.  Nothing to do but wait, let the tears flow and flow.  

Eventually, the tide of my anger recedes, and I'm left standing like a lone survivor, surveying the wreckage.   Finn is upstairs lying on his bed, crying soft, hiccuping sobs.    I'm spent, exhausted, my rage evaporated and a stone of guilt sits in my stomach.   

I slowly make my way upstairs, as unsure of what to do as I've ever been.   He is lying on his side, his blanket crammed in his mouth, his shoulders heaving.      I have no words.  I can't make the words come.    

I rub his back until his breathing slows.   He is asleep.

I have never known what to do with rage.   When I drank, I had a built-in rip cord; if I got too close to any undiluted negative emotion, I'd have a drink, or think about the drink I'd have later, and I had my work-around.

I sit awhile, looking at Finn's sleeping face.    I resist the urge to let the mother-guilt take the helm, the babbling voices that tell me:  see?   you're not cut out for this.    Instead I force myself to look inside, at the ugly distorted troll of rage crouching within.   I mentally reach out and shake its hand:   so that's what you look like.    Not so very nice to meet you.   But I acknowledge that you are here.   That you are a part of me.    But you are not driving this bus, I am.   I am good and  patient and kind.   I can make a mistake, and I can own it and move on.   

So make yourself comfortable, but don't expect to have much to do.

18 comments:

  1. Goosebumps. Allover.

    I use the same metaphor with the bus and the monster. My monster is anxiety, but it has to sit at the back of the bus because I'm driving and I'm not taking my eyes off the road to feed it.

    Much love to you and your boy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay that was me yesterday too. Though I'm not patient by nature, I will myself to be. But yesterday too I hit the limit. It was not pretty.

    Thank you again for making me feel not so alone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's nature's way of teaching children there is only so much and so far they can push-that parents are not maids or entertainers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like what Mommyomy (great name!) commented. How true and I've never thought of it that way. Thanks as always for the authenticity Ellie. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've got tears in my eyes.
    Been there too many times to count. You described it perfectly Ellie. I used to be able to tame it by calling my husband and asking him to stop at the liquor store on the way home... now? I'm still learning how to cope with it. I have to walk away before it gets bad, but sometimes it sneaks up and takes over.
    And that's when my Fynn says "I'm so sorry you yelled at me" and I cry my eyes out.
    Hugs to you tonight, lady.
    (and I wore my ring today - I LOVE it! It got me through my first restaurant outing w/o booze... staring at the bar...)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Mommyomy for your comment, I agree totally. I know we all feel so guilty when we lose it against our kids, but sometimes? They are just insane and 1,000,001 times of something is toooooo much. Period. We adults are human, and 99% of the time we are patient. But the kids gotta learn that we are human, too. They'll appreciate it when they're older. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post. I have felt the stone of guilt in my stomach and it helps to read that you have too. -Karin in CT

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, I have been there too - I think we all have. Not easy at all, especially when the coping mechanism you have always relied on (drink) is no longer there to fall back on.

    Don't beat yourself up. There's only so much anyone can take. Just take a deep breath and keep going...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have goosebumps also. Great post! I find myself there sometimes too and when the rage is spent, I try hard not to be consumed with so much guilt. Being a mother is by far the hardest position I've ever held in life! You did good though! Every day is a new day :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. There is great comfort in how you capture the rage that can well up in me as a mom. I generally just feel extremely guilty for coming apart.. to know that others have moments they come unhinged.. it takes some of the loneliness and isolating out of it.. and that wanting to reach for a way to dull the feelings.. a drink, bag of chips, pills, nap (which is my new escape).. Thank you Ellie for dragging it out into the light.. it's power lies in its darkness.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's hard to learn life's lessons, sometimes, whether we're 4 or 40. I have done this too many times to count but you gave me an idea. Next time I'll visualize a troll when I feel it coming on and beat the tar out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I totally relate. The afterward, I always try to at least apologize afterward. Usually I worry that's not enough, my apology, to take away that baby's pain, hiccups and tears. :( Then at times, I remember I'm human too; and I give myself a break, and know that honesty and an apology, are the best I can do after a blow up.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I get it...that rage...uncontrollable...wanting to swallow everything in its path. Stay strong.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ugh! I have that same rock of guilt in my stomach just by reading your post. I can be patient with a classroom of 32 teenagers. I can pretend to empathize with the passive aggressive student who argues with me everyday about writing his assignments down each day. I can politely ask the gangsta wanna be in the hall to take of his hat and pull up his pants. So why do I let out a blood curdling scream when my 7 year old runs up over the stairs to get whatever it happens to be that he thinks he has to take on the five minute ride to the grocery store. I can shout that I am DONE. WITH. YOU. when my four year old has whined for the second hour straight even thought I know it is just because she is tired and needs me to sit with her more than I need to move the laundry around. I end up asking myself every time, "How would YOU feel, oh thin skinned one, if someone yelled at you like that?" "Why are you nicer to the children of strangers than your own?" I am pretty sure that it happens when I have spent a disproportionate amount of time taking care of other people than I taking care of myself. Still working on that! But I'd like to think that Mommyomy is right!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have yelled at my kids. Many times. And if there are drinks around or not...I always feel like I should be better. They are little. I should be the one who can restrain myself. But I don't, I scream, and then I have to let them know why I did it and that I love them no matter how much I yell.
    Parenting 101. Never Easy. Your new 'clear' vision? Much harder! But you're doing it. You're pushing through!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's posts like these that make me realize that there is one way to be a perfect mother, but a thousand ways to be a good one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I totally relate. The afterward, I always try to at least apologize afterward. Usually I worry that's not enough, my apology, to take away that baby's pain, hiccups and tears. :( Then at times, I remember I'm human too; and I give myself a break, and know that honesty and an apology, are the best I can do after a blow up.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have goosebumps also. Great post! I find myself there sometimes too and when the rage is spent, I try hard not to be consumed with so much guilt. Being a mother is by far the hardest position I've ever held in life! You did good though! Every day is a new day :)

    ReplyDelete