Tuesday, March 16, 2010

My Name is Ellie, And I'm A Recovering Transmogrifier

A wonderful, wise, funny woman I knew in recovery (sadly, she passed away on New Year's Eve) used to say all the time, "what other people think of me is none of my business".

For a long time, I laughed when she said this, because it's funny.    But I think I'm only now beginning to understand the deeper meaning behind the humor.

See, I'm all up in other peoples' heads, way more than I should be.    I have always been hyper-observant; I scan a room full of people, watch facial expressions and gesticulations and draw all sorts of conclusions in my head.  See that woman, how she's leaning away from her husband?   They had a fight tonight.    And her, over there, who keeps looking at the floor, she feels completely out of place.   And that couple holding hands so tightly their knuckles are white?   They are either deeply in love or they want the world to think they are.    I can go on and on like this.  I have no idea if my observations are correct, but I can no better stop them than I could breathing.   It's just the way I'm hardwired.   I see everything.  

Maybe it was because I was a shy, introspective kid.     I felt out of place most of the time, and watching how other people moved through the world gave me clues on how to, well, be.    Shape-shifting 101.    It is a craft I fine-tuned over many years.   I never really understood myself, so I'd quickly figure out who you wanted me to be, and transmogrify into that person right before your eyes.   I was very good at it.     So good at it, in fact, that I lost all sense of me.    This didn't bother me when I was drinking; it came in very handy, in fact.    Alcohol was the liquid mortar that held my characters together.   In a sense, I was method acting all the time. 

It's a different story now that I'm sober.   The past two and a half years have been spent trying to piece myself together from the inside out.    I used to draw my entire sense of self-worth from external cues;  if you were happy with me, I was happy with me.   End of story.   

If I'm going to be successful drawing my sense of self-worth from the inside, I can't be spending too much time all up in other peoples' heads.   It is one thing to pass the time at a boring party by trying to figure people out through their facial reactions and body language.   It is another thing altogether to think every facial tic, innuendo, or gesture is all about me.     

If someone glances over my shoulder while we're talking, or blinks slowly, or looks down at the floor - I'm crushed.    Oh man, I'm boring them, they just saw someone over there they would rather talk to, I'm making a pathetic fool of myself.    I can get all that from a blink or a glance.    Imagine what I can do with words.

I can spend hours ruminating over someone's turn of phrase until I've turned a passing remark in to a scathing dissertation about me and everything I've ever stood for.   Or thought I've stood for.    It is tiring, and it gets me exactly nowhere, because instead of reaching within myself, I'm scrabbling for clues from everyone around me.   But it's a tough habit to break. 

Because, really, if I'm comfortable with who I am, what I believe, what I want from life, it doesn't matter what you think.    I'm trying to strike that delicate balance between wanting you to like me, and not altering my sense of self in the process.

So: what other people think of me is none of my business.  If I'm not spending all my mental energy wondering about what you think of me, I can figure out what I think of me.

But you still like me, right?  RIGHT?

18 comments:

  1. This is my #1 mantra. I heard it for the first time when I was just realizing how codependency had taken over (and was ruining) my life. It is so powerful. I hope it works for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can relate to so much of this Ellie. I'm quick to write people off if I think they aren't paying attention when others are speaking... I notice things that probably mean nothing but to me, it's like the end of the world :)
    I'm going to start saying that line to myself over and over... thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All that observing and deciding what's going on in other people's heads. It's what writers do.

    See you were a writer all along and didn't know it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ruminating, a smarter word for "stinkin' thinkin'". ;) i am trying to get over my addiction to worrying about what others think about me. when i am able, i find myself so much more at peace. i shall adopt your friend's saying too, if i may. :)

    ps - i still like you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am the same way. I also keep myself awake at night ruminating over every word said and how I might have been misunderstood. I feel pressure to always appear happy in social situations. I am trying to learn to just be me. Any suggestions? Thanks, Veronica.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Veronica -

    I'm still feeling my way through all this, but I do know that talking about it with people who are safe really helps. Getting others' perspectives on a situation helps me differentiate from what is mine, what I need to own, and what is just a useless rumination cycle. It helps me see that it isn't all about me.

    Also - it gives me courage to set boundaries, or stand up for myself when it is warranted. I go on my guy feelings a lot - if something is making me angry, resentful, or needing to feel 'fake' - I feel it in my gut like a knot of anxiety. In trying to learn to be 'real' - I experiment with not having the false reaction - sometimes no reaction is all that is needed. Not falling into the happy face when I just don't feel like it. I feels cruel, to me, but it is just a part of keeping my boundaries healthy, and my reactions real.

    I don't even know if that makes sense - like I said I'm still learning about it. But basically, if my instincts are setting off alarms bells - like I'm morphing who I am to make someone else happy, or to validate their emotions when I don't feel I agree, I just fall silent and give myself some time to think it through. My impulsive responses are almost always the wrong ones (i.e. "just grin and bear it so you spare someone else's feelings").

    It's much easier for me to know I had an authentic reaction to someone or something and to deal with the consequences of that, than it is to stay in my own head trying to figure it all out.

    -Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooops - typo - I didn't mean go on my "guy" feelings... I meant go on my "gut" feelings... :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ellie, Thank you. Falling silent- that's a good idea. It stops the trigger action response and allows us to think. When you do this do you ever get the "what's wrong?" "are you ok?". If so, what is your response? Thanks, Veronica.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Veronica -

    Interestingly, I don't get the "what's wrong" as much as I would think I would - usually I'm so animated and all up in the conversation no matter what, to me my silence feels really LOUD. When people don't notice, it is a relief.

    When they do notice, I try to have some one-liners I can use, to help me not jump right into it -- things like "Oh, I'm just tired." I try not to say "No, I'm fine," if I'm not feeling fine. If people really push the issue, then maybe that is the right time to talk about something. But, usually, I'm grateful I waited, talked to others about it, and stayed silent.

    "Doing nothing is doing a lot" a friend of mine in recovery says, and it's true. Even when I've been blatantly WRONGED, and I want my day in court to speak my mind - I'm almost ALWAYS glad I waited. If the next day, or later, I'm still bothered by something, I have had the time to get to the heart of what is really wrong. When I talk to someone about something that is bothering me, I try not to just complain, but simply explain how their actions made me feel, and ask them for their thoughts about it. If we have to have a fight about it, then maybe that was meant to happen. But usually it's just a talk.

    Hope this helps - honestly, this is a major work in process for me... I've only been able to put these things into practice a couple of times...

    -Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your friend's "saying". My opinion of me should be all that really counts.

    But for what it's worth, I totally still like you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Em Gee. I do this too! I can't stand social gatherings because EVERYone is talking about me, looking at me, thinking about me and I just want to hide behind my husband (and usually do). It's a hard habit to break, and I'm still working on it.

    I know I'm a nobody lurker, but I like you :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks, Ellie. It helps to get some direction when it's brand new territory. I am a bit fragile & slightly depressed at times and I don't know how to manage my moods without alcohol. Veronica.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I will always like you! :)

    I learned that my observations skills came about as a coping mechanism as an abused child...surveying my surroundings, taking the emotional temperature of the room so that I could feel safe. It's the same reason I always choose a chair in a room/restaurant that faces the room and the door. It's an old habit in case I need to escape perceived danger.
    I sometimes force myself to sit with my back to the room to help me reframe my fear and know that I am really safe these days and not that child anymore. But it's hard to do. Interesting, eh?

    When I find myself worrying about what other people are thinking of me then I take that as a red flag that I'm not happy with me on the inside.

    And yes, I use that mantra all the time that what other people think of me is none of my business. I remember the first time a friend told me that what really mattered was what I thought of me. "Really?" The idea floored me. I had such a long list of negative self talk statements I made about myself in my head every day that it was a lot of work (and Grace) to stop them. I either wanted to be a saint or a sinner. Being plain human being was too boring for me. :) Being human is my favourite option these days. Because then it means I'm just like everyone else, not set apart as either worse or better.

    Oh, Lordy, I'm in a chatty mood today. Be glad you aren't my hairdresser! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like it. I need to memorise that and repeat it to myself a thousand times a day! I'm dealing with postpartum depression and 100lbs of weight to lose and I want to blog about both openly but I'm stopping myself from doing it because I am so afraid of what people will think of me. I really shouldn't care. It's more a journey of self acceptance and discovery. I need to put things out there so I better understand them, and I'm certain that there are other people out there who would benefit from reading what I'm going through. So what other people think of me is none of my business. Working on it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your friend's "saying". My opinion of me should be all that really counts.

    But for what it's worth, I totally still like you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh Em Gee. I do this too! I can't stand social gatherings because EVERYone is talking about me, looking at me, thinking about me and I just want to hide behind my husband (and usually do). It's a hard habit to break, and I'm still working on it.

    I know I'm a nobody lurker, but I like you :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like it. I need to memorise that and repeat it to myself a thousand times a day! I'm dealing with postpartum depression and 100lbs of weight to lose and I want to blog about both openly but I'm stopping myself from doing it because I am so afraid of what people will think of me. I really shouldn't care. It's more a journey of self acceptance and discovery. I need to put things out there so I better understand them, and I'm certain that there are other people out there who would benefit from reading what I'm going through. So what other people think of me is none of my business. Working on it.

    ReplyDelete