Friday, November 19, 2010

They Aren't All Gems

I need to take a moment, pause, and breathe.

Writing helps me to slow down, right-size things that are looming large in my brain.   I have been feeling flat and uninspired these days when it comes to writing.    Life is sailing along at a hectic pace - each day is jam packed from start to finish with activities, play dates, appointments and the constant-ness of running a household.

It doesn't stop from the moment my toes hit the floor in the morning to the moment I fall into bed, exhausted, each night.  

It feels like there is never, ever enough time. 

Things that need to be a priority in my life start slipping; I manage to get everything done for everyone else, and put my needs last.   I don't feel resentful about this, not yet at least; it comes naturally to me to shuffle myself to the bottom of the deck.

I didn't go to a recovery meeting for two weeks; that is the longest I've gone since I got sober.    I skipped my Jenny Craig appointment for three weeks.    I'm not meditating, or taking any time to sit and reflect.   What scares me most is that I don't mind.    I love being too busy.   It makes me feel important, needed, but that's just me deriving my sense of self-worth from external forces.  I'm losing touch on how to find it from within.

Last night I had to force myself to go to a recovery meeting; that has never happened before.   But I feel so GOOD, I was thinking.   Everything is FINE.    I went because I felt guilty that I hadn't been in so long; people were starting to call and ask if everything was okay.    I went because I'm fearful of not going, of what could happen down the road. 

I don't like being motivated by guilt and fear, but sometimes it's all I've got.

At the meeting I slumped into my chair, wanting to fade into the background, listen for an hour and go home.   My list of things to-do last night was huge: homework, baths, jewelry orders, emails and phone calls to return.    I didn't want to be there.

So, of course, I was asked to chair the meeting.    I really didn't want to, but I couldn't say no, because I didn't have a viable excuse.  

Chairing a meeting isn't a big deal, but it forced me to open my mouth, speak my truth.   I admitted out loud that I hadn't been going to meetings, that I was feeling just fine, thank you.    Heads nodded all around the room, especially the people who have been going for a while.   They've been there before, too.

And, of course, I heard exactly what I needed to hear.   As people shared, told their own truths, spoke about their struggles and triumphs, I felt a peace come over me.    I've missed this, I thought.    I need this. 

Today I'm feeling overwhelmed.   I just need to get it out, speak my truth, right-size my troubles.   I have a lot on my plate, and not enough time to get it all done.   I spent half an hour this morning just pinging around my house; Finn is at school until noon, then Greta is picked up early for a doctor's appointment, then a play date later in the day.   Panicked, I started and stopped three different things - all of them important - and then froze in place.

Three hours of time alone is laughable, really.   I need about three days.  

I picked up my laptop and sat down to write this.   I can't always bring it,  but that doesn't matter.   I just need to write.   As I've heard many other bloggers say:  they aren't all gems

Wise words from a friend in recovery just surfaced.   He talks about what he does when he's overwhelmed, when the sheer volume of things that need to get done freeze him in place, make him want to curl up in a ball.    "I can only do one thing at a time," he says.   "So I do one thing, and let the rest of it go.   Then I do the next one thing."   

So, I'm doing this one thing.  I'm writing myself back into the moment.   Then I'll do the next thing.   It's all I can do.

24 comments:

  1. See, and I'm so grateful you wrote this because I needed to read it.

    I DO get resentful ESPECIALLY when I stop exercising and meditating and when I don't have enough time for me.

    And despite the different ways we handle this stress, I know one thing--we both need to keep doing these things to stay healthy. Whether we feel like it or not.

    Because they maintain the balance that helps creating "gems" feel less important then simply creating.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I swear I'm not stalking you. LOL

    I needed to be reminded this morning that I can only do so much. I am only one person. Thanks for this post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear you. One moment at a time, right? The me moments included.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such wise wise words. We could all use this. Especially around this time of year.
    One thing at a time my friend...

    ReplyDelete
  5. At the same exact place right now! Thanks for reminding me and putting it into words for the rest of us!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Boy, did I ever need to read this right now...thanks! Am doing deep breathing even as I write - one thing at a time right? I can do that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. "I don't like being motivated by guilt and fear" ~ do I ever hear you there. And yes, sometimes it is all we have. Look, I didn't miss attending meetings for two weeks; I missed for a number of years. My relapse (last week) resulted in some critical damage, not to mention the wreckage scattered everywhere prior to the big screw-up. I believe guilt has a way of tugging at our conscience, and if that serves as the catalyst to shove our butt out the door in order to hear "exactly" what we needed (which has always been my experience in the rooms) , then I say, guilt?? BRING IT !! My message ~ we can't afford complacency ~ the ground we're left on is far too unstable. Falling, stumbling, tripping ~ it's a given. So happy for you that you got back in there before it was too late. Thanks for your message! ~d

    ReplyDelete
  8. See? If you do nothing else that you feel is useful today, you will have helped all of us. This is the trap into which I fall: "It makes me feel important, needed, but that's just me deriving my sense of self-worth from external forces." Add to this that if I sit down and read my daughter a story I somehow feel like I've had my rest for the day, that driving by myself to pick up the carpool should somehow satisfy my need for "alone time," and that nothing I am doing really is that important -- no one's saving lives over here -- and I'm left feeling as I do when I eat a whole bag of potato chips: I just ate ALL THAT, why am I still hungry and somehow feeling worse? Thanks, El.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That voice that tells me I am fine and don't need a meeting is my addict being cunning. It just never shuts up is the problem! Argh.

    Someone I listen to in meetings often says his sponsor taught him to pray, do the next right thing, pray, do the next right thing, all day long. I am often looking for the complicated way to get through my day instead of this simple one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. well, I hate to break this to you...but here in your space they ARE all gems...because they come from you, in whatever form.

    So. I've been forced to slow down (in order not to puke) and what a relief it is. Not that I want you to puke. I guess I just think that being forced to streamline, to be still, to cut back and prune and all of that...well, it's helping me see what I need and what I don't need to be doing.

    Just thought I'd throw that out there, just in case there's a small chance there's some pruning that can be done? Not that I have a clue...

    Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Once again. Powerful words!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's the fire thing :) Putting out the first fire, then the next, doing what's in front. Love that reminder.
    (psssttt.... this was a gem... :))

    ReplyDelete
  13. For the record--Your speaking your truth here on the little things and the big things makes me feel braver about speaking mine on the little and big. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I SO needed this right now. Well said, as always. Thank you.
    *smiles*
    debbi

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was in your shoes 15 years ago - just swamped with 3 kids and everything else and then I read a book called: Sidetracked Home Executives - it saved my life, got me calm and organized and I started really getting things done. It's kind of old fashioned because it was written in the 70"s but the "bones" of their organization system are good and the book is humorous. You can find an old one on Amazon. Best Wishes !

    ReplyDelete
  16. I want to be so busy that I can't stop to think. I've been lazy. You inspire me. Do you know HOW MUCH I love reading you? You're a gem!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I loved this post. Your words are the truth for just about everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  18. hoo-boy, you just described me to a T. That is exactly how I've been for weeks now. Way, way too much to do and too little time. I haven't been taking care of me, or going to meetings, but when I do pause for a moment it feels good. hang in there, the holiday season is just a few more weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  19. hoo-boy, you just described me to a T. That is exactly how I've been for weeks now. Way, way too much to do and too little time. I haven't been taking care of me, or going to meetings, but when I do pause for a moment it feels good. hang in there, the holiday season is just a few more weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I want to be so busy that I can't stop to think. I've been lazy. You inspire me. Do you know HOW MUCH I love reading you? You're a gem!

    ReplyDelete
  21. That voice that tells me I am fine and don't need a meeting is my addict being cunning. It just never shuts up is the problem! Argh.

    Someone I listen to in meetings often says his sponsor taught him to pray, do the next right thing, pray, do the next right thing, all day long. I am often looking for the complicated way to get through my day instead of this simple one.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Boy, did I ever need to read this right now...thanks! Am doing deep breathing even as I write - one thing at a time right? I can do that!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Such wise wise words. We could all use this. Especially around this time of year.
    One thing at a time my friend...

    ReplyDelete
  24. I swear I'm not stalking you. LOL

    I needed to be reminded this morning that I can only do so much. I am only one person. Thanks for this post.

    ReplyDelete