Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Mothers and Drinking - What Do YOU Think?

Note from Ellie:   A good friend sent me this article, and I wanted to share it here.   It's an interview done by ParentDish with Working Mother's editor-in-chief, Suzann Riss, about an article they did on mothers, alcohol and prescription drug abuse.     Go here to read the series at Working Mother's website "Everybody Knows Somebody" (what is below is just an interview about the article, not the article itself, which is really interesting).   The quiz referenced in the interview is here.   

I'd love to hear what you think about this, too.   Please comment with your thoughts and observations.  Do you think that moms are turning more to alcohol and/or prescription drugs?   Do you believe the increased talk amongst moms about drinking, needing a drink, etc. is harmless fun or a sign of something deeper?   Do you agree or disagree that moms face unique hurdles when they struggle with drinking, due to the pressures moms face?   I'd love to hear more from all of you.

Here's the interview:

Is it "wine-o'clock" yet?" is a cry heard among many moms after a rough day with the kids, the boss and, in many cases, both.

But a new study says a startling number of working mothers are shifting from imbibing in an occasional glass of cabernet to downing drinks and popping borrowed Xanax to take the pressures off work and family life -- and they are hiding these addictions.

This drinking in the dark phenomenon is on the rise, according to a series of reports from Working Mother magazine, which found that 5.3 million women in the United States drink in a way that threatens their safety and that the number of women ages 30 to 40 who abuse alcohol has doubled over the past decade. What's more, one in four children has an addictive parent, according to the research.

"What was most startling is that these are women who appear to be in total control, they hold good jobs, their kids are doing well in school and they're not hanging out in bars at 2 a.m.," Suzann Riss, Working Mother's editor-in-chief tells ParentDish. "But they are dying inside and are in serious trouble. Their kids depend on them and addictions are progressive."

The survey also showed that 40 percent of the respondents drink to cope with stress and 57 percent of working moms reported they have misused prescription drugs. And both of these figures look set to rise, Riss says.

"Our biggest shock was that these women are successful at hiding their addictions," she tells ParentDish. "One woman we profiled hid hers for 20 years. But they have these secret lives where they are addicts. It's a subject no one talks about and most of them thought they were all alone."

The problem is more widespread than we think, Riss says. The magazine's series, "Everybody Knows Somebody," says fueling this rising health threat is the recession and the fact that more moms are the family breadwinners now than ever before.

"Another ripple effect of the bad economy is that working moms and wives have unprecedented stress on them," Riss, mom to 5-year-old Jack, says. "They don't know how to handle that stress. We're not saying that a glass of wine a night means you're in trouble, but we are talking about women who are dependent on alcohol or drugs and cannot make it through the day without them."

The impetus for the Working Mother series was the Diane Schuler story, Riss tells ParentDish. Schuler was the 36-year-old Long Island mother who, in July of 2009, drove down the highway the wrong way after 10 drinks and smoking marijuana. The accident took her life and the lives of her 2-year-old daughter and three nieces who were riding in her van, as well as three men who were in the SUV she hit. Her 5-year-old son was the sole survivor.

"When that story broke, we started to hear more and more rumblings about this as a real problem for working moms," Riss says. "We wanted to look more into these secret addictions and the secret lives of women who work right next to most of us in the workplace."

At the same time, a growing number of working moms who collectively experience "one of those days," have found a way to vent with a light-hearted, tongue-in-cheek Facebook group called "OMG I so need a glass of wine or I'm gonna sell my kids."

With 110,000 members strong, working mom of two and founder Christine Trice of Sacramento, Calif., says the group was born out of "one of those mommy moments," and is meant to be a place where stressed-out moms can feel they are not alone and find solace in the fact "that we can laugh at ourselves and joke that we're having a bad day and need a glass of wine," Trice tells ParentDish.

"It's kind of a sisterhood of moms who can laugh at themselves and admit for a moment that it isn't easy to be a mom or a working mom," says Trice, who runs two businesses, Brown Bag Botanicals and The Belly Beautiful.

Trice tells ParentDish the group is "not meant to promote drinking, but to be the safe place where moms can admit it is stressful."

"My father was an alcoholic and I know all about the severed relationships and damage that can be done in a family from drinking," she says. "But I also know what happens when you stuff down that stress and feel like you are all alone and are a bad mom because you had a challenging day. That's why we're here to help moms know it's OK to say 'I'm having a horrible day.' "

So, what are the warning signs for when a glass of wine to take the edge off stress has turned into a full-on addiction? Women who drink eight or more drinks a week or four or more drinks a night are at a risk for addiction, Riss says. Working Mother has created a quiz to help working moms assess their drinking habits, or give clues to suspicions about co-workers and friend's you are concerned about.

"The bottom line, though, is that if you are worried that you have a problem, you probably do," Riss says.

The problem is compounded because women are more likely to hide addictions than men, Heidi Jacobsen, a licensed mental health counselor who works with prescription drug-addicted women at WestCare, an outpatient substance abuse treatment center in St. Petersburg, Fla., tells Working Mother.

"They're also less likely to seek treatment than men because they worry about the people who depend on them," she tells the magazine. "They can't lose their job, their home and their children."

The secrecy shrouding this growing health risk was one of the biggest challenges in creating the series of reports, Riss tells ParentDish.

"When we started doing this story, we could not get women to give their real names and we didn't want to do it that way," she says. "We are proud that we found courageous women to come out and start talking about this. Our hope is that women who are suffering silently will know they are not alone and that there is hope for recovery. They can get help and they can get better."

14 comments:

  1. You know, I have given this subject a lot of thought. I don't have an addiction problem (unless you count coffee, and then I'm screwed), but I have joked often about "needing" a gin & tonic (my preferred drink). Only recently did I find out that when I say something along those lines it really bothers my husband-- who has people close to him who have abused alcohol. What I first considered to be a bit of harmless humor now carries a much darker connotation. Combine that with some of the recent articles on media messages along those lines effecting acceptance (i.e. "needing a drink after dealing with the kids/work/spouse is normal"), and I realized that I need to change the way I talk about the stress.
    I think the solution could be really easy-- instead of saying 'need', can we say 'want'? Or, maybe I can say that I want to lock myself in the bathroom for ten minutes so that they can't follow me...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's definately a bigger probelm. I am a single mom and on the good days when I can go the gym at lunch and I got dinner made before we left I don't need wine. But the bad days when I am yelling for him to hurry which makes him stop and work was horrible, I do have couple of a glasses of wine. I look at my friends who can have their husband or parents etc take the kids when they have a bad day and I get jealous. And I have a good job and only one child so I could see where if you have no chance to take a moment for your self that it could become a problem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is it a bigger problem or are we getting braver to come out and talk about it and admit there's a problem?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also agree with Robin - I think the problem has always been around, especially with alcohol. However, I think there's been a definite increase in prescription drug abuse among women. Now we don't just joke about needing a drink, we joke about needing a valium, xanax, or whatever else too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also think there's an increase in the pressure mom's feel to "do it all" - career, raise amazingly stellar kids, be thin, avoid wrinkles, read contemporary literature, volunteer, have a well thought out political point of view, lively sex life... it never ends. And we constantly compare ourselves to those "other mothers" we secretly believe are doing everything. The pressure is immense, it's easy to see how problems develop.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Three words about this from me: sleep deprivation and hormones. Period. Oh, and let me just say that those who love me WANT me to drink b/c apparently I am so neurotic. They think this is a supportive way to say, "take a load off...stop worrying...relax." I have very little desire to have more than one glass of wine because I instantly get a headache but Ambien...now that is a different story.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know I emailed you, Ellie, but I thought I'd put it out here, too. I think that in recent years, just the title of the book, "The Three-Martini Playdate" has impacted how moms talk and joke about using substances to cope with pressure and stress. Regardless of the authors' intentions, I think this has given a sort of permission to moms to be more liberal with joking, which can give way to a more liberal mindset on what's OK when it comes to using a variety of substances to cope with the stresses and pressures of motherhood. While the intentions may have been nothing more than humor, I think it might have set something bigger into motion.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Melissa said what I was thinking, at least in part. I think women have started to put so much pressure on themselves to do it all and do it all well and without help. Reading the article, I noticed the first woman had to "make sure her husband helped their 10-year-old son with homework" (quoted from the article) and immediately thought why did she have to do that? It indicates a feeling that her husband couldn't or wouldn't do it, and I know she is not the only woman to feel that way.

    I also agree that society is much more open about addiction and so maybe we hear a lot more about it, when it was more hidden in the past.

    I am not dealing with addiction, so I feel in some ways unqualified to even speak to this, but I think we all have our ways to unwind or decompress from a hard day. Unfortunately, for some people, that can lead to a real problem. Should women stop joking about needing a drink? No, but we should all be honest about what we are doing and when it has crossed the line. And it doesn't have to be drugs or alcohol. Some of us check out by getting on the computer or getting lost in a book or whatever. Let's talk about how hard it is to be parent/spouse/employee etc. and share healthier ways to cope with it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Do I think there's a rising problem? No, not necessarily. As a previous commenter stated, I think the problem has always been there, especially among mothers. I think we're just more open with the joking now which makes us more open with disclosure about our habits.

    However, I think that there's a fine line between joking and not-joking about this. For example, we have a new teacher in our department this year. Earlier in the school year, I said something about needing a glass of sauv blanc and she said "You sure do talk about wine a lot!" That caused me to check myself. Do I drink as often as I talk about drinking? In my case, no. I don't. But that's caused me to consider who I can say things like that in front of and who I can't. So now, I'm more selective in the people I joke with in that regard.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Robin's point is so excellent.

    In semi-related news, my dad JUST recently told me that my mom (who I thought never drank alcohol) would be three Greyhounds in when he returned home from work (or from two-week sales trips). There were four of us kids in close age proximity. I can (sadly) understand.

    In addition...As you probably know, I've had issues with drinking and making jokes about it and using alcohol to cope.

    When my daughters were 2 and 4, I really started amping my drinking up and my "jokes" about the increased drinking started about then, too.

    I used my "jokes" to broadcast that I was stressed and couldn't handle it. My medium of relief from the stress was/is alcohol.

    I can tell you that I see soooooooo very many mothers in my neighborhood who use alcohol like I do: to escape.

    It's clearly an issue.

    And I for one...don't know how to deal with it any other way.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I also agree with Robin - I think the problem has always been around, especially with alcohol. However, I think there's been a definite increase in prescription drug abuse among women. Now we don't just joke about needing a drink, we joke about needing a valium, xanax, or whatever else too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You know, I have given this subject a lot of thought. I don't have an addiction problem (unless you count coffee, and then I'm screwed), but I have joked often about "needing" a gin & tonic (my preferred drink). Only recently did I find out that when I say something along those lines it really bothers my husband-- who has people close to him who have abused alcohol. What I first considered to be a bit of harmless humor now carries a much darker connotation. Combine that with some of the recent articles on media messages along those lines effecting acceptance (i.e. "needing a drink after dealing with the kids/work/spouse is normal"), and I realized that I need to change the way I talk about the stress.
    I think the solution could be really easy-- instead of saying 'need', can we say 'want'? Or, maybe I can say that I want to lock myself in the bathroom for ten minutes so that they can't follow me...

    ReplyDelete