Thursday, November 11, 2010

Behind The Glass

The house is still, quiet.  I should be sleeping.  

In a moment I'll head up to bed, but I treasure this time alone.   I lie on my couch in the semi-dark, and I breathe, sifting through moments from the day and savoring them like sweet treasures.

Tonight, though, my mind is tugged to you ..  the woman quietly crying, wondering how she ended another day with a glass in her hand, a nearly empty bottle calling to her from the kitchen.

You promised yourself tonight would be different.   You woke up feeling strong, determined, your softly pounding head thumping a beat to your misery.  Not tonight, you swore to yourself.    No more. 

Then four o'clock comes around, and the kids are edgy, restless.   You can't bear to fetch one more snack, answer one more unanswerable question.   You are bored, exhausted and empty.    There is homework to be done, dinner to prepare, endless nighttime rituals to perform.    The thought of giving the kids a bath without the soothing effects of wine seems preposterous, cruel.

Just one, you say.   Just something to dull the edges.   You want to find that loving place, the one full of warmth and light.  

You don't drink the glass all the way down before you fill it up, just a little.   Then a little more.   Then one with dinner.   When your husband steps out of the room for a bit, you drink one down quickly.   Just one.

That soft warmth turns prickly; the kids won't go to sleep, your husband makes a remark that settles on you wrong.   Just another sip or two, to push back the edginess, only enough to get back to the soft place.

You notice the bottle is almost gone.   You've done it again.

Tomorrow, you are telling yourself.   Tomorrow will be different.   

I'm thinking about you tonight, because the tomorrows will keep coming.   And coming.   In their wake they will leave the shattered remains of broken promises to yourself.  Everyone's needs are met but yours; you are left empty-handed, helpless and scared.

You have a secret.  You are looking at the world through glass.   I know, because I've lived there, too.   You press your nose up against its cool, tear streaked surface and you wonder:   what is wrong with me?  

You are dancing on that thin line between keeping it all together and falling apart.    The world doesn't know, but you do.   

You know.

You have built a house of cards around the not-knowing, but you do know.   You do.

I don't drink and drive, I only drink at night, I only drink wine,  I'm not the one falling down drunk at a party, not like so-and-so.  I need to drink to be creative.  To socialize.  To be a more patient mother.   

You look at your life the way the world sees you, instead of looking from the inside out.   Through their eyes, you look fine.  If you look good through their eyes, you must be okay, right?   The world can't see the glass, so as long as you keep moving you can pretend it's not there.

You have created the perfect movie set - props artfully arranged to present the perfect picture.   

And you?  You are in the audience, at a safe distance, watching your life play out on the screen.

I'm thinking of you tonight, as I listen to the creaks and groans of my old house, and hear my dog's contended sigh as she settles down for the night.   The clock ticks softly; the refrigerator hums.    I am here, just listening.   Just being.  

I am sitting quietly in my cozy home, listening to the echos of the day.  This sounds so small, so insignificant.    But it's not small to me.  There is no glass, you see.    The glass is gone. 

How do you make it stop?  How do you make the endless tomorrows stop coming?  That is what you want to know.

You make the endless tomorrows stop coming by being in today.   It's the only today you've got.

You can opt out, disappear behind the glass, or you can feel it.   All of it. 

Listen to those things you tell yourself; examine each card in that house you've built.    Turn it over, really look at it, and ask yourself: is this about living my life, or about hiding from it?

After you've been living behind the glass it's frightening to be on stage with the starring role in your own life.  The glare of the spotlight, the endless eyes watching you, expectantly; it is all overwhelming.   It will make you want to hide.   You will feel raw, vulnerable, exposed, uncomfortable.   

But only for a while.    With time you stop seeing the spotlight, stop wondering what the eyes are thinking.  You will feel comfortable, just being.    It will happen.

In order to be free of the glass, though, you have to admit it's there, and that it is slowly suffocating you.

That's a good place to start.

  

20 comments:

  1. Thanks for thinking of me. I was just having some of those exact same thoughts - this morning, didn't I think not tonight? And then beer got in my glass. What makes it difficult (one of the things, anyway) is that my days ARE good. I don't want my days to be bad, but sometimes I wonder if it would make a difference at night if they were.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is exactly what it was like. I don't relate to the motherhood aspect, but I sure as heck recognize all the rest. Not having to live like that any more is the greatest gift ever.
    For any of you still living it - there is a better life out there. I wish it for us all.

    Beautiful, Ellie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So well written. Thanks for sharing your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent post Ellie! Echoing my thoughts 21 months ago so well ... Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is exactly how I felt too. You captured so many of the nuances of the feelings and justifications and regrets.

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Ellie...
    SO good.
    SO true.
    SO powerful.
    SO getting posted on Facebook... :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, this was extremely profound...I"ve never seen it written so accurately. You are a complete treasure to so many. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Today I drank again. I've been trying sobriety. Haven't been able to make it stick. Your post resonates with me. Thank you for reminding me about why I drink and why I want to be sober.

    ReplyDelete
  9. And you? You are in the audience, at a safe distance, watching your life play out on the screen.

    This is what I remind myself when I take yet another twitter break, check my stats again, write one more email..."Just one sec. Hon. I'll be right there. Just one more thing." And the toast is burned.

    ReplyDelete
  10. "How do you make it stop? How do you make the endless tomorrows stop coming? That is what you want to know."

    Yes. That is what I want to know.

    I'm glad I have you to write these things and to understand.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I read your blog, I relate to things you say..But what you wrote here literally took my breath away..I don't know if this is a positive or a negative (Am I an addict, etc) but I know I can't get your words out of my head..Thank you for vocalizing what I could only feel..

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, this was extremely profound...I"ve never seen it written so accurately. You are a complete treasure to so many. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is exactly how I felt too. You captured so many of the nuances of the feelings and justifications and regrets.

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So well written. Thanks for sharing your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for thinking of me. I was just having some of those exact same thoughts - this morning, didn't I think not tonight? And then beer got in my glass. What makes it difficult (one of the things, anyway) is that my days ARE good. I don't want my days to be bad, but sometimes I wonder if it would make a difference at night if they were.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for this Ellie. Your description fits me and I am struggling to change. Its gotten to the point that I feel crappy for two whole days after drinking too much. Anxiety mostly, but also the dull headachey tiredness. You are an amazing writer and communicator. Please keep writing, I will stay tuned.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi everyone,
    I'm so excited my husband is back after he have left me for another woman.
    My husband and I have been married for about 7 yrs now. We were happily married with two kids, a boy and a girl. 3 months ago, I started to notice some strange behavior from him and a few weeks later I found out that my husband is seeing someone. He started coming home late from work, he hardly care about me or the kids anymore, Sometimes he goes out and doesn't even come back home for about 2-3 days. I did all I could to rectify this problem but all to no avail. I became very worried and needed help. As I was browsing through the internet one day, I came across a website that suggested that Dr Unity can help solve marital problems, restore broken relationships and so on. So, I felt I should give him a try. I contacted him and and told him my problems and he told me what to do and i did it and he did a spell for me. 24 hours later, my husband came to me and apologized for the wrongs he did and promise never to do it again. Ever since then, everything has returned back to normal. I and my family are living together happily again.. All thanks to Dr Unity.If you have any problem contact him and i guarantee you that he will help you. He will not disappoint you. Email him at: Unityspelltemple@gmail.com or call him on: +2348072370762..I am Donna Murray by name and I reside here in United States..Contact Dr.Unity for help via email: Unityspelltemple@gmail.com .

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm from america. I was going crazy when my husband left me and my two kids for another woman 2 weeks ago after 17 years of marriage. We had a lovely marriage but he started a relationship with a co worker who chased after him. He is living away near his work and her and refuses to talk to me or to come home . I am devastated and am finding it hard to cope . I wish I did not love him and that I could move on but I can't. I don't know how to stop feeling like this I wish I didn't as its eating me away and I m starting to feel ill. I have degraded myself begging him to come home all to no avail. I became very worried and needed help. As I was browsing through the internet one day, I came across a website that suggested that Dr Unity can help solve marital problems, restore broken relationships and so on. So, I felt I should give him a try. I contacted him and he did a spell for me. tow days later, my husband came to me and apologized for the wrongs he did and promise never to do it again. Ever since then, everything has returned back to normal. I and my family are living together happily again.. All thanks to Dr Unity . If you need a spell caster that can cast a spell that truly works, I suggest you contact him. He will not disappoint you. if you have any problem contact him, I give you 100% guarantee that he will help you,Email him at: Unityspelltemple@gmail.com ,you can also call or Add him on Whats-app: +2348071622464..Thanks..

    ReplyDelete
  19. Getting ex boyfriend back after a breakup,
    I’m extremely happy that will are living together again.
    Am Maria 21yr from England, my boyfriend of a 4yr just broke up with me and am 30 weeks pregnant.I have cried my self to sleep most of the nights and don’t seem to concentrate during lectures sometimes I stay awake almost all night thinking about him and start to cry all over again.Because of this I end up not having energy for my next day’s classes ,my attendance has dropped and am always in uni and on time.Generally he is a very nice guy ,he ended it because he said we were arguing a lot and not getting along.He is right we’ve been arguing during the pregnancy a lot .After the break up I kept ringing him and telling him I will change.I am in love with this guy and he is the best guy I have ever been with.I’m still hurt and in disbelief when he said he didn’t have any romantic feelings towards me anymore that hurt me faster than a lethal syringe.He texts me now and then mainly to check up on how am doing with the pregnancy,he is supportive with it but it’s not fair on me, him texting me as I just want to grieve the pain and not have any stress due to the pregnancy.i was really upset and i needed help, so i searched for help online and I came across a website that suggested that Dr Unity can help solve marital problems, restore broken relationships and so on. So, I felt I should give him a try. I contacted him and he told me what to do and i did it then he did a spell for me. 28 hours later, my bf came to me and apologized for the wrongs he did and promise never to do it again. Ever since then, everything has returned back to normal. I and my bf are living together happily again.. All thanks to Dr Unity. If you have any problem contact Dr.Unity now and i guarantee you that he will help you.Email him at: Unityspelltemple@gmail.com ,you can also call him or add him on whats-app: +2348071622464.

    ReplyDelete

  20. Hello, i am Jessica Wayne from TX, USA. Life without my husband was a real mess for me and my children I am so happy to get my Ex back through the help of Dr Noble the spell caster . My greatest surprise was that 48 hours after the Doctor prepared the spell for me, my husband who has abandoned me for 4 years suddenly called me unexpectedly and am so happy that we have come to become one again through the help of Dr Noble and am so happy to be with my husband once again. Dr Noble is a very wonderful spell caster, you can contact him if you need his assistant because i know he can also help you. contact him through his email: templeofjoyandprosperity@gmail.com or call him on +2349039520524 immediately

    ReplyDelete