Sunday, August 29, 2010

Existential Quicksand

I've been feeling a low rumble lately, some shiftless, slippery dark form rippling just beneath the surface of my consciousness.

I'm pretty good at ignoring it, in part because we are so busy.    These last two weeks of summer, when we didn't have anything specific planned, have still been stuffed to the gills with activity.    Playdates, swimming at the local Y, visiting family and friends, going to a fair, birthday parties - every day is jam packed from start to finish. 

The days blur by - each day mashing into the next one.   I rarely even know what day of the week it is anymore.  

Each day starts the exact same way.  I get a poke in the ribs at 6am, two sets of eyes peering at me expectantly.  "What are we going to do today, Momma?   Huh?  Momma?  You awake?   We're hungry."

As soon as my feet hit the floor, the kids are in motion.   I feel like a sleepy sun with two jittery planets orbiting my every move.  

Can I have Rice Krispies no wait I want waffles but not too much butter Finn hit me Sissy won't talk to me Momma where are my waffles I can't find my special lizard wanna play soccer I don't like this juice can I have milk there is too much butter on my waffles can we have a playdate Momma Momma Momma look at me I can jump on one foot NO I'M TALKING TO MOMMA NOW Momma is today the pool can we have a friend over will you play a game with me I'm hungry Momma Momma Mommaaaaaaaa.

I am not exaggerating when I say this level of chatter and activity doesn't stop until they close their eyes at night.  

Even when we're doing something - playing a game, say - they are vying for attention, asking what is next, peppering me with questions.     

If I stop moving, to check the computer  or - gasp - try to read the newspaper they are instantly on me.  I mean ON me.   Sitting on my lap, draped around my legs, sticky warm arms and legs pressed into mine.  

I try to carve out precious little chunks of time - a half an hour here or there to get jewelry orders done, return emails, have a phone conversation, do some housework.    Finn's record for leaving me alone is eight minutes.  Eight whole minutes before he pads in the room and slips silently into my lap, leans against my legs or simply follows me around like a pint sized shadow.   Greta can last the whole half an hour.   Barely.

That slippery, shadowy thing that has been lurking around in my periphery, sliding around in my subconscious mind, is an oil slick of frustration, and it is mucking up my clear waters of serenity and gratitude.  

By three o'clock every day I feel like I have gnats buzzing about my head - hungry, demanding little blood suckers that I can't swat away, because, well, those gnats love me and it's summer and it's been a great summer and I really don't have anything to complain about because we've had such fun and school is about to start and so I should enjoy the moments we have together and so I'll just grit my teeth and find the beauty in the moment and -

Well, you get the idea.   I'm trying to talk myself out of this existential quicksand, this sensation of constant stuck I feel. 

The truth?   I feel disappeared.   

I'm the snack getter and skinned knee kisser and sibling referee and chauffeur and playdate arranger and house picker-upper and chief cook and bottle washer.   And I'm sick to death of it.

I ache for some time to myself.   I have all these lofty ideas for my business and for my writing and it's just not worth diving into them.   Not now.    I have learned that trying to do those things and be present for the kids simply doesn't work.   They are still young enough that they need me to be the center of their orbit.    On the good days I am grateful for this - oh, so grateful.    On the not-so-good days it makes me want to run down the street screaming:  what about MEEEEE?????

Part of this can be blamed on the weather.   There is a little bite to the air in the evenings, now; the first of Autumn's caresses have arrived.   I am academically programmed, and every single fall I feel a tidal wave of energy, of ideas.   September 1st is like my New Year's Day; the slow, hazy days of summer are over and I want to be in motion.    MY motion, not the endless pinging around that is managing two young kids' schedules.

I'm trying to bring it back into the moment.   I know, in my heart, that these days are irreplaceable, that my kids' need to be close to me, that their undiluted love for me, is to be treasured.   I know it won't last forever, and that some day - sooner than I think - I will ache for these times. 

But the oil slick is there, I can't deny it.   All I can do is speak my truth, try to reduce its sludgy hold over me one word at a time.

15 comments:

  1. Oh my, can I relate. I feel completely disappeared right now, my entire life revolves around taking care of other people. And just yesterday my husband asked, 'Do you still love me?' 'You don't give me any attention'. Can you imagine how much I wanted to throttle him?! I get not even a moment for myself and here he is, daring to ask me to give more of myself away. I get where it's coming from, I don't have enough time for anybody, but still the question grates.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well. I have no idea what you're talking about.

    pffft.

    I know, Ellie. And it feels good to just say it like it is. We're like rubber bands, we mothers. And we're totally stretched out and it's exhausting especially when our creativity minds are whizzing. It feels like all ideas and chances are whizzing by right along with our thoughts. I think we'll capture them, one day...but it's so hard to let things go in the now.

    ugh. I have no answers. Just validation :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen!
    I am academically programmed as well, and this is the time of year that I feel at the top --which is good for work, since this is the busiest time of the year for me, but not so good at home. Even though my children are older, the lunches and open houses and math worksheets and looseleaf notebook paper and I need this, and I want that and can we go here weighs on me in a way that was unimaginable to me before children.
    And all I want to do is clean the garage and organize closets and write blog posts, because it does feel like a new year, and I have all of this amazing energy channeling through me, right at this moment.
    Whew!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Me too! My kids are 5 and 8, so it's not the same as it was when they were little, but it is exhausting. And I want to be for them now..but I'm also so excited about the autumn and filled with ideas. I want to "spring" clean. I want to do everything.

    Again, no advice, but man, can I relate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ellie, I've been feeling this heaviness, this quicksand lately, too. But until I read your post I didn't really realize it or understand it. But this makes so much sense. I haven't had any time to create lately or just be.And I been feeling it heavy on my soul. This was confirmed for me today when found myself taking on Gabe's craft instead of just helping him. I found myself intensely thriving on creating a page along side him with the 3-D stickers {they even have interchangeble color pieces with them -- so fun!}.
    I hope when school starts you get some time to create and some time to be. Thank you for these insights.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know, it doesn't have to be this way.

    Part of our job as parents is to teach our kids about boundaries. And sometimes the best way to do that is by setting boundaries for ourselves.

    My kid is also super-clingy, and does all of those same things. But just like you need to set aside time for meetings, you need to set aside "mama time" at home.

    For us, it started with little things, like "No, you can't sit on my lap when I'm eating. You will have to wait until I'm done." And then making them ask. And then extending it to no sitting on my lap when I'm reading the paper, etc.

    If you want your kids to respect your space/time/boundaries, you have to respect them yourself.

    And you know what? You're worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tzipporah - good advice all the way around. And, despite how it sounds, we have lots of boundaries around "mamma time" here. I find that now it works best if those times are smaller increments - a half hour or so - so we don't end up mutually frustrated.

    My angst at the moment is rooted in more bigger picture things - a desire to move ahead with work, writing - bigger projects that are better suited for a life with two kids in school full time (Greta is, but Finn has another year until half-day Kindergarten).

    I think it's easier for me to come to terms with the fact that those days WILL come, down the road, but trying to do all that now makes me feel like I'm giving 50% on all fronts. So it is more existential than day-to-day logistical.

    Having said that, I know the type of shadow-y behavior I get (especially from Finn) gets worse when I've let the boundaries sag - because I'm tired physically, and because I get lazy with follow-through. So it's a good reminder that all those little boundaries add up to a happier bigger picture all the way around. Thank you.

    -Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just need to say this again... YES!!!! It's craziness.
    Isn't it bizarre how Labor Day always symbolizes fresh starts of sorts?
    Bring it on, Fall. Bring it on.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What about half-day daycare in the meantime so you can work?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sometimes you write what I've been feeling, this is one of those days! My struggle is with depression, and almost every day it is lurking somewhere in the background. Lately it's been a big threatening dark force, but I refuse to let it have me. I have the right to be happy, even if it means taking an hour to myself once in awhile. The demands on your person can be so great, everybody wants a piece! Sometimes I just have to walk away for a few minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved this post! I can relate, every day feels like one giant tornado. It starts at 5:00 a.m. and stops, well...right about now! Thankfully I have the blessed relief of two children who go to bed early. But I can also relate to that feeling of anticipation that comes with September. I'm feeling it too! I plan to write about it soon. It just takes over, it's so intense for me that my heart literally does little flip flops as soon as I feel it in the air.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My husband just took the kids for almost 4 whole days (with his parents). I don't say that to gloat, only because I wish EVERY MOTHER could have that once a year.

    I got so much accomplished, because I could concentrate and focus UNINTERRUPTED.

    And their homecoming was beyond sweet, and now I am once again surrounded by flies ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks so much for putting my own frustrations into words. This weekend I was so short with my daughter she said several times, "Mom, you are missing your patience." Oh so right! Where-or-where did my patience go??

    Here's hoping we all find more balance in life as the Autumn progresses.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks so much for putting my own frustrations into words. This weekend I was so short with my daughter she said several times, "Mom, you are missing your patience." Oh so right! Where-or-where did my patience go??

    Here's hoping we all find more balance in life as the Autumn progresses.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I loved this post! I can relate, every day feels like one giant tornado. It starts at 5:00 a.m. and stops, well...right about now! Thankfully I have the blessed relief of two children who go to bed early. But I can also relate to that feeling of anticipation that comes with September. I'm feeling it too! I plan to write about it soon. It just takes over, it's so intense for me that my heart literally does little flip flops as soon as I feel it in the air.

    ReplyDelete