Saturday, August 21, 2010

Big Girl Pants

My feelings got hurt.

The details of why aren't important, and I'm not trying to be frustratingly vague, but really and truly they aren't important.

I was talking to a trusted friend and without warning the conversation took a turn. Suddenly what had felt like a soothing float over cool calm water turned dangerous - pitching and rocking around in the salty sea.

Conflict of any kind has always made me anxious.   It doesn't even have to involve me; I can overhear a whispered argument between a couple at a restaurant and my stomach turns icy with fear.   My husband can get angry at his computer because the printer won't work, and I'll be wincing in the next room like a puppy about to be scolded.    I can't even watch political debates without needing to pop a few Tums
.
It's exhausting, absorbing the world's negativity and filtering it back and through me.   A big part of my recovery is learning - as cliched as it sounds - that not everything has to do with me.   Slowly, I'm learning not to jump to conclusions about people's moods.   If my husband comes home tired and irritable, for example, it doesn't automatically mean that he's upset with me.    With practice, I'm better able to separate myself from everyone else's mood, to stop thinking everything is somehow my responsibility.

But when anger and disappointment are aimed squarely at me, I never know what to do.   My first instinct is to run - find some means of escape - because I feel fear that borders on panic.  It's a physical fear: my heart rate spikes, my palms sweat and my face and neck blush bright red.   The old fight-or-flight instinct kicks in, and I go immediately to flight.  

When I was drinking, I would presume that everything was all my fault.   I felt so broken, so insecure, that I didn't have the ability to view myself objectively, to stand up for myself.    I agreed with everyone else's opinion of me, because I didn't have my own opinion of me.

So when this conversation turned a sharp corner, morphed from an idle chat to an exchange of hard truths, of barbs, I froze.    The old me, the cowering me, wanted to pick up my purse and run away.   But I didn't.   As difficult words flowed from this person's mouth, I simply sat still and listened.  

I have never been quick to anger.   As an active alcoholic, I always felt that anger was an emotion I wasn't entitled to, because of all the hurt I caused.   I was in a constant state of flux between alcohol-fueled righteous indignation and contrite next-mornings.   

As a sober woman, I can't duck and run from feelings anymore.   I can't stuff them down to some inaccessible place and wait until evening to numb them away.  

As I listened to my friend, who was upset with me, a little hurt, a little disappointed, I pushed down the urge to run, and instead I thought to myself:   this is someone you trust with all your heart, someone who wouldn't hurt you for sport.   Listen to what is being said.   Listen and absorb

So I squared my shoulders, put my Big Girl pants on, and listened.    And it hurt.  It hurt to hear the words, it hurt to see this person hurting, too.   I felt stung.   I felt sad.    But I didn't agree with everything that was said.  I didn't automatically jump to that apology place - my usual default just to get the conflict over with.   Apologies from me meant nothing for so long, because instead of apologizing for some wrongdoing on my part, what I was basically saying was:  I'm sorry for being me

What I thought this time was:  What is my part in this?   What could I have done differently?   If these words are stinging, they are laced with thorns of truth.   So find the truth.  

And I did.  I owned up to my part, and apologized for the things I did to contribute to the problem.   I talked about the ways I felt wronged, too.   We talked about a plan as to how to avoid this conflict in the future.

But I didn't feel shame.    I think I'm finally figuring out the difference between being wrong, and being bad.  

We parted with a hug, and a resolve to keep talking about things, to keep looking ahead towards a solution.    

The icy grip of anxiety was melted by the glow that comes when people care about you enough to tell you their truth instead of slowly drifting away, and the warmth of loving yourself enough to listen and absorb without losing yourself to fear.

19 comments:

  1. Yay Ellie! :) Proud of you girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. good for you for working through it. constantly saying "i'm sorry" is something i'm still working on not doing... it's a very sore point between my husband and i; my constant need to apologize when we have an argument. you are definitely an inspiration in more ways than one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW. That is amazing! It's hard to do, just to listen to all that criticism. I am still working on it too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A very well written and frank account of troubling emotions. I really do commend you for being an inspiration to others.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on wearing your big girl pants. So hard to do, but vital to our growth. Such a well written post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful post. I too, am an "apologizer", and that is a tough habit to break, especially when others begin to expect you to take the blame.

    Bravo and well done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is so brave of you. I'm the same way, I avoid conflict at what is sometimes at great personal cost. Good on you for clinging on during the anxiety and holding on to your friendship.

    ReplyDelete
  8. (I thought I was the only one who winced at the husband fighting with the computer... so good to know... :))

    (and before I get to the actual comment, (and I find this hysterical and frustrating at the same time) I'm still in that place where I think "OH NO! Did I do something to Ellie!?!?" Oh this lovely thing we deal with and work through...)

    You did something that it takes so many so long to do. And it sounds like you did it really well. Am so proud of you. Yay for big girl pants!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow, reading those first few paragraphs was like reading about myself (and I really DID think I was the only one who freaked out when my husband got mad at the TV or something!) Uncanny!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Two things: First, amazing growth! I always just want the conflict to be over with, and I see now that this is really just so that I can feel better. It takes courage and discipline to resist the urge to flight and instead take the time necessary to truly work through the problem. Reading how you did it, I think I could too, so thank you for sharing this with all of us.

    Second, how do we stop absorbing negativity around us? Another one of us blogged about this recently, about feeling like a "sponge," and I related, but I couldn't offer any suggestions because I don't know how to stop doing this. I can know my husband's irritation or anger isn't toward me yet still I feel the negative emotions and take them into myself. I have no idea how to not do that! What do you do?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Not Telling - First off, thanks for all your supportive comments - I really appreciate it.

    Secondly, to your question about how not to absorb the negativity? I don't know how NOT to do it, yet. Maybe I never will. I'm starting to think it's just the way I'm hard-wired. In NYC I really struggled, especially the first day or two, because I'd see a homeless person, or see two people arguing, and I'd have this really base fear reaction.. it's automatic. In my day-to-day life what I'm trying to do is cultivate that abiltiy to observe my reaction. I still can't stop the response, but soon after the response I'm trying to stop and say to myself "I know what this is - I'm absorbing too much again." I don't want to be owned by this fear, and the only way I have been able to figure out how to disentangle myself from it is is to identify, observe it and talk about it.

    Somehow, in the process of observing it, its hold on me in reduced. I can take some time - give myself a pause (sometimes it's minutes, sometimes it's days) before reacting, so that when I'm reacting to something at least I know what I'm reacting TO.

    I don't even know if that makes sense - it's very hard to explain..

    -Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mmmm, how I understand so much of what you say here. I have similar issues with confrontation, but sadly I haven't found the strength to confront them all yet. That you tried, that you made yourself vulnerable, that is a huge leap of faith and a beautiful one at that. Way to go. There are so many important lessons in what you wrote in this post, I'm glad to have read them and to take away a few wise words to think over and consider.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Talking through things is good, but hard. I'm also trying to grow this way. I'm new to your blog, but love the honesty here.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I had an experience like this with a friend May of last year. And I remember at the time, while hurt (devastated, really), after a lot of contemplation, the conscious choice not to get defensive, but to really think about what I had done... a couple of great conversations later, not only were we okay, not only was *I* okay, but I was able to grow immensely from the experience. Being able to see that wrong doesn't mean bad - for sure, Ellie. It was one of the worst moments but it turned into one of my most mature reactions. Truly, good for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, man. I'm still close enough to the bad days to get the ripples from that, nearly every day, so I can only aspire to where you are. But I do. Aspire to that. I'll remember that phrase: "someone who wouldn't hurt you for sport." That's a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow. I have the same heart stopping response to conflict. The physicality of the fear is so intense that I will take any measure to avoid it.

    It's something I'm trying to work on now that I'm sober. Drunk, it was so easy to just ignore the rippling of discontent, to think: "oh, who cares. What do they know?" Or, if unavoidable, drink to erase those feeelings of helplessness and vulnerability.

    Now that I'm sober, I am really working to sit with those feelings when conflict arises. To see myself as separate from other people's feelings. To actively think about how I feel when someone's anger or frustration is directed at me. I want to be able to work through and resolve these issues, but for the moment, this is where I'm at.

    Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. good for you for working through it. constantly saying "i'm sorry" is something i'm still working on not doing... it's a very sore point between my husband and i; my constant need to apologize when we have an argument. you are definitely an inspiration in more ways than one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh wow, reading those first few paragraphs was like reading about myself (and I really DID think I was the only one who freaked out when my husband got mad at the TV or something!) Uncanny!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow. I have the same heart stopping response to conflict. The physicality of the fear is so intense that I will take any measure to avoid it.

    It's something I'm trying to work on now that I'm sober. Drunk, it was so easy to just ignore the rippling of discontent, to think: "oh, who cares. What do they know?" Or, if unavoidable, drink to erase those feeelings of helplessness and vulnerability.

    Now that I'm sober, I am really working to sit with those feelings when conflict arises. To see myself as separate from other people's feelings. To actively think about how I feel when someone's anger or frustration is directed at me. I want to be able to work through and resolve these issues, but for the moment, this is where I'm at.

    Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete