Monday, August 9, 2010

The Company You Keep

This is not the post I set out to write.

I'm home from NYC - a whirlwind trip full of new experiences, capped off by attending BlogHer, an annual conference of bloggers, most of them women.   I went there knowing about five out of approximately 3,000 attendees.  

I spent the past four days carefully crafting a post about my impressions of the conference.   Ordinarily I write and publish a post in a few hours.  This time, though, I sat down each night to review and edit, honing my observations and opinions down to a fine point.

I re-read it again last night, and it hit me:   I got it wrong.   

There was a lot about the conference that overwhelmed me.   I knew there would be networking, pressing of flesh and small talk.   What I didn't expect was the cut-throat social hierarchy, the emphasis on who do you know instead of what do you write about.     The blogosphere contains its own version of abbreviated celebrity, popular bloggers with huge followings who moved through the conference like royalty.   

It is darkly alluring, this form of celebrity.    The gravitational pull around the popular bloggers was impossible to ignore.     It all made me feel very small.  

Arriving at the conference I didn't care about how many Twitter followers I had or how many people read my blog.    I naively thought that most bloggers write to build a community, to be change agents for something they are passionate about.     By the end of the first day, though, as I stood on the periphery and observed, it seemed like one giant popularity contest.     I morphed into the tall, awkward 13 year old girl who was fearful of being picked last for the kickball team.   

It occurred to me, then, that writers write to be read.   Many bloggers, it appeared, write to be seen.

It was enough to make a girl want to fold up shop.   I felt so tiny, so insignificant.   I introduced myself to people and watched the realization dawn in their eyes that they don't know me, I'm not influential, I can't do anything to further their popularity.   They would politely hand me their blogging card and move on.

It made me angry.

So I spent four days writing and re-writing a post that highlighted the worst of it all - the dark underbelly of blogging.    It was a good post, if I do say so myself.   A poignant essay about the worst of the worst.   I was drawn to negativity like a moth to a flame, letting my anger and resentment towards these people consume me.

It's not even close to the real story, though.

I realized last night that I'm leaving BlogHer not chock full of resentment and anger, but full of validation and love.    The connections I made with the people I knew going in took root and blossomed.   I made new connections with people whose talent astounds me, whose grounded approach to blogging inspires me.   I leave there with a renewed sense of purpose, of hope.

Away from all the craziness, all the networking, I realize I know why I'm here.    I don't want to be the bright spotlight in the center of it all.     I want to be a warm campfire, a quiet place for people to find each other, share joys and struggles, swap stories.   A place of comfort, laughter and peace.

I believe people create their own light, their own warmth.    It comes from within, not from the admiration of thousands.   
 
Insecurity and negativity were tethered to me, like an overflowing bag of garbage.    I was hauling the heavy bag around resentfully, unable to let it go.     Last night, thinking through everything, I mentally dropped the tether, turned my back and walked away.    

There will be more to come on the trip:  the 5k for Tutus for Tanner, the hysterical laughter, the power of being in the middle of the crazy with my sober sisters, how we propped each other up, cheered each other on, what it felt like to be at this conference sober.

How meeting my friends in person felt like coming home.

For now, though, I'm turning these memories over and over in my head, savoring each and every one of them.    I'm grateful - so, so grateful - to have met these amazing, strong, inspiring women.    And to call them friends.


Tutus for Tanner 5k in Central Park

5k Tutus for Tanner with Heather

Maggie and Heather

With Corinne at Rockefeller Center

Heather, Corinne and Me

31 comments:

  1. I love the campfire analogy-- It is how I feel as well, and I think there are a lot of bloggers who are the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read your blogs daily, they are like a form of meditation. I go into each with my heart and mind open. I leave each 'session' slightly more aware, awake, and grateful for my life. You inspire me with your candor, strength and humor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I for one am so glad you decided to keep blogging and turn it into something positive.

    I too write a blog that doesn't get a lot of hits. I hope that changes someday, but mostly I do it because I think it is good for me.

    If I don't write, something is missing from my day, a restlessness in my soul that can't be satisfied by anything else.

    I'm glad you were able to come out of BlogHer on a positive note.

    Keep writing. I come here everyday. I don't have a problem with alcohol, my addictions have to do with food, but I often come here to get my head on straight.

    Thank you for what you give us and I hope that you get something in return.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen to all of this. I'm in the middle of my "coming home" post. It was so strange there, but what it came down to was thousands of people coming together because they've got their own thing going on the internet.

    Big, small, sponsored, or not we all log in and toss some words up and hope they land well.

    It was great to meet you, and I look forward to seeing you again someday. Until then, I'll be right here subscribed to your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You put so very well how I felt into words :) Thank you for that! I'm still processing... it was so good, but there were those moments of feeling so small and insignificant.
    Loved this. Love you. Miss you terribly!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wasn't at the conference, and I base my opinion of you all on what I have read, and I think you are huge. What you say and put in writing changes lives and comforts the reader and makes us all feel connected when we might not have otherwise. So, to me you are larger than any conference. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Ellie,
    a Thanks for the post. It is making me think...and that is a dangerous thing. Sometimes I really wonder why I write. I have a whole 10 followers and feel a little foolish every time I post. Anyway, I am starting on a new writing adventure--a project to complete a Master's degree and the end result is hopefully a published article. But truly I am worried more about an anonymous audience than the voice I want to be heard. Do I write to please and influence? (as you say, "to be seen") Or do I write to soothe and calm this inner chaos that struggles to find a voice? When I put my options down on paper--it appears to be a no brainer... I need to write for me and well if a few others get something out if it that is great, if not then...it is still great. Well thanks for listening.
    Annette
    p.s. I'll come sit by your campfire anyday
    p.p.s. Please come to Minnesota to visit Heather so I can meet you too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your honesty.
    I started writing my blog to see if I could write. As if I had to prove something to myself. I had no idea about readers and all that stuff.
    Sometimes I get it whacked all out of perspective. Like working through feeling like I will be forgotten because I'm on a blogging break right now. That whole feeling invisible, being forgotten has roots in my 2 year old self during Christmas one year. So I guess blogging gives me lots of opportunities to know myself better.
    I'm afraid I would have been one of your groupies if I had been at Blogher. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can totally relate to your Blogher experience. I attended last year's conference and I didn't know a soul going in. I felt very much the twelve year old geek in me come out and also the brush off as I was not one of the popular girls/bloggers. My experience wasn't all bad, but not as positive as yours it seems. It did make me realize that I write for me and that took all the pressure off. I love that people read and relate, but if no one did - I would still write.

    And I love sitting by your campfire, just so you know.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your process was so similar to mine. I had moments of anger and immaturity, and then on the airplane home I just started laughing to myself. Many people were being ridiculous, but so was I in my reaction.

    (now, for those of us who understand the bigger picture of it, can we politely request an email copy of the irritated essay. 'cause I know I would love it.)

    ps - you're one of my favorite things to come out of the week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the campfire. I can so relate. I got blown off by a couple of bloggers that I'd known online for a short while, and was really looking forward to hanging out with. But whatevs. There were so many other people there to try to connect with that it wasn't worth getting upset about the few. The best connections I made by far were in that room with me at 3:30 on Friday and those were the ones that matter.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Maybe we should start our own conference! OK, that might be a bit junior high, but it would still be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It sounds a bit like Cybermummy, only on a much larger scale. There was a lot of competitiveness and ruthless networking there too, aswell as a lot of really overdressed people!

    Glad you had a great time anyway though, and huge congrats on your run. I feel envious looking at your photos - I would have loved to have met all you sober bloggers - plus I've never been to America and would love to see New York.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nicely done. It's so much easier to come back to center with a little distance. Inside it I dropped my grace a time or two. Thanks for being part of my compass. xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Eeek! I've always wanted to go to the conference, and maybe I still will one day, but hmmm.... you gave me a lot to think about.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am so glad I met you at the conference, because look at this beautiful post! What a great writer you are! I saw some of the superficial stuff at the conference, but I really think those people were in the minority, thankfully. Most women were eager to meet others and connect. I enjoyed meeting you, and I hope you found that H&M near the hotel....

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sing it sister! Isn't it funny how the school year insecurities come back in a heartbeat in those situations. I agree with all your blogging reasons, what pressure those folks put themselves under to worry about readership and numbers.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love this post. LOVE IT! I've always wondered how I would feel if I went there with all of the Bloggesses that I read on line and feel "close to". I'm pretty sure that would disappear immediately in that sea of people and I would become 13 again too.

    I'm proud of you for taking on this trip - I'm not sure my sobriety would have survived. SO PROUD OF YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. found your blog today from someone else's blog (sorry doing so much hopping I lost track) the blog her posts are a little intimidating to me as I signed up for next year...the tutus for tanner gang looks fabulous though, every where I see the post it looks like a wonderful bunch of women!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love reading everyone's comments, thank you. I love my campfire circle! :)

    I hesitated even writing about the darker stuff, but decided that I had to - kind of to get it out of me. But really and truly what I'm leaving BlogHer with is a profound sense of connection to amazing women - some that I knew, some I didnt'.

    For anyone reading this who has contemplated going to BlogHer but hasn't - it's an amazing experience - overwhelming, for sure - but not so overwhelming that it wasn't worth it.

    My recommendation? Bring a friend, or plan to meet up with friends. Stick together - it's much more fun and goes a long way towards stamping out the feelings of being excluded.

    Most of the blogging world isn't consumed with being uber-famous, and I worry my post sends this message. It is chock full of gems - amazing writers, amazing people, and I'm so grateful to have met them.

    -Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  21. I find it incredibly sad that everything becomes a popularity contest. I admit, I'd like more followers, but I'm just barely starting out and trying to figure out I am as a blogger (yet alone as a person). What I love about your blog is that you are so genuine and I can relate to so much of what you say. I love your positivity!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ellie, it was such a joy to meet you and take in your kind eyes and radiating smile. Oh to be a campfire, radiating light and starting a singalong...I'll bring the popcorn.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  23. We never did get to do our hosting together and yet we did get to meet, and I'm so glad we did. I'm taking that as it was meant to be! You were a warm friend, and I felt drawn to you. Thank you for being kind and for your smile. I needed a few, because I was so overwhelmed.

    "I want to be a warm campfire, a quiet place for people to find each other, share joys and struggles, swap stories." This is why I blog! This is where it's at. Well said.

    ReplyDelete
  24. As you clarified up there, I know most of it ends up being positive (and still so envious you got to hug Maggie!) and the connections and love that goes around can be amazing. But I do know what you're talking about with the other part. I've been a food blogger for a long time and the food blogging world, which has at times led to TV appearances and interviews and book deals and more... well, people care quite a bit about their hits and their status sometimes. There was a food blog conference thingy in SF last year and another friend of mine went and was just horrified by some of that. It's partly why I quit food blogging the way I had been doing it, erased everything, and came back with the blog in a very different way. I would much rather have a small circle of people around my campfire talking about food, or sobriety, or anything else, than be known to hundreds or thousands and be put in the middle of that sort of BS. Anyway. :) Glad you went and you got to meet some wonderful women. And you got to do it sober. :D You look adorable in that last photo!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Yes. What you said. I miss you. I love how you think and I'm so beyond grateful for our friendship. You are lovely.

    word verification is: giltarea (pffft)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi, Came here from Ann's Rants. This is a perfect post, because I think anyone's human nature would'e been to come home and spill the nasty dirt on people's ugly side.

    But, you didn't. And there you have the positive of everything you were able to see, b/c you didn't block your view with the black stuff.

    I loved this. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  27. You are definitely a warm campfire, a glowing warmth that gives comfort and hope and rest. For one thing, you have here photos of four people who are connected in a very real and powerful way, and so we as readers smile at those photos instead of feeling jealous that we weren't there to mix and mingle with the popular bloggers! (What a difference from so many other post-BlogHer recaps on other blogs!)

    (I'll email you soon, it's just a busy week in our family.)

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love this post--I've felt like that sometimes with blogging. Love the honesty here. I'll definitely be back!

    ReplyDelete
  29. We never did get to do our hosting together and yet we did get to meet, and I'm so glad we did. I'm taking that as it was meant to be! You were a warm friend, and I felt drawn to you. Thank you for being kind and for your smile. I needed a few, because I was so overwhelmed.

    "I want to be a warm campfire, a quiet place for people to find each other, share joys and struggles, swap stories." This is why I blog! This is where it's at. Well said.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I find it incredibly sad that everything becomes a popularity contest. I admit, I'd like more followers, but I'm just barely starting out and trying to figure out I am as a blogger (yet alone as a person). What I love about your blog is that you are so genuine and I can relate to so much of what you say. I love your positivity!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Ellie, it was such a joy to meet you and take in your kind eyes and radiating smile. Oh to be a campfire, radiating light and starting a singalong...I'll bring the popcorn.

    xo

    ReplyDelete