Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Celebrity Hero Worship

When I was in New York for the BlogHer conference, I was invited to participate in a roundtable discussion about celebrity hero worship with three other bloggers:  Laura from The Hollywood Housewife, Jessica from The Mom Creative and Susan from GetGood.com.

The Roundtable was hosted by the beautiful and gracious Dr. Janet Taylor, and filmed to be put on Liberty Mutual's Responbility Project's website.  I love the way it turned out, (but, seriously?  Do I really sound like that?) and it was a pleasure to be in the company of such engaging, creative and intelligent women.

So, take a look if you'd like - and I'd love to hear from all of you on your thoughts about celebrity worship.  Is it something you think about?    How does it impact the way you parent?   Do you worry about how our children are inundated with celebrity culture through television, movies and social media?   What do YOU do about it?  

The Responsibility Project

6 comments:

  1. That was really interesting! It turned out so well, and you did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was really interesting. I wonder, sometimes, do we get caught up in celebrity stuff because we are waiting for them to crash and burn? Or because we are wondering what they DO with all the money they get because, let's face it, they get a lot of their money because the general public buys into them.... I don't really pay attention unless they happen to be on the news or plastered on mags at the check out line. I honestly feel sorry for them sometimes. Like they have no grounding or values that will carry them through hard times. And the media shoves them in our faces - 'reality' shows (which are NOT realistic, actually) makes it hard.
    I think the best way to teach your kids values is to point out the values that WOULD have helped the 'celebrity' AVOID the problems they are currently in. And to help them realize that they are just people too.
    I loved how you, Elle, pointed out to your daughter about airbrushing and how things are not always as they seem.....
    Great job and wonderfully presented!
    Teach your kids responsibility, moral values, personal responsibility....they will be wonderful adults!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVED IT! Thanks for sharing... =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved it tooo. thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved it tooo. thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete