Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Where It Takes Me

June 6, 2007

The sun wakes me up. It is a sparkling day, a Saturday, and the trees are in full blossom, the sky a brilliant blue.

I close my eyes.  Everything hurts.   My head is pounding, my throat scratchy and dry.    Every muscle aches; I can't lift my head off the pillow.   The night before is a blank, everything after 6pm is simply gone.   A vague memory of my husband's disgusted face surfaces, and I push it down.     Oh crap, I think, another day.  

The kids are playing outside; their laughter floats through my open window, taunting me.    I slowly turn my head to look at the clock.   It is already 10am, and I know my husband is pissed.

Carefully, I sit up, and a wave of nausea strikes.   I sit, trembling, on the side of the bed until it passes.  

I can't do this anymore, I think for the millionth time.  But, of course, I will.  I made it until 4pm yesterday, and had a drink to celebrate.   The rest is a blank.   My stomach flips as I think of yet another promise to myself smashed to pieces.   

Halfway down the stairs I sit with my head in my hands and wait out another wave of nausea.   A drink would make me feel better, but my hidden bottle of wine is in the downstairs bathroom.   It seems a million miles away.

"I'm taking the kids somewhere," my husband says.   I look up and he is at the base of the stairs.   He won't even look at me.    I can feel his anger from here, like a red force field pressing against me.    I don't respond; I put my head back in my hands and wait for them to leave.

I haven't eaten in three days, but I'm not hungry.    I'm never hungry anymore.   Just thirsty.   Just a bottomless thirst that holds me in its grasp.    The door slams shut, and I shuffle my bloated body to the bathroom.   I take one drink, and wait.   It stays down.    I take another drink, and the edges of my hangover soften, my muscles relax.  

Carrying the bottle of wine, I walk to the closest place to rest - an overstuffed armchair.   I curl up in the chair, cradling the bottle in my lap like a child.   

I doze in the chair off and on all day.   Every time I wake up, I take a sip from the bottle and pray for oblivion.   When my husband comes home five hours later I am still there. 

I don't know it, of course, but I'm three months from the end.   Ahead of me are two hospital stays and three stints in rehab.   On that Saturday, though, I simply sit, full of shame and fear, and wish for it to stop.     I can't imagine a life without drinking, and so I pray that I will fall asleep and not wake up.

That's where drinking took me.

June 6, 2010

The sun wakes me up. It is a sparkling day, a Saturday, and the trees are in full blossom, the sky a brilliant blue.

I feel a tap on my shoulder.   "Momma?  You awake?"   I slowly turn my head and see two sets of eyes looking at me expectantly.    "What are we going to do today, Momma?"  they ask.

My husband is already up, I can hear him tinkering away outside on his boat.   I pull the kids into bed with me, and we cuddle for a few minutes.    We make a plan to go to the playground, the bead store and then food shopping. 

I cook breakfast for everyone - frozen waffles with extra syrup for the kids, fresh fruit and yogurt for the grown-ups.    After breakfast the kids go outside to play, and Steve and I sip coffee and chat.   

I tell him about a dream I had last night, that I turned the front room of our house into a jewelry store.    We talk about the future, how great it would be if making jewelry could be my real job when Finn goes to Kindergarten next year.   

The kids and I leave for the playground, blasting Kidz Bop in the car and singing out loud.    We go to the bead store, stop for lunch and ice cream, and top the day off with a trip to the grocery store.   The kids love the grocery store.  

We walk in the door, tired and happy, four hours later.  Steve is standing in the doorway, grinning like a man with a secret.   

"I have a surprise for you," he says.

He leads me to the front room of our house, what used to be a dining room but has been a make-shift jewelry studio for me for the past two years.   With a flourish, he opens the door.

My heart catches in my throat as I peer into the room.   "Welcome to the world headquarters of Shining Stones," he says.


He made  me a store.    He completely gutted every cabinet, created jewelry displays where we once kept our formal china.   He moved my beading table to a sunny spot in front of the window, and brought in the overstuffed chair as a place for people to sit and chat.   


Greta and Finn spin about the room, squealing gleefully at the jewelry displayed on every surface.   

He believes in me, I think.     

"Oh, thank you," I say, as we hug.   "Thank you thank you thank you."

I steal a glance at the overstuffed armchair, and my mind pings back to that day three years ago.   I shut my eyes and send up a prayer of gratitude.   

This is where recovery takes me.


31 comments:

  1. I wish I lived closer, I would be your first customer.

    Michelle @mjbutah

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH, El!!! It looks great. Oh, just awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Ellie, that room looks beautiful. Your husband sounds a real partner and friend. These are the good things that come with sobriety. You deserve them. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. that is gorgeous!! seriously, he's a keeper, that steve :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful post-- a beautifully kind husband-- a beautifully inspiring store!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. Amazing post, amazing story.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are an inspiration! Not only through your accomplishment of recovery but in the way that you write about it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How wonderful to be loved so much.

    ReplyDelete
  9. you made me cry at work, how dare you!!! So beautifully touching. The transformation, you have come so far and deserve such greatness. And your jewelry is gorgeous to boot. I am so happy to hear not only did your husband stick around, he supports you and boosts you up. So lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful story! I love your blog, and even though I am not an addict I just find it so inspiring. Your words are a gift to so many.
    - Val

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for sharing that. You have no idea how much it means to read your words and think maybe, just maybe there's a better life for me if only I would stop.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lynne, you can do it. I will be praying for you. There is a better life on the other side. I have faith you will find the strength to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ya know.. I just recently started following your blog. And as I sit here...I can't help but to have tears run down my cheeks.
    You are so brave to share your life with us. To share your words and experiences brings hope and inspiration to other mothers suffering from the same thing.
    I hope your kids wake you up tomorrow morning too. =)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful. Your life, Your family, Your store, Your heart.
    You deserve all this and more Ellie.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I found this post so powerful and so moving. I'm so happy for you, and your whole family. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am sitting here at work balling my eyes out for both days.
    All the best of luck with your store becomming your "real" job when Finn goes to kindergarten.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Mistakes in my last post, apologies.

    What a beautiful story of support and encouragement from your husband. It is not only a story of recovery, but of how forgiveness can strengthen a marriage.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think you make me cry more often than any other blogger.
    There is something pretty special when our partner gets who we are and what makes us tick.

    ReplyDelete
  20. It looks beautiful! What a great space, and what a perfect June 6. You deserve both.

    Your posts always make me feel that it is possible, that change and growth are possible and within reach. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Good on you.

    (And good on him...)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am in tears, lady. What a sweet incredible gesture.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you so much. I really appreciate all the support. Steve does, too. :) He was just reading the comments and grinning from ear to ear.

    And Lynne - hang in there. Keep exploring, be as honest with yourself as you can. There is a better life on the other side of drinking. Keep on talking.

    -Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your blog ... keeps me sober some days. Not just clean but sober. I did the follow up after a guy picked up his FIRST white chip tonight. Gave him a list of men's numbers. Gave him a hug. Talked about the day that list of numbers, women numbers, kept me clean when a few years in to recovery the compulsion returned, in spite of active recovery. I believed in him. Because years ago the folks in AA believed in me even when I didn't think I could do it. They said they would believe for me. You are so blessed to have this family. Some of us are not. The folks like that guy tonight become our family. And we too are blessed. I <3 your blog. And check in compulsively some days for the next post. Thanks for making time to share your story, past and today.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love it! The post is so powerful! And congrats on the new store!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I have a tear in my eye, Ellie.

    "He believes in me". Powerful stuff for any inhaibtant of the planet.

    All the more powerful that Steve SHOWED you and didn't just say "yeah, I think we should turn that room into a store".

    He's a keeper.

    ps your kids like grocery shopping?? Not fair.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I wasn't PLANNING on crying this morning...just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thank you so much. I really appreciate all the support. Steve does, too. :) He was just reading the comments and grinning from ear to ear.

    And Lynne - hang in there. Keep exploring, be as honest with yourself as you can. There is a better life on the other side of drinking. Keep on talking.

    -Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a beautiful story! I love your blog, and even though I am not an addict I just find it so inspiring. Your words are a gift to so many.
    - Val

    ReplyDelete
  30. You are an inspiration! Not only through your accomplishment of recovery but in the way that you write about it.

    ReplyDelete
  31. that is gorgeous!! seriously, he's a keeper, that steve :)

    ReplyDelete