Friday, June 11, 2010

Matter Over Mind

Today I put on a pair of cut-off jean shorts I haven't worn since 1999.    

I don't know why I even kept them - most of my pre-baby clothes were given to charity, in a huff, a few years ago.    I remember what I was thinking as I stuffed business suits, jeans, shorts and fitted shirts into garbage bags:   those days are over.   It didn't particularly bother me.   I'm a Mom now, I thought, as though being a Mom and wearing those clothes were mutually exclusive, bring on the stretchy Capris. 

But for some reason I hung on to those shorts.    A couple of years ago I woke up having a skinny day.   You know those days?    I pulled those shorts out of the drawer, feeling optimistic.   I couldn't get them over my hips.   Oh well, I thought, reaching for my sweatpants.    It didn't crush me, or make me feel horribly.   I told myself, again, that my days of being fit, of looking and feeling good, were over.   I was okay with that.

What I realize now is that I was used to thinking that what I looked like, how I felt physically, didn't matter.   Even with all the work I had done getting sober, lifting myself up emotionally and spiritually, the urge to stuff some of my needs to the bottom of the pile remained.    It was too scary to give a shit, because when I really looked at myself I hated what I saw.    So I didn't look. 

I told myself:   I'm happy with me just the way I am.    And that was true, until it wasn't.

One morning, nine weeks ago, I woke up and glared at my sweatpants balled up on the floor.  For whatever reason, that morning I cared.   I had flash of insight, of courage.   Before I could stop myself or tell myself it didn't matter, I marched up to my husband and said, "I want to lose weight."   As the words left my lips, I knew they were true.    I didn't want to lose weight to please my husband, or to look like a supermodel, or to feel superior to anyone else.    I wanted to lose weight to stop feeling inferior to myself

Today, I passed the halfway mark: I am more than halfway to reaching my goal weight.   But I bristle at the notion of 'halfway', because I feel an internal shift, an awakening of sorts, like I did (eventually) when I got sober.    I resist looking at it as 'halfway' to anywhere, because I don't want to cross any finish line.   I can hit my goal weight, and that will be cause for celebration, but I'm new to embracing the idea that my physical well-being - how I feel AND how I look - is important to me.     

So I'm forcing myself to stop, throw myself a little parade, and try on those cut-off jean shorts.   I'm kind of faking it until I make it, because the idea that how I look matters to me is so new, so foreign and so scary.    That fear kept me from losing weight for a long time.   I would tell myself:   I don't want to get all hung up on my physical appearance, because I don't want my self-esteem to be tied up in how I look.    But if my thoughts had subtitles, they would say:   I'm scared to care about myself. 

It's okay to feel good, I have to keep reminding myself.   It's okay to be proud of yourself.    

It's okay to matter.


16 comments:

  1. What a good outlook! I think we can all take from this...a positive energy and healthy life is what matters, and caring about ourselves will get us there. You look gorgeous, and I LOVE the jewelry room. It gives me so much joy seeing you in there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so cute!!! :) Go you! You're doing an awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go!! Hmmm, they even look a little loose.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, hey, congratulations! Isn't that tough -- that 'I want to look good because I matter' vs. 'I don't want to my self-esteem to be wrapped up in appearances' dilemma. But you're dodging it, and doing it beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you need to get those taken in! Well said, all of it. It's a tough balance for me, not wanted to care too much about looks, but also wanting to care for me and be healthy. And look good in jeans.

    Congrats on your success!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had to comment to say that my 2 year old girlie just wandered past the screen when the picture of you was up, and said "she look pretty". Congratulations on all of your hard work..
    I think maybe all of us can use the lessons taht recovery teaches...I sure could use more discipline and the ability to "stick with it" more consistently!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're adorable! You look great...those shorts are loose btw! Good for you for caring about yourself in that way - unfortunately I can relate to not caring. Part of wanting to disappear - which is never a good thing.
    Loved your post about world headquarters of Shining Stones. The love that shows in your husbands efforts to put that space together for you is amazing. I know you are grateful. It gives me hope.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, Ellie, you look so skeeeeny! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Heyyyyyy...... that's greaaaaaaattttttt! We are really pleased for you! Keep up the good work. You are inspiring.


    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good job. I've learned in program that it's important for my to be right-sized in all things, in my head, heart, and my body.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay Ellie! You look good girl! I recently lost almost 20 pounds and I know how you feel. High five to getting your groove back :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ellie - you look AWESOME! I am a big believer in its how you feel on the inside and the outside will reflect that. I have to say though...those look a little loose....you may have to get a smaller pair! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, Ellie, you look so skeeeeny! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ellie - you look AWESOME! I am a big believer in its how you feel on the inside and the outside will reflect that. I have to say though...those look a little loose....you may have to get a smaller pair! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, hey, congratulations! Isn't that tough -- that 'I want to look good because I matter' vs. 'I don't want to my self-esteem to be wrapped up in appearances' dilemma. But you're dodging it, and doing it beautifully.

    ReplyDelete