Thursday, June 24, 2010

Life Raft

Her face is white as a sheet, her brown eyes big and round with fear.   "Am I going to be okay, Momma?"

Greta is sick, her fever spiked scary-high, and she just threw up.    Her body feels like it is on fire.   

I brush her hair back from her face and give her a peaceful smile.  "Yes, honey, you're going to be fine.   Try to get some sleep."

Inside I'm boiling over with anxiety, and I try not to let her see.    I'm fairly sure it's a flu virus - it feels a lot like the swine flu we had back in the fall.   I almost wish it had some media-hyped name to it, so at least I'd know what I'm dealing with.  

I tiptoe out of her room and quietly shut the door.   I can't call the doctor's office yet, they don't open for another hour.   

It's so strong, mother-love.    Each and every time my children are sick, I want to beg the heavens to make them better, give it to me if it has to go somewhere, just please spare them.   

I find a quiet room and I get down on my knees.   I don't beg the heavens for anything except the strength to carry on minute-by-minute.   I don't ask for a miracle, because that doesn't seem fair.     I pray that I can keep my head in the game, stay calm in front of her, ease her anxiety.    I think of the parents out there with chronically sick children, who live in this fear each and every day.    I send prayers their way, too.

It calms me, for a moment.    I sneak a glance into Greta's room;  she is sound asleep, her breathing raspy and her lips are bright red.    I put my hand on her back and hum a song to her.    The world suddenly feels big and scary to me, like we're floating madly adrift on the vast ocean with only a tiny raft between us and disaster.     I push the fear down, and tuck the blanket around Greta.  

Twenty more minutes until I can call the doctor.   I'll just take it as it comes, like I always do, because I don't have another option even though I like to think I do.    When things are sailing along uneventfully the illusion of control is easier to maintain.   When tough times come, like a sick kid, I'm reminded that I'm on that tiny life raft all the time, I just don't notice until I feel fear.

For some reason this thought comforts me.  

It's a day like any other, and events will unfold the way they are meant to unfold.

I'll try to do the next right thing, take it one minute at a time, and we will be okay, because we'll be where we are supposed to be.

10 comments:

  1. Poor Greta. Fevers are the one thing that scares me. I can deal with blood and vomit, but not fevers. Hope she feels better soon! Deep breathing helps too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ellie,
    I love the new look of your blog header!

    Poor Greta. I feel you, I hate when Kira gets really sick with those high fevers, too. Thinking of you guys today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fevers and throwing up are about the worst. Add the natural anxiety and you've got one loooooong night on your hands. I hope today brings relief.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this: When tough times come, like a sick kid, I'm reminded that I'm on that tiny life raft all the time, I just don't notice until I feel fear.

    I so get that.

    I hope she feels better. Your love and comfort will definitely help the process along.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The anxiety that goes with sick kids is truly one of the most difficult parts of mothering for me... I really feel for you and this post brought tears to my eyes because I KNOW that feeling. It sucks. I hope she feels better soon. She is lucky you are her momma.
    - Val

    ReplyDelete
  6. Refuah sheleima - may she find complete healing of body and spirit. You are a great mom. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope she's doing better. It's so hard when they look to us for reassurance and we don't actually know everything.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I hope your sweet girl is better!

    And I love this post. It's SO true, that illusion of control is such a tricker. And I feel the most fear around my boys-their safety and health and sometimes I just don't know what to do with those fears-I'm frozen by them. You just reminded me what to do (again). And I love that about you :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. While reading this, I felt like these were my words/thoughts/fears but I know I could never write as well as you do.:) Guess these are most mom's fears.
    I try very hard not to live in the future of "what ifs" and remind myself often to live one minute at a time. This post made me feel validated and that I'm not neurotic...just a mom who loves her kiddos more than words could describe.
    Sending positive healing vibes Greta's way....

    ReplyDelete
  10. The anxiety that goes with sick kids is truly one of the most difficult parts of mothering for me... I really feel for you and this post brought tears to my eyes because I KNOW that feeling. It sucks. I hope she feels better soon. She is lucky you are her momma.
    - Val

    ReplyDelete