Thursday, December 9, 2010

One Simple Truth

One salty tear plopped onto the envelope, smearing the ink.

I was innocently addressing my holiday cards, and suddenly there I was, weeping.

This happens sometimes, usually at the most unexpected moments.   I'll be minding my business, moving through my day, and WHAM.   A memory will surface that stops me in my tracks.

I had dashed off about forty cards with nary a thought.   As I went to slide the 41st card into its envelope, I looked at the picture.  I mean, really looked at it.   Our holiday cards arrived in the mail last week (from the fabulous Paper Culture) and I double checked spelling and style and moved on to the next thing. 

My hand trembled as I examined our faces.   My brother, who is a photographer by trade, snapped the picture on Thanksgiving Day.   The kids are beaming at the camera, my husband has his strong arms wrapped around all four of us.    We look happy. 

We are happy.   

What made the tear roll down my cheek was a memory from Before, from five years ago.   I remember staring at our holiday card and marveling at how normal we looked.  On the inside I was crumbling from fear and addiction, desperately hoping my dark secret would never be discovered.   On the outside we we looked happy, smiling away at the camera.     As I stuffed the pictures into envelopes I kept thinking:  I am such a fraud. If people only knew.  

When I look at that picture through the lens of today, though, I see how worn out we look.  The cracks were starting to show:



My world was getting smaller and smaller back then.   I think I sent out about twenty-five cards.  Total. 

My life was full of deceit - from hiding how much I drank to hiding how deeply flawed I felt - I had woven myself a web of lies so thick even I couldn't discern truth from fiction anymore.   All I knew was that I had to keep the outside looking okay so nobody would peer too closely.

The thing that set me free was the thing I was most fearful of:   the truth.    Today I know that no matter how bad things get speaking my truths out loud will keep me safe.  

My life now is so full of friendships and light and love that I feel far away from the woman I was Before.   I know she's there, because she whispers to me sometimes, but her voice is as small as a single tear in a vast ocean.

Today I sent out more than three times the number of cards I did five years ago.  The list is full of people who are so dear to me I can't imagine there was a time I didn't know them.   Recovery friends, new friends, old friends I have reconnected with in sobriety.   Bloggy friends and local friends.   The list goes on and on.

It all started with ripping down the web of lies and telling One Simple Truth:  that I am an alcoholic and I need help.

I dropped the pretenses, the need to seem perfect.   I started looking inward for my sense of self-worth, instead of scrabbling away in the outside world and begging you to like me so I'd feel okay with myself.

It's easy to forget how dark and awful it was, how small my world had become.   But I didn't weep because I feel remorseful or shameful; I wept because I'm so very grateful. 

Happy Holiday Season, everyone, from our family to yours:

23 comments:

  1. Lovely picture . . . so glad you feel it on the inside, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Holidays to you.

    Truth is a beautiful, powerful thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, you did your cards! :-)

    It's amazing what shows up in a photo, sometimes, isn't it. You all look so much more free to enjoy each other now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ellie - do you know this post punched me in the gut with understanding. It describes perfectly how I have felt, where I was when everything crumbled in my depression. Every word. My need for others to like me so I could feel good, my growing loss of self-worth. All of it. I'm crying because you understand. Though I didn't turn to alcohol, I can assure you I unleashed my pain in many other ways, particularly in the way I treated my family. Each and every time I read a post about someone else who felt something like I felt it shocks me and helps me heal just a little bith more.

    So many of my friends have said they had no idea, many also just avoid the topic with me altogether. This line, it rings so true for me and articulates exactly how I've lived my life for years.

    "All I knew was that I had to keep the outside looking okay so nobody would peer too closely"

    ReplyDelete
  5. fantastic post.. very inspiring..

    ReplyDelete
  6. The four of you look wonderful and wonderfully happy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful post, beautiful photos!! I am just posted about being grateful too!! Maybe it is just one of those days, I hope everyone can take a little something from your post!!

    Happy Holidays!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a beautiful family. Joy and peace all in one picture! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are gorgeous and so is your family. I don't do holiday cards, but I understand the feeling of wanting to appear happy verses actually being so. Thanks for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loved this post, Ellie. And YOU look all glowing and fabulous this holiday season!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is so odd that this is the third blog (Mine included) that I have come across today that has this theme of hiding from the world, and "if they only knew" fears that we harbor. I love that you can look at your family now and see the real joy there. I love that you have that real joy there.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an amazing picture. Your family is beautiful! And congrats on finding your happiness :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow. Powerful. Notice in the first picture your expression--you look like you're asking a question.

    The current picture is a bold proclamation. Of joy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My God you look more amazing every day.

    ReplyDelete
  15. there is a difference. You are right. I am so happy that you are in a better place.. You deserve only the best.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are going to save my life. Someday. Beautiful pic, I am so happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just look at how happy and at ease you guys are in your photo. This is going to be a great season for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. My heart is all swelled up, Ellie. These pictures...
    I'm so grateful for you. That you are fully alive and well, that you're my friend.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a beautiful family you are! I must say Ellie, you look amazing :) Merry Christmas to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm going to delurk briefly to say that you look truly gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  21. You gorgeous skinny girl!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh how lovely - the picture and the post. I'm so happy for you and your family. You look just beautiful and everyone looks truly comfortable and happy. Joyful. Happy holidays to you - thank you for all you do.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is a beautiful post. Your family looks so full of love. You look AMAZING in the 'after' photo. It's funny how health will actually make you look younger, or maybe it's that you look your age and unhealthy looks older....not sure which one.

    ReplyDelete