Monday, May 17, 2010

Talk About It

Greta was almost five when I got sober.   I came home from rehab 14 days before her 5th birthday.

I spent a good deal of time in rehab wondering how I was going to talk to her about why I was gone for thirty days, searching for words to explain a complicated disease like addiction.

It turns out that I didn't have to explain much, not at first.   As is the way with young kids, she took it in stride that I had been in the "hopspital" because I was sick, but that I was better now and wouldn't be going back.

Her undiluted faith in me was a big part of what kept me strong those first weeks and months.    Every now and then, as I was re-learning how to be a parent, a wife, a daughter, a friend, she would look up at me with her huge brown eyes and say, "I'm glad you're better now, Momma."

Eventually, of course, the questions started to come.   I resolved to answer only what she asked, and to tell her the truth.   When I had been home about four months, she asked me what had made me sick.  

"Alcohol," I replied.  "I am allergic to alcohol, and if I have even a little bit I will get really sick."

"Like the kids at the peanut table at school?  If they have even one peanut they have to go to the hopspital.   They could die."

"Exactly like that," I said.

Last year she started asking me what happened to me when I drank alcohol.   It turns out she had seen a commercial for the television show Intervention, where an intoxicated mother had stumbled around in her front yard, mumbling, before lying down on the grass.

"Did you do that, too?"  she asked.

"I didn't lie down on the lawn," I said, "but when I drink alcohol it makes my mind go funny, I can't think straight, I can't talk straight, and I make really bad choices."

She was quiet a moment, and then she said, "I'm glad you stopped."

Last night we were having an early family dinner, because I had to leave for a recovery meeting.   Greta was overtired from a busy weekend, and didn't want me to go.    We have talked about meetings before. I explained that I go to meetings to talk to other people who are alcoholics (she knows that word now), because even though something is bad for you it can be hard to stay away, and talking to people who understand helps.

She stared at her plate.  "I wish you hadn't drunk all the alcohol, Momma," she said.  "Then you wouldn't have to go to so many meetings."

Two years ago this statement would have hit me like a punch in the gut.  The guilt over being an alcoholic mother was overwhelming.  The first year of sobriety, for me, was all about trying to come to terms with the past, and learning not to let guilt crush me.     As I was struggling to get sober, guilt was the number one reason I would fail.  It was so hard, sober, to face guilt that I would drink to hide from it and the cycle would begin all over again.

Now, however, I'm grateful that she feels comfortable talking about it.  I welcome the questions, the statements, because it means she's not afraid to bring it up.   I don't volunteer information, because I don't want to tell her more than she's ready to hear, so I wait for moments like these to talk.

"Do you remember why I go to meetings?" 

"Yes.  But I don't understand why you drank alcohol even when you knew you were allergic to it.  Even when you knew it would make you sick."

I looked at Steve, and he nodded.   "It's called addiction, honey."  I said.  "I'm addicted to alcohol, so if I have even one drink my mind tells me to have more and more, and I can't stop.    If I have one, it doesn't matter to my brain that it will make me sick, because alcohol makes my thinking all wrong."

She thought about this a moment and then she said, "And I might be allergic too, right?"   

"Yes," I said.  "But we won't know right away.   It's not like a regular allergy where you know immediately that you're sick.   It can take a long time to figure out whether or not you have a problem.   So we're going to have to be really careful."

"No we won't," she said.  "Because I'm never going to drink.    EVER.    If someone offers me a beer, I'm just going to say NO THANK YOU!"

I smiled.   "That's a good plan," I said.  "As you get older we're going to have to keep talking about it.  Especially when you're a teenager."

"Okay," she said.   "But I'm not going to drink, I can tell you that right now.   Not even one sip."

If only it were that simple, I thought.   I guess the best we can do is keep an open dialogue going, hope that both Greta and Finn have enough information to have a healthy fear of alcohol.     I'm hoping that my experience will give me a little street cred with them in the future, because they have seen me fall.   And get back up.

It's ironic, how much my fear of not being a perfect parent kept me afraid and stuck for so long.    Now, I feel like my proudest parenting moment is that I can show them that mistakes can be great teachers, if you're willing to learn.

Three years ago, if someone had shown me this simple scene, together as a family at dinner talking about my alcoholism,  I never would have believed it.   

I'm so very grateful.

17 comments:

  1. My oldest is sixteen. She recently gave a "like" on Faceb00k to "not being an alcoholic" and has been quite vocal to all of her friends that if they choose to drink they will always have a designated driver in her because after seeing what drinking did to me, she doesn't think she's ever going to try it.

    Eighteen months ago she was sipping from my wine glass every time I poured one. Now I do believe she'd sooner eat a rare steak (she's a devout vegetarian) than so much as sniff alcohol.

    I read something recently about how the hard lessons leave bruises and the worst ones leave scars. I'm afraid that my drinking left a scar on both of my daughters...but my hope is that it was more of a bruise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is WONDERFUL. For me, I got sober in September 2007. I found out in early-August 2009 that I was expecting my first child, so I am blessed that my daughter has never known me when I am drunk, and I truly hope she never does, but I do find myself wondering how to explain to her where I go in the evenings, when she is preparing to go to bed, particularly after yesterday, when, for the first time, my daughter squirmed and wailed "Mama!" as I prepared to walk out the door, breaking my heart and at the same time reaffirming WHY I go to those meetings. I want her to want me to be there. I want her to love me and to want it to be ME who puts her to bed at night, and the only way I know to have that is for me to stay sober. I hope she understands as she gets older.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I was a teenager, my parents made sure to talk to me about the alcoholism on both sides of my family tree. It didn't meant that I never did stupid things as a teenager and young adult, but it meant that I had a much greater awareness of the possibilities.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh lady, I love the wisdom in this post. It's such tricky stuff, and I'm learning from you and so grateful. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ellie you are a shining example to your kids. They can see that you were prepared to put them before your addiction (which I know myself can be so so difficult.) Not only that but you are talking to them honestly about it. I think that when they are older and understand more, they will come to admire you greatly. They will have absolute concrete evidence of how much you love them right there in front of them. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. I love this post on so many levels. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ellie,
    I love this post you give me such hope.I am still so new to my sobriety (only 7 days) talking to my kids is really overwhelming me.I have young children and older children so its going to be challenging to explain to each at a different level.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you again Ellie for these posts. I am struggling today, sitting at work waiting for a call to tell us they have a detox bed open for my husband and I am re-reading your posts to give me some hope. I am glad that our kids are in their teens and we have always talked about his problems pretty openly, even when he refused to talk about it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those conversations scare me to death, I know they're coming. Fynn is still so young, that he doesn't really understand, but I know the discussion needs to start at some point when they're little. Because I don't want it to be an unknown or anything hidden...
    You're doing an incredible job w/ the dialog. You better believe I'll be coming here or emailing you when it comes up on this end...

    ReplyDelete
  10. This was just the greatest post to read Ellie. Good, honest talk. My daughter was 4 when I had my last drink, too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have to be brave and honest at a time like this. It is the only way to communicate strength to your daughter when she needs it the most. Be strong and don't forget that there are addiction help centers to lend assistance if needed.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm curious how other parents react to you being an alcoholic. Have you run into situations where children are not allowed in your home for playdates because of parents fears. I'm trying to figure out how I would react. I really hope I could be understanding and trusting, but I've never been faced with a parent that has admitted any addictions to me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jennlm - great question. One of the things I had to come to terms with, before deciding to be public about my recovery, is that people are entitled to their own opinions and reactions to my alcoholism. I had to remember that people (in particular those close to me) have a right to be angry, upset, scared, and that I had to respect their feelings. What I experienced was that by being open about it, people were, in general, very supportive and with time I was able to build back any trust I had lost.

    When it comes to acquaintances, rather than friends/family, it is kind of a different story. I knew there would be gossip (in particular after the Oprah show) and petty talk. I had to be ready for that - I knew in my heart I was sober and working on my recovery - and that had to be enough for me. I didn't experience first-hand anyone who didn't want their kids to come for playdates, or drive with me, but I'm sure it happened (and maybe continues to happen). I'm okay with it. I understand.

    The irony is that secret drinking is happening in every suburb, and the person who is being open about it probably isn't the one you need to worry about. In general, and I apply this all the time to my kids, you can never be totally sure that someone is safe. I don't live a life of paranoia, but I'm very careful about who gets to watch/drive my kids.

    The most important point I'd like to make, though, is to trust your instincts. If you're wondering whether something is off with someone, don't worry about being polite or hurting their feelings. Your gut is probably right - even if it isn't addiction. You don't have to confront them if they aren't close to you, you don't have to tell others about it, but you can withdraw from them.

    If anyone told me directly they didn't want their kids coming over because of their concern about my alcoholism, I would understand. If I was drinking and still sick, I would defend myself endlessly.

    -Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  14. You have to be brave and honest at a time like this. It is the only way to communicate strength to your daughter when she needs it the most. Be strong and don't forget that there are addiction help centers to lend assistance if needed.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ellie,
    I love this post you give me such hope.I am still so new to my sobriety (only 7 days) talking to my kids is really overwhelming me.I have young children and older children so its going to be challenging to explain to each at a different level.

    ReplyDelete
  16. When I was a teenager, my parents made sure to talk to me about the alcoholism on both sides of my family tree. It didn't meant that I never did stupid things as a teenager and young adult, but it meant that I had a much greater awareness of the possibilities.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm curious how other parents react to you being an alcoholic. Have you run into situations where children are not allowed in your home for playdates because of parents fears. I'm trying to figure out how I would react. I really hope I could be understanding and trusting, but I've never been faced with a parent that has admitted any addictions to me.

    ReplyDelete