Thursday, September 10, 2009

Ready, Fire, Aim

My more experienced Mom friends smiled knowingly when I told them I was pregnant with a boy. "Just be ready," they said, "girls will wreck your head but boys will wreck your house."

But, like with a lot of things, I didn't understand what they meant until I experienced it myself. Now I'm starting to get the idea.

I have never been a fan of gender stereotyping. I can't stand that when you go to the big online toy stores they divvy everything up between "boys" and "girls" - as if girls can only want to play Suzy Homemaker and boys only like trucks and cars. My kids seem interested in all manner of things - toys don't run along gender lines in our house. So I don't notice the difference so much in what they play with, as much as how they play. How they approach the world.

Greta and her girl friends create these imaginary worlds, pretend-play games, and the rules of the game seem almost more important than the game itself - it is all about the planning. Listening to her play with a friend the other day, they spent a good 45 minutes plotting their strategy: "you're the princess, and you live in a cottage alone by a lake and you miss your family. I'll be the sister looking for you everywhere, I ride a brown horse. You're singing and washing your clothes in the lake, and I'll come rescue you." They spend all of five minutes playing, before altering the story line and setting the stage all over again. Very little is spontaneous.

Finn is like a mad scientist. He is all about cause and effect. He'll smash things open, mix them together, or take things apart, and his rationale is always the same: "I just wanted to see what happens!" I marvel at how he barrels headlong through life - setting things into motion just to see what will come of it. Even when he is doing something he knows is wrong, he can't always help himself. He doesn't try to cover it up, either. The other day I saw him sneaking up to the sleeping cat, carrying a pair of scissors.

"Don't, Finn" I said. "Don't go near the kitty with the scissors."

"It's okay, Momma!" he says, smiling. "I just going to give him a haircut!"

"No, its dangerous. Put the scissors down."

"It's sewiously okay. I just want to see if it hurts the kitty to cut his hair," he explains.

"Why would you want to hurt the kitty? Just STOP."

He creeps closer to the unsuspecting cat. "It's okay, Momma. I just want to see what happens."

He was obsessed with flushing things down the toilet for a while. I kept explaining that he can't do that, that it could clog the toilet, and he kept doing it. It took me a while to realize the potential of clogging the toilet was precisely why he wanted to do it.

He will sit and do an activity like painting for all of five minutes, and then he'll wonder what would happen if he put the paintbrush up his nose, or smear the paint all over his belly, or splatter the paint on the wall. It is exhausting, trying to anticipate all the ways he could become curious about something as innocent as painting.

I do my best not to compare, not to think "your sister would never have done this." I adore his innate curiosity, how interested he is in interacting with his environment. But it is challenging, when I come in the room and catch him pouring a glass of milk down his pants just, you know, to see what happens.

I notice the differences the most with potty training. Greta was logical and stubborn about the whole process. She completely understood what was required of her, but was going to make up her own mind about when she was ready. One day she decided to use the potty only, and that was that. She was out of pull-ups day and night within five days.

Potty training is proving to be more challenging with Finn. He, too, understands what is required, and started using the potty regularly pretty much as soon as it was introduced. A whole new world was opened up, though. What happens when you pee on a flower? the cat? the rug? a potty for sale at a store? (that was a bad day). Going in hia pants isn't the problem. It is not going on everything else that is difficult. Ready, Fire, Aim.

6 comments:

  1. Two things spring to mind reading this post...a)Elyas' favorite phrase right now is "Mama, what if...?" And b) I worked the floor at a building center in 1992 when someones 2 year old boy decided that the display potty was as good as any in the bathroom. If you think those sales associates don't like you much...you are probably right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have two boys, 9 and 6. On our summer vacation, we were stuck in Boston traffic--in a tunnel, no less--en route to New Hampshire, when the 9 year old needs to go to the bathroom. "How good is your aim?" asks my husband. "Really good!" answers the boy. "Here's an empty soda bottle. Put the cap on tight when you're done."

    1/2 hour later (we are at least out of the tunnel), it's the 6 year old's turn. "How good is your aim?" asks Dad. "It's TERRIBLE," the boy replies.

    Needless to say, we turned off and found a restroom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ei - its good to know I'm not alone with the display potty thing... and yes, we're definitely on that sales associate's short list. :)

    Kirsten - LMAO! At least your 6 year old knows his limitations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a daughter first. I thought I was some super mother because she was so well behaved, especially in stores. Then I had a son and if I didn't position that stroller just so down the center of the aisle you could bet his arms would go out and he would see just how much stuff he could touch without leaving his seat. Shattered my puffed up pride instantly! My second son was even worse.
    The good news is that they are all grown up now. The daughter waited until her twenties to have her rebellious streak. Well, that's hardly good news. And the first son is married and is much better behaved in a store. The second son is my most relationship minded kid who is a deep thinker.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that saying, girls will wreck your head but boys will wreck your house. I am totally with you. I have lots of friends with daughters and they just don't get that boys are different. I had a mother at parents group say "thank god I have a girl" as my son climbed up over the table and started eating the crayons that her daughter was quietly playing with. Boys are BUSY!, but no one will love you like a son.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that saying, girls will wreck your head but boys will wreck your house. I am totally with you. I have lots of friends with daughters and they just don't get that boys are different. I had a mother at parents group say "thank god I have a girl" as my son climbed up over the table and started eating the crayons that her daughter was quietly playing with. Boys are BUSY!, but no one will love you like a son.

    ReplyDelete