Thursday, July 29, 2010

Progress, Not Perfection

I've had some requests for Before and After photos.    I've been dragging my feet on doing this for a couple of reasons.

The first one is a practical one.    I didn't realize it, but I avoided the camera for - apparently - the past five years.     The pictures I do have I did the old put-the-kid-in-front-of-me-so-nobody-can-see-my-body trick:


I avoided candid shots; I didn't want to be captured in an unguarded moment, before I could arrange things for maximum concealment.

The second reason is that it's emotional for me to look at the Before pictures.     I've written about it a lot, but I really didn't have any concept of how much weight I had gained.     I chose not to see.  

I'm not a vain person.    I'm not hung up on looks.    When I look at the Before pictures I remember how happy I was, how good I felt to be sober and free.    Seeing how much more I weighed doesn't change that for me.    

What I feel is a pang of sadness.   The pictures are irrefutable evidence that denial is a powerful thing.    It's not that I knew I weighed too much and didn't care (like I claimed), it's that I really didn't have any idea that I had a problem.   With weight, with food - any of it.   

It's okay, though.    I know, now, that I don't grow if I don't face painful truths.    I don't grow unless I have the guts to look problems in the face, stare them down and make changes.   

I remember getting these pictures back - both are from my trip to Bermuda for my 40th birthday - exactly one year ago.     When I saw these pictures last July, I felt a pulse of fear when I saw what I looked like, and then I mentally slid the truth to the side.    I quickly went through the pile of pictures and selected a few that didn't show much, that caught me at a flattering angle.   I didn't look at the ones that showed the truth.   I found a couple of these pictures, unedited and ignored, in my computer:





I'm learning how to pay attention to my gut reactions; I practice keeping my finger on the pulse of fear or avoidance.   I'm trying to pay attention to unconscious thoughts, those thoughts-beneath-the-thoughts, because I want to be conscious; I want to be aware.      The truth is far scarier when I'm hiding from it.

Because once I face the truth, I can do something about it.    I can set myself free.   







14 comments:

  1. WOW! Not only do you look thinner you look so much more happy! you are glowing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YOU are positively radiant :)
    And you look happy. That's so incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. Wonderful transformation - I agree with the other commenters that it's more the glowing happiness than the weight loss, although that is evident too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how HAPPY you look in those last two. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay!! So excited for you to be on this journey. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Damn Ellie - You look FABULOUS! Congratulations on your journey. You are just the inspiration I need this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ellie, you need to keep wearing these shapely and fitted things, they show off your adorable figure. No more baggy tops for you girl, eva!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ellie - You have always been beautiful but it is true - now you look radiant! Congratulations :)
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the chipmunk cheeks of before, but the big grin of after is even better! I'm reminded of a quote by, I think, Lauren Hutton, in effect it says that there comes a time in a woman's life when she has to choose between her ass and her face; after a certain age, if we want our bums to fit on our chairs, our faces are going to be thinner. I'm reminded about it because your face looks great either way, but I think I prefer the after because of the shiny proud eyes. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, girl! You look amazing. Seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ellie - You have always been beautiful but it is true - now you look radiant! Congratulations :)
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW! Not only do you look thinner you look so much more happy! you are glowing!

    ReplyDelete