Tuesday, January 5, 2010

You Are Not Alone

I get a fair number of emails from women who are struggling with their drinking, are new to recovery, or have been in recovery a while and just want to connect. It's an incredible feeling - the sense of community and comfort I receive talking with other women, many of them mothers, who get it.

I recently joined an incredible Yahoo group, started by Stefanie Wilder-Taylor of Baby on Bored and Sweet Jane of Lights! Camera! Diapers! (check out their fabulous blogs by clicking on the links). It is an anonymous, safe place to meet other women and talk about drinking. Or not drinking. Only a week old, this group is already 58 members strong, and growing every day. It is amazing to get to know these incredible women, hear their stories, and realize that if you are struggling with drinking, or staying sober, you are not alone. We come from all different walks of life, but our stories are so similar. It is inspiring. When I was trying to stop drinking, I felt like the only person on earth who did the things I did, and felt the way I felt. When I finally reached out for help and learned I was not the only one, not by a long shot, it gave me the courage to try recovery.

There are women there who are wondering if they have a problem, women actively trying to get sober, and women who have been in recovery a while and want to stay there. So, if you want a safe, comfortable place to talk about your own drinking and/or recovery, come by and join. The link is here. If you are are concerned about anonymity, you can set up an separate, anonymous Yahoo email account to join.

Even if you're not ready to talk about yourself, it is a good place to just go listen.

You are not alone.

7 comments:

  1. isn't the interwebs a great place?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are love! Welcome anyone and everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just joined ~ I can't wait to read what these women have to say. I struggled for years with recognizingI had a problem, finding the willingness to do something about it, and finally admitting I was powerless over alcohol (and everything else). I love how these connections allow our network of recovery to continue to get bigger.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Val - I'm so glad you joined! See you over there! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. awww! yay for the yahoo! yay for you! Yay for all of the strong awesome chics. Thanks Ellie!

    ReplyDelete