Thursday, January 21, 2010

A Must-See Link about Addiction

We've been hit with "the bugs". When Greta was three she got the stomach flu, and we explained to her that it's called a "tummy bug". From then on, whenever she was sick she'd say "I got the bugs, Momma". And the bugs are back.

It has been a long week, but we seem to be coming out of it. I don't have anything insightful or interesting kicking around in my aching and sleep deprived head, but I wanted to share a link with you. It is an interview with Jeff VanVonderen, one of the interventionists on A&E's show Intervention. He talks about how the cycle of addiction works, how everyone around an addict gets sick, and gives an answer to the question "why can't they just STOP?". It's about seventeen minutes long, but it's good. The interview is a follow-up to a show Oprah is doing today about addictions (food, alcohol, drugs); she will be interviewing three people who went through an intervention themselves. To see the interview with Jeff, click here.

3 comments:

  1. That was well worth the 17 minutes.
    I've met him in person, way back when I had no idea who he was. I attended a weekend workshop he did on topics other than addiction.

    Really great information in that video. Thanks for posting it. I will be linking to it from my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the link and for the tip of the Oprah show being on today. I'm watching it right now and it is quite interesting (and emotional).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for posting this, Ellie. I've watched Intervention for years, even before I was honest with myself about my own need for sobriety. Jeff has aways been my favorite. He just really "gets it" and I think has a real gift for making those who need to "get it", too.

    ReplyDelete