Monday, January 18, 2010

Because Its All About Me

I love me some Celebrity Rehab. I need to make that clear up front. It's voyeuristic reality TV at its worst: watching people play out their lowest moments while I'm sitting comfortably on my couch munching popcorn. What is the fascination with watching train wrecks? Am I the only one who finds this compulsively entertaining? And it is a stretch to call these people Celebrities - okay, maybe Dennis Rodman and Heidi Fleiss were once household names, but I've never heard of most of these people .. Joey Kovar? Lisa D'Amato? I guess I don't watch enough reality TV, which is where several of these people get their dubious starts in the public eye.

Perhaps it is because I've been a train wreck, too, that I can't peel my eyes away from this show. And when the dramatic soundtracks and replays are stripped away, they are just regular people caught up in the web of addiction. The cast members (just the fact that they are considered a cast should be a tip off that there is something askew here) are at various stages with their ability to look objectively at their addictive behavior - some are firmly in Denial, while others are praying they are at Rock Bottom.

My own brief experience on camera was enough to convince me that it is very, very difficult to be yourself with cameramen and producers hovering about. Five complete strangers came to my house, the week before we taped the Oprah show, to interview me in my 'natural' environment. A sound guy, three camera men and one producer followed me around for hours, asking me question after question about some of the most painful moments of my life. "Act natural," the producer kept suggesting. "Pretend we aren't here," she says, while there is a camera lens eight inches from my face and a large microphone dangling in front of my nose. It was terrifying and alluring at the same time. I didn't feel anything like myself, not even close. The urge to edit my life, to project the right image (am I interesting enough? entertaining enough?) was nearly overwhelming. I told my truth, as best I could, and if I hadn't been talking about things that already happened to me, I don't know that I could have done it. If they were asking me about how I feel right now, in this moment, I wouldn't have known how to be truthful. My mind would have been casting about for the most interesting thing to say.

Celebrity Rehab is damaging, I think, to the public's perception of recovery, because it isn't really real. Heidi Fleiss asks a nurse, on the first show, whether or not this is "pretend rehab". The fact that the question has to be asked provides the answer. We, the public, may have become somewhat anesthetized to Reality TV, to watching people play out their lives on camera, thinking the subjects of our voyeurism are barely aware that we're there. But I know the subjects we're watching aren't anesthetized to it - quite the contrary, in fact. I know from my own experience it is impossible to ride out in front on a white horse and think objectively about yourself.

I'm reminded of how my 4 year old seems to view the world: any attention is good attention. It doesn't matter to him that he's behaving badly; he just wants me to Look. At. Him. Better that people are watching, than that nobody seems to care. And, just like with my 4 year old, it works.

I look.

9 comments:

  1. While I have no stomache for celebrity rehab, I watch shows where people are in debt and need help getting out of it, where they hoard everything to the extent that their house is condemned. I figure I just enjoy not being as in rough shape as other people.

    I used to watch the Nanny shows (Nanny 911 and Supernanny) because I figured however bad things were, we weren't that bad. And then I saw a show I could identify with and found it too painful to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Konnie - watching "Hoarders" now (do you guys have that in Canada? Sounds like what you're describing) and feeling superior and guilty at the same time. Just another roller coaster Monday night here in Reality TV Land....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I watch several of the "fake reality" tv shows, as I've named them. I divide the shows into two types: those with regular people seeking help (Nanny 911, Hoarders, Intervention, etc) and those with people wanting to be seen (American Idol, Survivor, Real World, etc). The shows with regular people seeking help really get to me. I watch and realize that I should truly feel grateful because my bad days aren't nearly as bad as they could be, and that only the grace of God keeps me from being in some of those situations. I'm a pack rat and after watching Hoarders I've been rethinking my tendencies to save things.

    With Celebrity Rehab I think some people really are trying to get help, while others just want the attention. Some of the people have been in the public eye for a long time. I wonder if it's possible the cameras have become "normal" for them ?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ellie, yes we get that one. Plus there is another one, also based south of 49th.

    The only show I do watch faithfully is Biggest Loser. Usually while eating ice cream or chips. I got hooked a couple years ago and now it is my Tuesday night fix.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I adore your blog, Ellie. I saw you on Oprah, just by chance a few months back. I was so touched by your honesty and how "real" you were. I thought you seemed appropriately frightened on stage with Oprah, if that makes any sense. I just wanted to hug you and let you know that I could never be as brave and responsible as you. I have to say it again, I adore your blog and your kids are GORGEOUS! Thank you for all your posts to this site and also over on the BB yahoo group. Have you considered writing a book? You have the right combination of humor, sass and direct honesty.
    Fiona

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, and I was also wondering if your clip on Oprah is available online anywhere? I"ve checked youtube and the Oprah site but no luck...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fiona- thanks so much for your nice comment! I was totally terrified on the show, so yes, your comment makes sense! :) Everyone was very professional and very nice, but it was still totally surreal.

    Oprah doesn't have any of her shows available online anywhere, to my knowledge.

    Thanks again for your kind words - that Yahoo group rocks!! :)

    -Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow. I think I am still too new... I cringe at this show. But I appreciate your perspective. As a hider/isolator type, it's hard to imagine that people draw strength from being Looked at, but your point helped me see that. So, if this helps these folks get to recovery, then more power to it. (Plus, I used to listen to Dr. Drew on the radio, and i like him better as a voice than with a visual. Shallow!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I watch several of the "fake reality" tv shows, as I've named them. I divide the shows into two types: those with regular people seeking help (Nanny 911, Hoarders, Intervention, etc) and those with people wanting to be seen (American Idol, Survivor, Real World, etc). The shows with regular people seeking help really get to me. I watch and realize that I should truly feel grateful because my bad days aren't nearly as bad as they could be, and that only the grace of God keeps me from being in some of those situations. I'm a pack rat and after watching Hoarders I've been rethinking my tendencies to save things.

    With Celebrity Rehab I think some people really are trying to get help, while others just want the attention. Some of the people have been in the public eye for a long time. I wonder if it's possible the cameras have become "normal" for them ?

    ReplyDelete