Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Swined

It's here - the swine flu. It hit our house last week. Finn got it first - at the time we didn't realize it was the flu - he got a fever and slept for almost two straight days. Because he is a healthy 4 year old, his symptoms were manageable with Motrin and fluids, and he bounced back quickly. Greta got it next. She woke up weeping one morning, saying she felt "wrong". I asked her where it hurt, and she said "everywhere". On Motrin, she seemed perfectly fine, but the minute it wore off she would start crying and her fever would spike up. She stayed home from school for a few days, slept a lot, and also got over it fairly quickly. I got it on Sunday. One minute I felt fine, and then quite suddenly I felt awful. Within half an hour, I had a high fever, splitting headache and my entire body hurt. I'm on day three and feeling a little better, but weak.

I called the pediatrician, who said "anyone with a fever probably has swine flu; it is too early for seasonal flu. If their fever doesn't go below 104 degrees on Motrin, or they can't breathe, go to the hospital. Otherwise, treat the symptoms and stay home - we can't do anything to help you and we don't want to help it spread by having infected people coming here."

It all had the feeling of the inevitable about it. It started about a week and a half ago - suddenly every Mom I knew had at least one sick child, and absentee rates at school skyrocketed. We did everything we could to avoid it - obsessive hand-washing, staying away from visibly sick kids, getting a lot of rest. It swept through our town like wildfire. After all the media hype, it was hard not to feel like if we got it, we were doomed.

We can't live our lives in fear, but as a parent it is hard to know exactly what to do. The temptation to keep the kids home, to avoid playdates and soccer games, is huge. Greta had heard enough about H1N1 at school to be afraid - when she first got sick she panicked. "Oh NO! I have it, don't I?" she cried. "Am I going to die?"

The only weapon I felt like I had - the vaccine - wasn't available anywhere. So we just braced ourselves, and hoped for the best. Don't get me started on the whole vaccine situation .. I tend to go into a rant about it. We're lucky - our kids are healthy - we aren't in a high risk group. But my heart goes out to those who are - it is inexcusable that the vaccine is in such scare supply, even for those who really need it. I'm still of two minds about the vaccine, anyway. There is so much that is unknown about it - whether or not it really helps, what the side effects are. What it came down to for me was this: if my kid got sick, and I hadn't done everything in my power to help, I would feel terribly. Knowing a vaccine exists out there - somewhere - and not being able to get my hands on it was very frustrating.

I think we live in an era of too much information. When I was a kid we didn't have months and months of media hype warning us of impending sickness. We didn't have flu vaccines. If we have the capability of figuring out viruses, how to de-code them (or whatever it is they do), how they are spread, their origins - if we're going to know that much, we should be able to help people do something about it. Just my two cents.

So we're muddling through. I am very grateful that it isn't worse.

8 comments:

  1. We have it here too. Kjell is the sickest, every night I pray that his temp will come down with tepid baths and motrin, and that his breathing will slow down and sound better. 2 nights down, so far so good. Hopefully it won't last too much longer- I'm exhausted!

    Hope you all are back to 100% soon! Oh, and just to make you feel better- we HAD the vaccine, about a week and 1/2 ago. It hasn't seemed to have made a difference for my kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know it is so sad that even when you can get the vaccine, it takes two weeks for it to be really effective in your system, so there is always that little window.

    Fresh chicken soup for everyone! Feel better!

    @MJBUtah

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you all recover quickly. The media is making everyone very scared, but hopefully most people who get H1N1 have the mild cases. I got the shot on the last day it was available here because I'm in my third trimester and have been very vulnerable to illness with this pregnancy. Hopefully I'm covered.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope all of you are up and feeling better soon. I agree, we live in an era with entirely too much information about certain things!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad it seemed to clear up quickly for you. It's going through our school too. All we can do is wash hands and wait it out. It's scary.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you guys get better soon! Thank goodness it's not like some of the cases I've heard of. Not that it makes you feel better--but it sure makes me not worry about you and your kiddos! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. My son and I both had it too. SUCKS huh? Three weeks later I'm STILL coughing some.

    Glad you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know it is so sad that even when you can get the vaccine, it takes two weeks for it to be really effective in your system, so there is always that little window.

    Fresh chicken soup for everyone! Feel better!

    @MJBUtah

    ReplyDelete