Monday, November 23, 2009

The Coalie Holey

Last week I did a blog about our pets. Yesterday our kitty Coalie was killed - hit by a car in the middle of clear Sunday afternoon. He was a big part of our little family, and we miss him terribly.

I have had lots of pets in my lifetime, and it is always hard when they die. Coalie had a special place in my heart, though - I had never met a cat like him. He was a very loving little creature, and he had a soft spot for me. Virtually every time I sat down, anywhere, he would come scampering across the room to sit in my lap, purring madly. Every night as I settled into bed to read, he would leap up on the bed and settle in next to me (or, if he had his preference, smack dab on the middle of my chest between my face and my book). I always sleep on my side, and each night he'd plop down, perched on my arm, and purr like crazy until he fell asleep.

It's jarring - losing him so unexpectedly. Everywhere I look I think I see him, and it is crushing to realize that isn't him curled on the chair, but only Finn's sweatshirt. Climbing into bed last night it seemed surreal that he was gone - I kept expecting to hear the little thump of his paws running up the stairs.

Greta and Finn are sad, of course, but kids have a very pure way of processing death. Finn understands that Coalie is gone and he isn't coming back, but he hasn't cried about him. He's talking about him a lot, though. Greta and I cried together for a while yesterday afternoon, remembering all the things we loved about him. As her tears dried, she looked up and said "You know what, Mom? Maybe there was a little girl in Heaven who needed a kitty. Now she has Coalie."

We had a little burial out in the woods, said a few prayers for him, and put down a little headstone. As we solemnly walked back to the house, I was thinking about the innocence of animals. How all they really want from you is love. Coalie's affection could drag me out of the worst mood. I'd be sitting in a funk feeling sorry for myself, and he'd crawl into my lap, purring and nudging me for attention. Petting him brought me a measure of peace, and reduced my anxiety.

Seeing Greta sad over the loss of Coalie gave me twinges of guilt. Steve and I knew this might happen, we did the best we could to keep him safe, but we live off a busy road and we always understood this was a danger we faced. The kids became so attached to him, only to have him wrenched away too soon. Was that fair to do to them? Should we have avoided getting a cat because of this danger? The fact is, though, that he brought a lot of love into this house. And it was worth it. I don't want to miss out on that kind of love, just out of a fear of loss.

We kept his food down in the basement, and so the dog wouldn't get it we cut a little circle opening in the base of the door, just big enough for Coalie to fit through. We called it the "Coalie Holey". Now I have a Coalie Holey in my heart, but I am so grateful to have known this loving little spirit. We're hugging each other a little tighter today.

14 comments:

  1. A lap cat? those are so hard to find! Neither of my 2 current cats care to snuggle! My lap cat at my parents died about a year after my dad passed. It was so hard because he was one of the last connections we had with my dad. But greta put it bes: someone in heaven is missing their cat and im sur Coalie found his way to them! And now our Puffin is with my dad... on his lap! i do not think you should avoid a pet because of what happened. Its a life lesson and like you said...it provides so much extra life to a house! Coalie will send you another pet to love! ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry for your loss. But what a lovely sentiment - a little one in heaven now has Coalie to cherish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. Pets truly are treasured family members. Coalie sounds like he was a wonderful cat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please don't second guess your decision to let Coalie be a apart of your children's lives. I had a series of pet cats when I was growing up. Though I was devastated when each one died, I don't regret for a minute, having those pets in my life. Some of my fondest memories include times spent with my pets.

    The pain of losing a pet (for any reason) is great, but the love, affection, and joy that an animal can bring can fill your heart. As you said, there were times that just petting Coalie made you feel better, and those experiences are priceless, for both adults and children. I am so sorry for your loss (because I'm sure you're just as devastated as the kids).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry about your cat-the picture of him and Finn made my day when you first posted it.

    Don't doubt your decision to have a pet. He needed a home-yours. He'd have still needed one even if you didn't take him in. And while his time was short, he had what a lot of animals don't have-a family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's so sad! I'm sorry for your family. We've had an indoor-only cat for a while for the same reason, but it's a hard choice, knowing how much she wants to be outside reducing the local bird population.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sorry for your loss. I know how important Coalie was to your family. Animals are very loving and affectionate creatures, and when they are a part of our families they help us to get back in touch with those sides of ourselves. We are blessed to have them in our human lives.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so very sorry. My cat died a year ago. I had him for 15 years, longer than any of my kids. I sobbed like a baby for days when he died. It's hard, but I'm happy to have had him.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So sorry Ellie. How traumatic for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ellie -I'm so sorry to hear about your kitty. We've lost 2 cats on the road in front of our house, the last one about a year ago. His name was Frosty and I felt the same way about him that it sounds like you did about Coalie. He was such a sweetie and I still miss him and feel guilty that I wasn't able to keep him safe. The kids still mention him and ask about him being in Heaven - especially Ella. Anytime we hear of someone that has died she'll say "maybe they'll see Frosty!". It does get better btu I'll be thinking of you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  11. We had to put my 14 year old mini daschund, Joni, down about a month ago. I held her--very hard but worth the sacrifice. I totally understand the surrealness of that little loving heart being absent. I can still feel my little girl snuggling in my arms.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ellie -I'm so sorry to hear about your kitty. We've lost 2 cats on the road in front of our house, the last one about a year ago. His name was Frosty and I felt the same way about him that it sounds like you did about Coalie. He was such a sweetie and I still miss him and feel guilty that I wasn't able to keep him safe. The kids still mention him and ask about him being in Heaven - especially Ella. Anytime we hear of someone that has died she'll say "maybe they'll see Frosty!". It does get better btu I'll be thinking of you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's so sad! I'm sorry for your family. We've had an indoor-only cat for a while for the same reason, but it's a hard choice, knowing how much she wants to be outside reducing the local bird population.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so very sorry. My cat died a year ago. I had him for 15 years, longer than any of my kids. I sobbed like a baby for days when he died. It's hard, but I'm happy to have had him.

    ReplyDelete