Sunday, November 29, 2009

A Letter To Me, Before:

Breathe.

Take a look around you. See that little baby, just learning to sit up on her own? She loves you, simply and with her whole heart. Soak it in. Do not be afraid of her love.

You think this is so hard, impossibly hard, this parenting thing. The long hours, the boredom, the constant needs. You don't feel up to the task, do you? You are doing fine. More than fine. You just can't see it.

That anxiety you feel? That deep fear? Embrace it. It's a gift, because it means you love fiercely. You want to hide from that love, because it's deeper and more powerful than anything you have ever felt before. It's mother-love, and it scares you. You don't know if you can bear it, the sheer weight of it on your shoulders.

Be gentle to yourself. You don't have to do everything perfectly - there is no such thing. Trust your heart, it knows what it's doing. Don't over think. Your mind can't get a grip on matters best left to the heart. Put down the parenting books, the magazine articles. Stop the constant comparisons, your endless quest for ways you don't measure up.

See that glass in your hand? The deep red swirl of wine? You think it makes the fear, the insecurity, the weariness all better, don't you? You feel it masks the anxiety, the self-doubt, the boredom. Know this: it masks the love, the joy and the laughter, too. You are trying to erase yourself from the picture, a little at a time, because you don't believe you're good enough.

You can't picture letting go of your fear. You think it is keeping you safe. It is keeping you stuck and alone. You can't imagine a life without the need to hide from yourself.

You don't really hear the giggles of your baby as you rub her belly, or notice how her face lights up at the sight of you. You don't really notice how strong her chubby fingers are when she clutches your thumb, or how she likes to rub her feet against you as she falls asleep. You don't see these things because you are scared to love that much. You are hiding within yourself, afraid.

Know that this fear isn't born out of despair, it is born out of love. A beautiful, all encompassing, love.

Have faith that it is going to be okay. Things will work out the way they are supposed to, and all the worry and anxiety you feel won't change that. So let go. Get up each day with a grateful heart. Or at least try to. Be present. Be present for all of it.

Breathe.

18 comments:

  1. Wow! How beautiful and so, so, so true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a beautiful post!! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so that woman that you're writing to there. Thanks for what you wrote, it does help.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Ellie, for another beautifully written piece.
    My oldest turns 8 today, and this piece was a very timely reminder on this anniversary of my becoming a mother.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When my kids reached a certain age I felt like the word "Listen" was popping into my head every other minute. It was hard work to listen. Being present is hard work. Aren't you so glad that you know being present is an option. There was a time when being present wasn't one for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a great post- all those simple joys we missed "before."

    ReplyDelete
  7. i want this so. how do you let it go?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous -

    There isn't an easy answer to that one. Part of it was that I just let myself be afraid and uncomfortable for a while. Before I could really let go, I had to own that I couldn't drink in safety, and that alcohol was destroying the person I wanted to be. I reached out for help, and when I realized I wasn't alone, I felt SO much better.

    If you want to email - I'm at ellieandsteve@verizon.net If not, just please know that a life without alcohol is not nearly as scary as a life full of fear, self-doubt, lies and shame. There is hope. And you are not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow Ellie, thank you for this gorgeous essay. I followed from BFB - thank you so much for posting. I'm all weepy and trying to pull it back together 'cause you just nailed it with your words. Thank you...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm with Jane. Teary and grateful for that link. Oh man. It's just so so true and beautifully written. thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are just lovely. Thank you for sharing so much with all of us. Oh my heart this touched me so. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just clicked over from your most recent post, and this is amazing. Absolutely.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just clicked over from your most recent post, and this is amazing. Absolutely.

    ReplyDelete
  14. what a great post- all those simple joys we missed "before."

    ReplyDelete
  15. After being in relationship with George for five years,he broke up with me, I did everything possible to bring him back but all was in vain, I wanted him back so much because of the love I have for him, I begged him with everything, I made promises but he refused. I explained my problem to someone online and she suggested that I should contact a spell caster that could help me cast a spell to bring him back but I am the type that don't believed in spell, I had no choice than to try it, I meant a spell caster called DR Mako and I email him, and he told me there was no problem that everything will be okay before three days, that my ex will return to me before three days, he cast the spell and surprisingly in the second day, it was around 6pm. My ex called me, I was so surprised, I answered the call and all he said was that he was so sorry for everything that happened, that he wanted me to return to him, that he loves me so much. I was so happy and went to him, that was how we started living together happily again. Since then, I have made promise that anybody I know that have a relationship problem, I would be of help to such person by referring him or her to the only real and powerful spell caster who helped me with my own problem and who is different from all the fake ones out there. Anybody could need the help of the spell caster, his email: Makospelltemple@yahoo.com or call him :+2348108737816.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I was married at 32 and immediately tried to get pregnant. When I was unable to conceive I had blood tests for fertility and was told that I had an FSH (follicle stimulating hormone) of 54 and would not be able to have children. Even though the doctors knew that I had been diagnosed with Hashimoto’s thyroiditis since age 25, no one bothered to check my thyroid levels. my TSH was measured at .001. My Synthroid dosage was lowered. a friend advise me to contact a spiritualist who help with fertility with his medicine, i collected his contact and explain my situation to him he prepared for me a herbal medicine which i took as describe by him. became pregnant very quickly, I had a successful pregnancy. I have my baby august 2017. to get pregnant at age 35 with my 2nd child in september 2019, thank you sir , this is his email contact if you require his help babaka.wolf@gmail.com or Facebook at priest.babaka

    ReplyDelete

  17. My name is CARISSA WILLIAM, and I base in USA...My life is back!!! After 2 years of Broken marriage, my husband left me with two kids . I felt like my life was about to end i almost committed suicide, i was emotionally down for a very long time. Thanks to a spell caster called Dr AIFEBO , which i met online. On one faithful day, as I was browsing through the internet,I came across allot of testimonies about this particular spell caster. Some people testified that he brought their Ex lover back, some testified that he restores womb,cure cancer,and other sickness, some testified that he can cast a spell to stop divorce and so on. i also come across one particular testimony,it was about a woman called Sonia,she testified about how he brought back her Ex lover in less than 2 days, and at the end of her testimony she dropped Dr AIFEBO e-mail address. After reading all these,I decided to give it a try. I contacted him via email and explained my problem to him. In just 24hours, my husband came back to me. We solved our issues, and we are even happier than before Dr AIFEBO, is really a gifted man and i will not stop publishing him because he is a wonderful man... If you have a problem and you are looking for a real and genuine spell caster to solve all your problems for you. Try High dr. aifabospelltemple@gmail.com
    anytime, he might be the answer to your problems. Here's his contact: dr.aifebospelltemple@gmail.com.
    (1)If you want your ex back.
    (2) if you always have bad dreams.
    (3)You want to be promoted in your office.
    (4)You want women/men to run after you.
    (5)If you want a child.
    6)You want to tie your husband/wife to be yours forever.
    (7)Herbal care
    (8)Marriage Spells.......

    ReplyDelete