Thursday, October 28, 2010

Triggered

In the final days of my thirty day stay at the last treatment center I went to, we talked a lot about triggers.

I sat face-to-face with my counselor, a lean woman in her mid-fifties, with billowy silver-blonde hair and half moon glasses perched on the tip of her nose.   She asked me to make a list of situations that might trigger me - make me want to drink - so we could come up with strategies on how to get through them without succumbing to the obsessive thoughts, the cravings.

I wrote down the obvious ones - weddings, parties, the holidays, social events in town.   

"Dig deeper," she told me.   "Think about your drinking patterns, what made you want to hide from yourself?"

My hand trembled as I wrote two words on the page:    My kids. 

I burst into tears, sobbed into my hands and said, "What is wrong with me?   What kind of mother wants to hide from her kids?" 

She leaned forward, looked me dead in the eye, and said:  "The human kind."

~~~~

It took many months of sifting through guilt, shame and regret to figure out that my feelings about motherhood weren't there because I didn't love my children, or that I wasn't cut out to be a mother.    I love my children beyond measure - I always have and I always will.    

It's just that I don't always like them; there are days when I just want to hit the pause button for a while.   It's more than just the constant needs of two young kids - it's about fear, too.

Sometimes it hits me like a punch in the gut - how fragile the world is, how many bad things can happen, the myriad of ways to get this motherhood thing wrong.   The stakes feel insurmountably high.   My own flaws and inadequacies scream at me like sirens:  How can I possibly not screw them up when I'm so riddled with doubts, insecurities, and neuroses?   

It makes me want to hide, to withdraw from the center of their love.   Not because I don't love them, but because I do.   A huge part of my drinking was the mistaken belief that I was saving them - from me - by removing myself from the equation, bit by bit.

Admitting that to myself was the hardest part of getting sober, but without facing that truth I'm not sure I could have succeeded.  

~~~~

Yesterday was one of those days where I couldn't get out of my own way.   The sound of Finn's voice was sending shivers up my spine.   He was needy, clingy, whiny;  he spent most of the day pressed to my side or draped across my lap.     We had plenty to do yesterday; it wasn't boredom.    

He sensed something in me, I know he did , because he kept saying, over and over, "I love you, Momma.  I'll always love you, know matter what."

"I love you too, Finn," I dutifully replied, each and every time, but my insides were churning:  Don't love me, kid.   Don't need me this much.  I can't take it.

The needier and more clingy Finn got, the more the knife of guilt twisted in my gut.     I plugged him into a television show and snuck outside on the porch for some quiet reflection.  

Own it, I thought.  You don't feel like being a Mom today.   Just let it be what it is.  Let it go.

My counselor's words echoed in my head.   I'm human.   Being a mother doesn't trump my own feelings, frustrations and desires.    Just do the best you can, and wait it out

~~~~

Last night I had a drinking dream.   I was at a wedding, and I kept sneaking off to sip red wine from a hidden bottle in the bathroom.    At the end of the night, I went into the bathroom for one final sip before I had to go home, and I looked in the mirror.   My eyes were flat, dead.   I forced a smile - to practice looking normal - and recoiled in horror:   my front teeth were missing.  

I woke up in a cold sweat, and ran to the bathroom to check my teeth, make sure it was just a dream.  

My hands were shaking as I Googled 'dreams about missing teeth'.   The answer left me cold:  Tooth loss dreams are symbolic of the deepest fears human beings have.

Yesterday's feelings of guilt, inadequacy and frustration stirred the beast that lies within me.  It didn't trigger any active cravings or thoughts of drinking, but it woke up that deep rooted, fearful part of me that feels undeserving of my kids' love.
~~~~

When I opened my eyes this morning, my first sight was Finn's sleeping profile; he had climbed into our bed at some point during the night.

I studied the curve of his cheek, his long black lashes.   I placed my hand on his chest, slowly rising and falling with his breath, and felt his strong little heartbeat.

I waited for the fear.   It didn't come.

Today is a new day.


15 comments:

  1. I get excited whenever I see you have a new post up. I know it will be something insightful and thought provoking.
    I have had the 'teeth missing' dreams. Scary. I think it must have something to do with clenching your teeth while you're dreaming fear filled images and emotions. I still wake up with a moment of "was that real?" and have to remind myself that everything is ok, God is watching over me.
    Keep writing Ellie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great post it makes me feel better as a mom and once or twice a month I have a dream about my teeth falling

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have had the missing teeth dreams for years-- although mine aren't missing, they crumble in my mouth, usually when I am trying to call someone on the phone for help (analyze that one, huh?). The dreams were especially bad during both pregnancies. Imagine my surprise when I told my doc about the crazy dreams, and how frightening they were, and she told me about her own teeth dreams! They are VERY common.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can totally relate to insecurities, the fears, the feeling of wanting to escape from motherhood sometimes. The reminder to just do the best we can and wait it out is so helpful to me right now. You are so real and I often feel like you are speaking just to me with your writing. Thank you, Ellie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ellie... you know I was there with you yesterday... and it's no better today (aaacckkk!!)
    Missing tooth dreams are just as bad as drinking dreams, I never put two and two together, but it makes sense, and I get them around the same time. Interesting...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah. recovering or not, the fear of/attempt to remove oneself slowly, is a powerful one to have named... i'm glad to have read here today... waiting for tomorrow tonight...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've had those darned tooth loss dreams more than once in the past 3 months. They are horrific. I am soo happy that today is a beautiful new day!!! Big hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The only way I can hold my head up as a mother is knowing that God is bigger than my parenting mistakes. And the only way I can believe that is because my life today is proof God was bigger than my parents' parenting mistakes.

    Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My mom used to tell my sister and I all the time "I love you, but sometimes I just don't like you very much". We didn't understand it when we were younger, but it didn't scar us, either. She was honest with herself, and honest with us.

    Now that I'm allegedly a grownup, even without kids I know exactly what she meant. I love my job, but there are days that I'd like to go all Milton from Office Space and torch the place. I love my husband, but good LORD can he rub on my last nerve sometimes. I even love my cat, but when she pukes on the bed in the middle of the night, I definitely do not like her very much. I am sometimes even in the position of telling my mom that I love her but I just don't like her much right now.

    Admitting that sometimes people or things drive you crazy, that sometimes you don't like them very much even when you love them, isn't a cop our or an admission of weakness, it's being human and honest. You don't need me to tell you this, but hiding from those feelings in a bottle, or a bag of donuts, or at the mall, or whatever the addiction du jour is-that's the cop out.

    I love reading your blog. I think you'd be surprised at how many child-free, non alcoholic/addicts gain insight from your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm very surprised how much I relate to many of your stories. I've really struggled being a mom. The biggest struggle for me is that I don't enjoy it or want it more, even though I adore and love my kids so much that it aches sometimes. I've even said (in my own head), "Please don't need me right now". I guess a lot of moms do. I have very high expectations of myself and I don't deal well with failure. In comes a lot of feeling down or angry at my loss of freedom and feeling like I'm failing them.

    I find your descriptions of processing pain very helpful and articulate. Sometimes you need to cut through the vague and get into the specific. That has helped me even identify my own issues with booze as I've been reading your posts. Thanks for the transparency.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for this. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My mom used to tell my sister and I all the time "I love you, but sometimes I just don't like you very much". We didn't understand it when we were younger, but it didn't scar us, either. She was honest with herself, and honest with us.

    Now that I'm allegedly a grownup, even without kids I know exactly what she meant. I love my job, but there are days that I'd like to go all Milton from Office Space and torch the place. I love my husband, but good LORD can he rub on my last nerve sometimes. I even love my cat, but when she pukes on the bed in the middle of the night, I definitely do not like her very much. I am sometimes even in the position of telling my mom that I love her but I just don't like her much right now.

    Admitting that sometimes people or things drive you crazy, that sometimes you don't like them very much even when you love them, isn't a cop our or an admission of weakness, it's being human and honest. You don't need me to tell you this, but hiding from those feelings in a bottle, or a bag of donuts, or at the mall, or whatever the addiction du jour is-that's the cop out.

    I love reading your blog. I think you'd be surprised at how many child-free, non alcoholic/addicts gain insight from your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ah. recovering or not, the fear of/attempt to remove oneself slowly, is a powerful one to have named... i'm glad to have read here today... waiting for tomorrow tonight...

    ReplyDelete
  14. The only way I can hold my head up as a mother is knowing that God is bigger than my parenting mistakes. And the only way I can believe that is because my life today is proof God was bigger than my parents' parenting mistakes.

    Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for this. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete