Monday, June 8, 2009

Step One

The numbers are staggering. Nearly 20 million adults in America struggle with alcoholism. Over half of American adults have a close family member who is an alcoholic, either active or in recovery. Most people know someone, or of someone, who has struggled with the disease.

The statistics on recovery are even more grim. The success rate of long term recovery for alcoholics who have undergone treatment hovers around 7%. It is a disease that thrives on silence and humiliation. When someone has cancer, or diabetes or any other lifelong chronic illness, the person fighting that disease isn't usually subject to the same judgements or humiliation that the alcoholic endures.

I don't usually like to talk about statistics. Because the long-term recovery success rate is so abysmal, many chronic alcoholics are given up for lost. And many of them are, sadly, permanently lost. In AA there is a saying that an active alcoholic is heading one of three places: jail, institutions or death. But in many ways the statistics are useful: if you, or someone you love, is struggling with alcoholism they are not alone. And it is a disease that effects quite literally all walks of life - every economic and ethnic background.

It is a cunning and baffling disease. And it is a disease. Because of the humiliation and embarrassment involved with alcoholism, many people suffer longer than they need to because they feel that they should be able to get a handle on it. They feel its a moral issue. They feel they are weak, shameful and somehow "less than" because they cannot stop drinking. But the reality is this: if you are an alcoholic it is a virtual certainty that you will not be able to stop drinking without help. But in order to get help, you need to admit a problem .. this first step is the hardest, and in my opinion its why the statistics are so grim. Admitting that you are powerless over alcohol, that your life has become unmanageable (this is Step One of the Twelve Steps of Recovery) is close to impossible. Alcoholics are so fearful of the consequences of admitting their problem, they stay mired in the disease - it is all they know.

Addiction, at the risk of sounding cliche, was like spending many years inside a dark movie theater, watching my life play out on the screen. There, but not there. Laughing, crying, loving, reacting, but always one step removed from what was going on. And not even realizing there was another way. I won't pretend that I can explain addiction. Its like trying to describe the color red to someone who is blind from birth. Words fall really, really short. But I can describe Recovery.

Recovery is like emerging from the dark theater into the brightness of day. Blinding, confusing, scary and loud. And that feeling of disorientation you experience when you come out of a movie, where you have been completely absorbed in a story, in the characters, so that when you step back into the real world you have to take a few minutes to remember what time it is, what you were doing before you went in, where you are supposed to be... in early recovery that disorentation lasts a long time. And on top of that there is lots of fear, shame, embarrassment and pain. For me, it was living in reality, living in the truth, for the first time in a long while. It takes time to get oriented. It takes even more time to move past the shame, face your fears (in many cases figure out what those fears were in the first place), and to heal. Because alcoholics aren't bad people, they're sick people. And they need time to get well. Without help - for me it is Alcoholics Anonymous - they are bound to run back to the familiar, the 'safe' world of addiction, where life isn't really real. Where life happens to you, and you aren't an active participant. And although it is sad, it is familiar. You don't have to feel your feelings, you just sort of observe them. Addiction tamps down all the bad stuff, but here's the rub: it takes the good stuff with it, too.

Here is the good news: Recovery is amazing. For anyone who has hit rock bottom, for any reason, and then come back up - you will know what I'm talking about. I get to rediscover just about everything. I don't know what I thought life on the other side of Alcoholism would be like, but I certainly didn't think it would be this full of laughter, love and wonder. I have met the most incredible people in Recovery. Anyone who can stare down their worst fear, and win, is made of something special. The irony is that beating addiction isn't an event - its a way of life. For a long time I didn't understand (hated, in fact) the saying "One Day At A Time". I would think, cynically, "as if we can live more than one day at a time?". But in reality, that is exactly what many of us do. We are rarely there, really there, in a given moment, or even a given day. We're always thinking about what's next.... all of the "if only's" in life. Rushing around to the point of blindness, forgetting to see what is right under our noses. In recovery, I see everything with new eyes. I am full of gratitude. I used to think it was sad that I had to go through the hell of addiction to realize all I have, but I am - truly - grateful it happened. Recovery has taught me to keep things simple, realize the pure joys found everywhere, everyday.

People often ask me why I'm so open about my disease. They are often shocked that I am able to talk about it freely. They say things like "its called Alcoholics Anonymous for a reason, you don't need to tell the world if you don't want to". But I do want to. I have enormous respect for why AA works. Without the promise of Anonymity, most people would never, ever go to their first meeting, let alone stay there. I understand that completely. But for me, speaking my truth is a critical part of my own recovery. When I finally got help, when I learned that it is a disease, when I felt the power of the unity, empathy and acceptance I receive when I'm surrounded by other alcoholics in recovery, I couldn't keep it to myself. It was so freeing to understand that I wasn't alone. And here's the thing - I'm not embarrassed in the slightest. I'm not shameful, and I'm not afraid. And I can't be quiet about - then the disease wins.

If you, or someone you know, is struggling with alcoholism - get help. A good place to start is Alcoholics Anonymous: http://www.aa.org/.

17 comments:

  1. I have never heard recovery described that way - it's a fantastic analogy. Great piece.
    -Karin in CT

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was very beautifully written. I am so glad to see that you are now free. Congratulations on all of the wonderful progress that you have made! You are a walking testimony for many people, and your words will help them greatly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you, and good for people who love you, and good for people who wonder about alcoholism, and people who need to know more about what it feels like. Thank you for sharing your insights... the world is a better place for you and for your sharing!

    xom

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are very brave! My dads an alcoholic, and I feel lucky to have grown up with Ala-teen to help me cope, it has taught me so much! And not just about alcoholism and how to understand it, but about how to live a healthy life, how not to be afraid of changing the things I can, and seeking deep truth. I wanted to see if you had ever heard of the book Potatoes not Prozac, strange title I know, but google it. The author runs a treatment center with an insane success rate for lasting recovery. I found it on my quest to understand myown depression, and it taught me so much about my dad, and my self. Please check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My best friend is a recovered alcoholic. I am so proud of him it makes me want to cry. Congratulations on your recovery.


    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  6. The thing about statistics is that, no matter how low they are, there are people who far exceed them. My friend has a cancer with a 14% five-year survival rate, but to his way of thinking, there must be people out there living twenty years with it or it would be lower than 14%. Stats tend to bring people down if they can't look at the other side.

    ReplyDelete
  7. One of my best friends in my mid-twenties was a recovering alcoholic. I got to know her friends from AA, and they were such a caring, funny bunch of people. Nobody knows how to have a great time like recovering alcoholics. I spent so much time having fun with them that I ended up rarely drinking myself and not missing it :) You can do this! Be the success story!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the support, everyone. It means the world to me.

    And EJ - I like the way your friend thinks!

    Becky - thanks for the support - and the recovering alcoholics I know are the funniest bunch of people out there. We laugh ALL the time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful post. Alcoholism has been a shadow in my family for many years. For us, it has been self medication for mental illness. Covering one "socially unacceptable" disease with another.

    I get questionable looks when I speak openly about my mental illness. Well-meaning friends and in-laws often ask when I think I will be able to stop taking my medication. I thought I had escaped the family "curse" until my son was born almost 4 years ago. When he was 5 months old, I spent a weekend in a mental hospital. I don't remember my baby's first Christmas. Never again will a disease take me away from this life!

    Thank you so much for being willing to share your story. Angie

    ReplyDelete
  10. thank you so much for sharing your recovery! My brother in law is 6 months into recovery and also found help in AA. Your words help me understand and will help me in supporting him! I wish you and all who are dealing with this disease strength and happiness!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My sister-in-law is an alcoholic. You just gave me a profound insight into what it's like inside her mind. Since I know that nothing will change until she is ready to change it's like watching an accident waiting to happen. You just hold your breath and hope no one gets seriously hurt. Thanks for being open about it - I agree with you that the more people talk the less alone everyone else will feel. And good luck - you are one tough cookie!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am here from DaMomma, and wanted to comment and thank you for your openness.

    I am very open about having had (and sometimes still getting, but happily not at the moment) depression. And it is amazing how often someone in the room looks at me with that expression that says, "But I thought I was the only person in the world feeling like this."

    ReplyDelete
  13. The Oak Tree
    by Johnny Ray Ryder Jr



    A mighty wind blew night and day
    It stole the oak tree's leaves away
    Then snapped its boughs and pulled its bark
    Until the oak was tired and stark

    But still the oak tree held its ground
    While other trees fell all around
    The weary wind gave up and spoke.
    How can you still be standing Oak?

    The oak tree said, I know that you
    Can break each branch of mine in two
    Carry every leaf away
    Shake my limbs, and make me sway

    But I have roots stretched in the earth
    Growing stronger since my birth
    You'll never touch them, for you see
    They are the deepest part of me

    Until today, I wasn't sure
    Of just how much I could endure
    But now I've found, with thanks to you
    I'm stronger than I ever knew



    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am fairly certain I am headed down your same path. Kudos to you for your bravery.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Bravo to you Ellie on your courage and honesty while you are on this journey.
    "One day at a time"... So very true! (:

    ReplyDelete
  16. One of my best friends in my mid-twenties was a recovering alcoholic. I got to know her friends from AA, and they were such a caring, funny bunch of people. Nobody knows how to have a great time like recovering alcoholics. I spent so much time having fun with them that I ended up rarely drinking myself and not missing it :) You can do this! Be the success story!

    ReplyDelete
  17. My sister-in-law is an alcoholic. You just gave me a profound insight into what it's like inside her mind. Since I know that nothing will change until she is ready to change it's like watching an accident waiting to happen. You just hold your breath and hope no one gets seriously hurt. Thanks for being open about it - I agree with you that the more people talk the less alone everyone else will feel. And good luck - you are one tough cookie!

    ReplyDelete