Wednesday, July 31, 2013

On Fear, Ego and Gratitude. With a Cameo by Queen Latifah.

I used to think that what made me different from everyone else was my fear.

Fear of just about everything - not fitting in was at the top of the list. I didn't realize what a fruitless goal fitting in actually is, because the bar is always moving.  Am I supposed to be fashionable like her? Brave like him? Popular like them? Athletic? Thin? Soulful? Smart?

Like a chameleon, I would shape shift to fit in with whoever I was talking to, while a silent ticker tape ran in my head: does this person like me? Am I fitting in? 

It's exhausting.

I was afraid of rejection, abandonment, vulnerability.  I thought that if I didn't look like I had my shit together that everything would fall apart. I believed that people loved the version of me I had shown them, and that if they knew about the vast emptiness inside me, if they knew about the fear, they would run for the hills.

Automatically, anything that came from deep inside me was rejected as inadequate.

I filled this hole inside me with anesthesia for so long.  Motherhood scared me, so I numbed it out with wine. Crowds of people scared me, so I numbed it out with a false extroverted persona.   I was simultaneously afraid of being ignored and being recognized.  Nothing -and I mean nothing - was ever good enough.

Enough. There's a concept. Having enough. Being enough.   For a long time, I defined "enough" from the outside in ... and not surprisingly the feeling of having enough or being enough eluded me.

What I didn't know is that everyone is afraid, whether they know it or not.  We're conditioned to hide it, to appear put together, sure of ourselves.  Social media exacerbates this phenomenon -- you don't see many Facebook updates about how bored, messy, afraid, angry or resentful we are.

I'm still afraid a lot, except now I don't have my anesthesia.  Facing fear naked is, well, scary.  Sobriety robbed me - gradually - of the ability to fake it, to appear fine when I'm not.  Little by little, I began to recognize that my fear of life was incredibly selfish, ego run rampant.  The world simply doesn't care about my fine-ness as much as I'd like to believe it does.

Cultivating the courage to be open, vulnerable, was the key to freedom from fear, it turns out, but when I began blogging, dumping my imperfections and fears out on the page for the world to see, I was terrified.  I would walk through the supermarket convinced I knew what everyone was thinking about me:  there she goes, the alcoholic. I'm so glad I'm not like her. 

How self centered is that? 

Little did I know that being open and vulnerable would bring people in, not send them away.

I went to the blogging conference BlogHer in Chicago this past week.  As I wrote about in my last post, I was feeling fear and unworthiness about reading a post of mine at the Voices of the Year community keynote in front of thousands of people.  My old nemesis fear was riding shotgun, fueling my fear-based ego:  you're unworthy of this, people will mock you, ignore you, talk behind your back. You're not as good as the other readers, not as important a blogger. 

Sitting behind the stage, waiting for my turn to read, I was lost in self, in fear.  Every cell in my body screamed at me: you're SMALL.

So I prayed.  I got out of my own head. I looked around at my fellow readers and felt such joy for them, and it hit me: what's wrong with feeling joy for myself?  

Gratitude overwhelmed me as I prayed:  I get to have this amazing experience. It doesn't define me in any way, it's just a really amazing thing I get to do. 

Living closed off in fear is so much harder than living open and vulnerable.  So many amazing people have come into my life - people I used to peek at from my self-perceived sideline and think: wow, she's got it all together.  Now some of these people are good friends - soul mates, even - and we are broken and beautiful together.   I try to fill that emptiness inside me with acceptance - first of myself, then of others.  Jealousy or resentment let me know that fear is taking control again.  Feelings of unworthiness make me examine my ego, tell me that I'm closing off instead of opening up.

When I took the stage that night I felt only peace and gratitude.  I took a deep breath and read my piece as though I was the only person in the room.


Because that's who I write for:  me.

Of course, this was pretty awesome, too:

Queen Latifah emcee'd the Voices of the Year


23 comments:

  1. Good on you - I'm in awe of how you pulled yourself together, got up there and spoke with peace and gratitude. Very, very well done. Congratulations! And high-five for meeting Queen Latifah too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You were amazing. I'm glad I had a little time to chat w/ you in the Serenity Suite at the Sheraton. You amaze and inspire me and so many others. I relate to so much of this, especially since Alexandra Rosas & I did a #ROYO on Shedding the Facade & Blogging With Vulnerability. It's true. Dump the fear. Be naked and open and share yourself, your truths.

    I feel lucky to have met you in person and heard you speak at the VOTY keynote.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was a wonderful post. My fear centers around money and debt. When I walk through the grocery store the people are saying "look at her, she shouldn't be here with all that debt. Why isn't she making more money, she's a lawyer for heaven's sake." Quieting that voice takes some work.
    But really, does it serve me or the world or increase my ability to change my situation and earn more if I willingly feel like a loser all the time?

    I recently had to tell my mother (gasp!!) about my situation, since I needed her help. We aren't close, and telling her was like flaying myself alive. But you know what? I wasn't flayed alive. I was mildly uncomfortable for a time, she asked some good questions, and agreed to help. And then I could breathe. And even though it still feels uncomfortable to have shared it, I know it is important to her to know more about me.

    A rambling comment to say that your blog posts make a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  4. <3 Just love reading your words...so glad you had this experience and even more, I am glad you got to enjoy it! Prayer is an amazing thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You were amazing! And, it was such a joy to watch you shine.

    So glad we met. And look forward to seeing you again--soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh how I wish I could have been there to see you SHINE !!!! You are a true inspiration to so many of us, and I thank god I found you when I needed your words the most. Thank you
    Kim from CT

    ReplyDelete
  7. I could have written the first part of your post. Fitting in, fear of behind disliked, false extroversion, numbing it. I haven't found my tribe yet, bit I am still healing and I know they will show up. Congratulations on the conference!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sometimes you just hit me spot on with your blog - thank you! Elisabeth

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loving reading all your posts about addiction Ellie - you get it, and I need to hear people that get it.

    You're so right. It is a fear driven illness - the disease of more, as I've often heard it called. Because nothing is ever enough. I always demanded more than my fair share of the security, love, attention, and validation. And if I didn't get it from outside sources I couldn't be ok.

    In sobriety I'm learning to trust a higher power and look within to feel ok. It's a struggle, but it's better than what I had, and I know I will grow and it will get better.

    Lots of love,
    Gappy. x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved hearing you read, and loved talking to you in the Serenity Suite!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Arbonne International The Truth is usually a Florida centered multi-level marketing firm that will has specialized in many different healthy skin care and plastic solutions. With in excess of 2 hundred healthy skin care solutions intended for equally adult males.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your love spell has huge powers! I cant believe what's happening to me! It's been only 2 weeks since you did that spell and Vincent is already after me. Since the last week-end he phoned at least 4 times. I believe he seems to realize his mistakes. It's absolutely happening as you said!! Thank you! Your work is helping me so much… Without you I would feel so lonely and miserable... Thank you! Rose if you need help contact him via yekinipoweroflovetemple@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can't thank you enough for all that you have done for me. About a year ago I my partner split up, we had both made BIG mistakes in our relationship. He ended up moving away from me to pursue a new life. I knew in my heart that he would be the only one to make me happy. I was relieved when I found your email on a site about what you have done. I requested 1 to 2 day casting of the reunite us love spell and within 4days mark company had relocated him back to our hometown where I still lived. We immediately reconnected and move in with each other. Our wedding date is set for (OCT 2013) Expect to see your invite in the mail thanks to yekinipoweroflovetemple@hotmail.com



    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear friends, i had a problem with my girl friend 1year ago, which lead to our broke up. when she broke up with me, i was not my self again, i fill so empty inside me. until a friend of my Walt pen told me about a spell caster who helped him in the same problem too. i email the spell caster and i told him my problem and i did what he asked of me, to cut the long story short. before i knew what was happening my girl friend gave me a call and told me that she was coming back to me and was so joyous to have her back to me. we have two kids together and we are happy with our selves. thanks to yekinipoweroflovetemple@hotmail.com for saving my relationship and for also saving others own too. continue your good work the great spell caster.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I want to appreciate a powerful spell caster who indeed brought my husband back within 48hours after i have contacted him templeofemahama@gmail.com and i was surprise my husband cam back after i have done everything the spell caster required me to do and am living happily since this powerful spell caster has done wonders in my life and you can also call him on +2348071906431 for quick respond to solve your problems

    ReplyDelete
  16. I want to appreciate a powerful spell caster who indeed brought my husband back within 48hours after i have contacted him templeofemahama@gmail.com and i was surprise my husband cam back after i have done everything the spell caster required me to do and am living happily since this powerful spell caster has done wonders in my life and you can also call him on +2348071906431 for quick respond to solve your problems

    ReplyDelete

  17. Need a spell caster?then think of DR,OBEYED he is real reliable and he does what he promise you.I know all this because he helped with my marriage problem.For security reason i will not live my name here but i can tell you all he did to help me.Me and my family live in the US military base here in America,my wife is a solider and i love it that she is and i support.But being a solider means she is half my wife and fully the U.S army.before her three tour we were so in love and we had a kid son who we both love him.It all changed after her two tour in Iraq and Afghanistan,i noticed the distance her second tour she stopped call at first i thought maybe she was part of an accident but i found out that she was OK in Afghanistan.She explained that she always on patrol.It got ugly on the third. I guess in the last two tours she found herself a new lover and then totally forgetting me and our boy.I can not say i did not notice because she always has to be some where instead of with me,coming up with some silly excuse not to be with me that is ( have sex ) and her entire behavior told me all i needed to know. i did my research and i had a hint that it was her squad lieutenant.I had know evidence so a could not take the matter to any body.It killed me to seeing this happen i was going suicidal.What hurt me the most was she going home knowing that i suspect she infidelity,she kept lying to me over and over again.The power of positive thinking helped me a lot.I thought that maybe i can find in the help on the internet with the people who had being in the same problem with him.I found a lot of ways but nor worked except DR,OBEYED spell.At that time five month ago i was so confused that i could do anything to get my wife back so i contacted DR,OBEYED with his email address i saw in some comment on the internet at drobeyedspellcaster@gmail.coml.co m.I laid down my problem to him and told him the entire story and he even confirmed my hint was right, how he did i do not know but he was right because my wife told me later after the spell was made effective. DR,OBEYED cast a spell on them both do not know what he did but it seem he made them both forget they ever crossed path romantically speaking like they never know each other expect there official relationship that is squad leader and solider.I owe my life to DR,OBEYED what he did saved my marriage.I can tell you this because i have tried and it worked for me.Your case also have a solution with DR,OEYED contact him with his email: drobeyedspellcaster@gmail.com


    ReplyDelete
  18. I had my long distance relationship for almost 4 years now, Our
    relationship was okay and good, but for some reasons I couldn't
    understand My ex husband broke up with me for almost 3 weeks now, and
    it me sad, frustrated, devastated having mix emotions to face the
    reality that he doesn't want to work it out anymore, I dint know what
    else to do until i search and bumped into this testimonies regarding
    Love spell and i read some of those who had the same problem i had and
    until i found Dr. Moon who can cast spells to bring your partner back
    at first i was hesitant to do so but eventually i tried his power to
    cast spell bring back your partner back because of his kind hearted,
    generosity He did Help me and i am so happy to have contacted him
    doctormoontemple778@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Dr Malaika doesn’t ask for testimonies and he doesn’t charge. His email is odogwumalaika@gmail.com He is genuine and people get to meet him by luck.
    But right now am your luck if you meet him. Every other testimonies of spell casters you read here are scams.
    Dr Malaika lives in Nigeria and I happened to meet him by chance after a friend told me about how he brought back
    her ex and restored her lost womb. She also told me about how Dr Malaika cures all forms of illness ranging from
    HIV to Cancer, Fibroid, and Infertility and also Money spells. I followed those other internet testimonies and was
    hugely scammed to the extent that I wanted to kill myself. Dr Malaika turned my situation around, He made my ex
    come crawling on his knees to have him back. His email address is odogwumalaika@gmail.com , mobile: +2347065448120
    but please don’t make him know that I published
    him on net. He is just wonderful and I wish whoever that finds him good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  20. My name is Mrs Williams. Am here to testify to the general public about the magic of this great online spell caster. My husband abandoned me and the kids for almost a year because of another lady. I was so devastated and confused in his eight months of absence from the house. I tried several online spell casters, but they all disappointed me and ran away with my money. One day a friend of mine gave me the email address of this great spell caster, my friend told me to try her so I contacted this great woman on queenofmarinesolutiontemple@gmail.com and told her all i was going through. This great woman told me not to worry that shewill make my husband return home within 48 hours, i was not sure if he could do it because over five different spell casters have all failed me in the past. But i decided to give her a chance to prove herself , to my greatest surprise this great woman cast a return love spell on my husband and in less than 24 hours my husband returned home crying and begging me to forgive him and accept him back. It was so shocking and amazing. If you also want to witness the great magic of this mother then simply contact her now via email address, queenofmarinesolutiontemple@gmail.com

    You can also contact this great queen on the following kind of problems.

    (1) Spell to make girls/men to run after you.

    (2) Death spell.

    (3) 100% real money spell.

    (4) Protection from evil attack spell.

    (5) Office promotion spell.

    (6) Salary increment spell.

    (7) Do as I say spell.

    (8) Beauty spell.

    (9) Spell to cure all kinds of diseasea including HIV/AIDS.

    (10) Examination and interview success spell and many more.

    Contact her on,queenofmarinsolutiontemple@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. How to get your Ex-boyfriend/Ex-girlfriend back fast!
    I cant believe it! Dr.Unity your love spell casting really worked! My ex-boyfriend ( is now my boyfriend once again) sent me an SMS last Wednesday night, wanting us to get back together again...and here we are! Yes, we are back in each others arms once again. Everything is back to normal but this time our relationship is much more sweeter and much more serious and we are both committed to each other. I just want you guys to know how much I thank DR UNITY! If you are there and your lover is turning you down, or your husband moved to another woman, do not cry anymore, email him at: Unityspelltemple@gmail.com or Add him up on Whats-app: +2348071622464,you can also visit his website:http://unityspelltemple.yolasite.com .
    Danielle N,USA.

    ReplyDelete
  22. good thought about a fairly secure temperature that most official website with its eco-friendly burner as well as low-NOx design nice.

    ReplyDelete