Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Shining Strong - Working Towards My Dream

Of course it is probably premature to talk about this.

Of course I'm going to anyway.

My father (who died suddenly in June of 2011) brought me up to always try to give back to any community I serve, as he did for those he served (and they were plentiful).

I've written about my creative explosion, the coming together of several creative projects that I realized recently will always share a common goal, whether it is a website (like Crying Out Now) or an internet talk show/podcast (like the Bubble Hour) or even One Crafty Mother, or an income producing businesses like Shining Stones, the soon-to-be launched Two Little Birds Studio, and my book Let Me Get This Straight.

The mission of all these endeavors is to provide support, community, resources and comfort to women struggling with addiction or alcoholism, or simply looking for a safe place to explore their drinking, or to provide income to support these endeavors.

So I created a new website/organization with the goal of creating a not-for-profit that will be the umbrella organizations to all the endeavors.

I did a lot of soul searching when I was laid up with cancer; I had a lot of time to think.  As I've written about recently, it gave me this overpowering feeling to do something with my life, and not to aggressively wait for it to come to me, to take action, do my best and be ready for ANY outcome.

I can only do the next right thing, get advice from loved ones and professionals (which I'm doing) and hope that this dream will become a reality. I know it may not work, and I know it's a heart-dream because I'm okay with trying and failing with this project WAY more than I'm okay with not trying at all.

I've been afraid to start plenty of new ventures for fear of failing, but not this one.

There will be way more to come about Shining Strong, and it will take months to get all the pieces in place.  But I can get the footprint out there on the internet, get the infrastructure in place so if and when it becomes and official non-profit I am ready to go.

I'd be honored if you'd check out the brand spanking new website here, (be kind, grammarians, spell-checkers and designers .. it is in its infancy and is only barely ready for viewing).

I also created a new facebook page, and if you'd come "like" it, it would make me really happy.  :)  If you're up to it, it would be awesome if you'd follow the brand-new Twitter Page, too.  It's very lonely there at the moment.

I dedicate all of this in honor of the legacy of my father, who instilled in me - with my mother right beside him, doing the same, only I'm lucky enough that she is still here, standing shoulder-to-shoulder with me and cheering me on - the importance of giving back, especially when someone has given freely of themselves to you, like the women (and men) in my recovery community do for me every day.

I love you, Dad.  I hope you're up there smiling.

5 comments:

  1. I have tears in my eyes. I'm so proud of you. Your dad is definitely smiling down on you. I love this and I love you! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I admire your energy, enthusiasm and big dreams! Go girl! Wishing you lots of success!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This so great Ellie! I am new to recovery, and soaking up every bit of information that I can get my hands on. Thank you, thank you for another great resource! Wishing you every success.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Country singer Dude Mowrey is 46. Actor Jason Olive ( Better Coach Outlet Store or Worse) is 46. Actress Elizabeth Banks is 44. Are taking this report and all of these conditions very seriously and using Yeezy Discount it as a tool to improve. We understand there is always room for improvement. Auditor also raised concerns around a lack of trust within the board of trustees, an apparent reference to the recent resignation of trustee Lisa Davis, well known for asking tough questions around fiscal accountability and clearer student assessments..

    We also attempt Yeezy Boost 350 to retrieve those graphs New Jordan Shoes 2020 that have common similar structures but Ray Ban Glasses also have some differences. Costs that are assigned to these differences have an input upon the similarity Coach Outlet measure. A large number of experiments are performed consisting of different randomly Ray Ban Outlet produced timetabling problems and the results presented here strongly indicate that a CBR approach could provide a significant step forward in Coach Handbags Clearance the development of automated system to solve difficult timetabling problems.

    ReplyDelete