Monday, July 13, 2009

Reading

I love to read. I will read just about anything. I have been this way since I was very small... I didn't ever have a "lovey" or suck my thumb or anything, but I would ask for a "bunch of books" at the end of my bed before I could fall asleep, even at the young age of 3 or 4.

I grew up watching my parents read all the time, too. It was not uncommon, especially during vacations, to see my Mom or Dad toes up on the bed or the couch totally engrossed in a book. We had a rule in my family ... when someone was nearing the end of a book, they were excused from all regular chores. We called it "thin pages".

"Mom's in the thin pages!" I'd shout to my Dad and my sister. "Don't bother her about dinner!"

My favorite thing to do as long as I can remember is to curl up with a good book. The first series I can remember loving were those ones where you got to control how the book went... anyone else remember those? You would read a few pages, and then you'd have a choice. "If you think the boy will go in the hot air balloon," it said "go to page 83." "If you think the boy will go into the creaky woods, go to page 71." Throughout the book you controlled the momentum of the story. I read these over and over again, for hours.

Waaay before the days of Harry Potter, I lost myself in Lloyd Alexander's series "The Book of Three", or the "Chronicles of Narnia". I also love TinTin comic books. I read and re-read all of these until the pages had worn thin.

So I've been thinking about books and authors that have influenced me over my life. There are authors that I consistently enjoy: Stephen King, Jodi Picoult, Barbara Kingsolver, Jane Hamilton, Sue Miller, Richard Russo. The best whodunit writer I have found is Michael Connolly and his Harry Bosch series. Or Jeffrey Deaver, especially the Lincoln Rhyme books. I am by no means a literary snob. I get enjoyment from just about any kind of book, although I admit I'm not a fan of romance novels. The scariest book I ever read was "Gerald's Game" by Stephen King. I am still haunted by the imagery in that story. The saddest book, or one of the saddest, is "The Deep End of the Ocean" by Jacquelyn Mitchard. The funniest book is "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" by the late, great Douglas Adams.

So over the past couple of days, I was thinking about those few books that have had special importance to me. You know the ones you can read over and over and not grow tired of? Each time you read them, especially at different stages in your life, you get something more out of the story. The writing is lyrical, the imagery so powerful it is like the story plays out like a movie in your head. You become so attached to the characters you feel like you know them. When you finish the book, you are sorry you're done, because you know you will never read that book for the first time ever again.

It was hard for me to narrow this list down to only five. So here is a list of six. Six books that have stayed with me, regardless of how long ago I read them, or how many times I have read them since. I reach for them again and again, because I know they will deliver the whole package. So here they are, in no particular order:

1) The Sheltering Sky, by Paul Bowles - I first read this when I was 21 and fresh out of college. It has been made into a movie, but it is the book that really gripped me. I read it again recently, thinking perhaps youthful wander lust is what made me love it so at 21, and it spoke to me on entirely different levels at 40.

2) A Map of the World, by Jane Hamilton - I first read this before I became a mother, and the storyline gripped me and held me from the first few pages. It is a story of human failings and frailties, misunderstandings and regret. It is beautifully written, with a wonderful eye for plot.

3) Prodigal Summer, by Barbara Kingsolver - Barbara Kingsolver is one of the great writers of our time. I loved the Poisonwood Bible as well, but I read Prodigal Summer in the throes of active alcoholism and this book still touched me deeply, even though it has nothing to do with addiction. The writing is so beautiful it reads like a musical score. Re-reading it sober was like receiving a gift all over again. Just beautiful.

4) The Kite Runner, by Khaled Hosseini - one of the more predictable books on this list - many, many people loved this book. I didn't expect to like it, reading the jacket cover. It was about a part of the world and a culture that I had sort of a visceral reaction against. It moved me deeply - it was difficult to believe this story came out of a person's imagination. I didn't see the movie, and I'm not going to.

5) Memoires of a Geisha, by Arthur Golden - Again, not a subject matter I felt particularly drawn to when I read the book jacket. I somehow missed that the author was male, and was about halfway through the book when I realized this powerful woman's tale was written by a man. An engaging and beautiful story, and one that can be read again and again.

6) Nobody's Fool, by Richard Russo - Just read it. It is so good. And don't see the movie until you have read it. If you have already seen the movie - read it anyway.

There are many authors of note that I need to mention - I read all their novels and love most of them: Andre Dubus III - I am currently reading The Garden of Last Days and am in awe of his character development, eye for plot and ability to draw the reader in immediately. The House of Sand and Fog was an amazing book, too. I read all of Jodi Picoult's books - my favorite is still The Pact - she is always great for an entertaining plot line with lots of twists and turns, but sometimes I think she is reaching a bit. Sue Miller, who I have already mentioned, has insight into the frailties of familial relationships, marriages and the human heart that I find moving. Jane Smiley's A Thousand Acres is a great read, however I haven't been as fond of her other novels. The Book of Ruth by Jane Hamilton is a work of dramatic genius. Richard Russo's Straight Man is a work of comic genius.

And I will always have a soft spot in my heart for John Irving's The Hotel New Hampshire. That was the first real "adult" book I read, and I still use a line from this book in my daily life ... "You have to keep passing the open windows".

I didn't even touch upon the classics, because I simply don't have that much time. I need to get back to The Garden of Last Days. I'm in the thin pages.

I'd love to hear from all of you - what books would be on your all-time favorite list, and why?

24 comments:

  1. i love the idea of "thin pages."
    i've never thought of using it in my family, but i think i will with my children. what a great way to allow children and adults a little moment of alone time. thank you for sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Post...Great List! Thank you
    Here's 4 of mine:

    She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb
    Prince of Tides by Pat Conroy
    The Book of Ellen by Jane Hamilton
    Running With Scissors by Augusten Burroughs

    Karin in CT

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear you are getting some R&R!

    I, too, love to read. Right now I'm up to my eyebrows in Critical Theory and books like "Camera Lucida" and "On Photography". It's not all bad though!

    "Thin pages"? Hmmmm wonder if that would work here?

    Here are some of my favorites:
    Mayflower: A Story of Courage, Community, and War By Nathaniel Philbrick
    Cape Cod By William Martin (I have been reading this book over and over since my junior summer of high school; I am almost 35!)
    Middlesex By Jeffrey Eugenides
    Three Billy Goats Gruff.....trip, trap, trip, trap

    Enjoy the rest of your week!
    C

    ReplyDelete
  4. After you have read a really really good book, isn't it hard to know what to read next? Do you turn immediately to another "depth finder" or do you go for a "piece of fluff" before getting into another wonderful read?

    Isn't it amazing how you can recall the feelings and emotions of really good books even after years go by... but the "fluff books" are hard to recall two weeks later!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh, I love to read too. I'm proudly the prdouct of two English teachers. My father was the English Lit prof and my mother taught grammar. I didn't stand a chance! Anyway, my favorite book of all time is Tess of the D'urbervilles by Thomas Hardy. I had to read it for summer reading going into the 10 grade and have loved it ever since.
    If you liked Kite Runner, please read A Thousand Splendid Suns also by Khaled Hosseini. It's much harder to read than Kite Runner, but written so beautifully!

    Also, I agree with Sunny. I have a hard time following a good read. I go through periods of heavy reading (Joyce Carol Oates) and fluff (Marian Keyes). I have also stared keeping a book journal, recording everything I read. I hate not being able to recall the all the books in my past! Of course part of the reason is because I'd rather forget my Danielle Steele phase! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love diving into a really thick enthralling book. James Michner and John Irving were two of my favorites because you could really lose yourself in their books.

    My all time favorite novel is "The Journeyer" by Gary Jennings. It is the tale of Marco Polo.

    "Ahab's Wife" by Sena Jeter Naslund and "Star Rover" by Jack London are my other two that I recommend to friends and family.

    Summer reading is such a delight!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ugh, I meant "product"! My mother would be mortified.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Normally I am not a commenter, but this post pulled me in! I have always been a reader, usually two or three books at a time. I will read any of Madeleine L'Engle's books over and over, but particularly "A Wrinkle in Time." Terry Pratchett will always make me laugh (I, too, love Douglas Adams)and whenever I am in need of comfort and reassurance, I re-read the "Little House" series by Laura Ingalls Wilder. Barbara Kingsolver is another favorite (I love her essays as well as her fiction) and Amy Tan.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fiction: Lonesome Dove, McMurtry
    Prayer for Owen Meany, Irving

    Non fiction: Angela's Ashes, McCourt
    The Color of Water, McBride

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am an avid reader and have been since I was little. It's my mothers fault. During the summer breaks anyone at my house was required to read for at least 30 min. after lunch. It was a quiet time and all kids were much calmer afterwards. As for a favorite book

    The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have such a hard time picking favorites, I can go through two or three books a week when I am "on a tear". Lately I have been having trouble finding things I want to read, I am so glad this post came up and I am taking down all your suggestions.

    One thing that I have been doing a lot lately when I forget a book is reading through the archives of my favorite blogs, it's been handy having a phone with internet access.

    The last book I read was "It Sucked and Then I Cried" by Heather Armstrong (she of the website Dooce.com) which was really frank and very funny.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, and for "cbs" above, I have been loving Library Thing.com for keeping track of books I have read, although I haven't had time to really get in there and put them all in.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I read Memoirs of a Geisha too. It was a nice read and a powerful story but I had trouble with the male author equating the job of a Geisha to the American housewife. It bugged me a little. But it was still a powerful story and a good read.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this post! Here are my five (not in order):

    ~Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
    ~How to Kill A Rock Star by Tiffanie DeBartolo
    ~A Million Little Pieces by James Frey
    ~Running with Scissors by Augusten Burroughs
    ~The Lovely Bones by Alice Walker

    I don't necessarily read them over and over, but they're the books that I can just pick up and feel happy about...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi El, I love reading =) this. And finding about about "thin pages". It's funny, I can see it in the Strong family, gives me new insights! Most of my favorite books -- aside from the Torah and related books, take place in England. I loved my time time there and books -- particularly mysteries/suspense taking place there, now or in history (I guess no surprise since I am History of Europe esp. Britain).I also enjoy those that take place in Europe. There was a favorite book that I used to read in the living room corner of our house, I'd read from the built in bookshelves -- Classic Chinese Fairy Tales -- In English. I'm not particularly sure why I was so drawn to them, but I did save the book and it is in my bookcase today some 30+ years later. Yes TIN TIN, I used to read that in the town library in that corner to the right of the check out counter in the children's room. Do you remember when you were ready to read books in the upstairs room. I still think those stairs to the upper level in the adult room is neat. I remember discovering a grew Madeleine L'engle book in the children's room larger room -- also seeing The Red Balloon. And of course Mrs. Flowers, Remember her?.... Lots of good book and reading memories. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  16. "The Portrait Of Dorian Grey" by Oscar Wilde. I've just recently found out that the true title of the book is "The Picture of Dorian Grey". However, I've loved this book since I read it for high school in my early teens. I guess even then (before drugs and alcohol, sex and hedonism ever swept me off my feet in later years), I understood what it meant to be absorbed by illusion and fantasy. So, to this day and for that reason, I will always love this story!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks, everyone for the wonderful comments and suggestions!

    I can't believe I forgot to put "A Wrinkle In Time" down as one of my all-time favorites. I will never look at mitochondria (sp?) the same away again.. :)

    S.E. Hinton's book were also very influential ... I was obssessed with them as a pre-teenager.

    And I also loved 'A Prayer for Owen Meany' and 'A Thousand Splendid Suns'.

    And GraceWhiteBuddy - I totally remember finally being old enough to go upstairs in the library.. I remember the smells of the stacks, and holing up there for hours. And, of course, Mrs. Flowers!

    Thanks for the comments - I have a bunch of new books to read now! Keep 'em coming!

    -Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  18. The more I read your blog the more I realize how much alike we are! I also love to read and I find myself sneaking off into quiet corners of the house while my kids play to read a few pages!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi, I don't usually comment, but I just wanted to add the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon to your list of must read books. Another one is "Ender's Game" by Orson Scott Card. I'm an extremely avid reader and these are two of my favourites.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Um The Deep End of the Ocean was written by Jacquelyn Mitchard not Sue Miller. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow ~ I continue to find similarities with you! Richard Russo has always been a favorite author of mine. He taught at Colby College when I was a student there between 86 and 90. After I graduated I taught in the same town and had his daughter in my homeroom. My claim to fame! I also loved Empire Falls, for which he won a Pulitzer prize. Being an English teacher, I was snobby about the books I chose to read. I didn't read Jodi Picoult for a long time because my sister, a fan of Danielle Steele, recommended her to me. I thought for sure her books would be "beneath me." But once I swallowed my ego and picked up The Pact, I was hooked. (Obviously humility was something I had to work on when I was getting sober!) I also love Kingsolver. I just finished teaching The Bean Trees, my favorite book of hers, to my senior Special Ed. class. Four boys ~ and they loved it. Before that we read Kite Runner. (See what I mean about similarities.) I must admit that I am a huge fan of Robert Parker, a mystery writer from Boston, and read all of his books that I can get my hands on. Chris Bohjalian is a new favorite. I loved Before You Know Kindness. Of course I am "addicted" to reading addiction memoirs. Drinking: A Love Story by Caroline Knapp was the first book I read when I was first getting sober. Can you tell this a subject I feel passionate about? My favorite form of self care is sitting in a chair and getting lost in a book. Being a working mother and wife in recovery with a 7 year old and a 4 year old leaves me little time to read, but I still anticipate the times that I can. I am currently reading "My Sister, My Love" by Joyce Carol Oates. Thanks for the topic!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh yeah ~ and I love paperbackswap.com. I get rid of books I have already read (the ones I can part with) and get new ones in the mail. Recycling at its best!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi, I don't usually comment, but I just wanted to add the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon to your list of must read books. Another one is "Ender's Game" by Orson Scott Card. I'm an extremely avid reader and these are two of my favourites.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks, everyone for the wonderful comments and suggestions!

    I can't believe I forgot to put "A Wrinkle In Time" down as one of my all-time favorites. I will never look at mitochondria (sp?) the same away again.. :)

    S.E. Hinton's book were also very influential ... I was obssessed with them as a pre-teenager.

    And I also loved 'A Prayer for Owen Meany' and 'A Thousand Splendid Suns'.

    And GraceWhiteBuddy - I totally remember finally being old enough to go upstairs in the library.. I remember the smells of the stacks, and holing up there for hours. And, of course, Mrs. Flowers!

    Thanks for the comments - I have a bunch of new books to read now! Keep 'em coming!

    -Ellie

    ReplyDelete